Are there any decent MS programs other than GT,RF?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MyNameIsAlex

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any decent MS programs other than GT,RF? :)

Members don't see this ad.

What do you want to do your MS in?

anything that will increase my chances of getting into medical school

Members don't see this ad :)
do u care if its 1 or 2 years?

Drexel's program offers a master's but it takes two years to complete. In my second year now and its paid off big time to stay the extra year. I can elaborate more if you'ld like.

MyNameIsAlex said:
Are there any decent MS programs other than GT,RF? :)

there is the MAMS at Boston University School of Medicine (1-2 years for masters) and the IMS at Drexel (2 years for masters, 1 year for certificate) and both are similar to GT SMP and RF AP in that you take MEDICAL school classes either with the medical students or in a separate class but still graded on the med student curve.

PegasisGMS said:
Drexel's program offers a master's but it takes two years to complete. In my second year now and its paid off big time to stay the extra year. I can elaborate more if you'ld like.

I d like :D

PegasisGMS said:

I'd like it as well :)

nice link thanks! :)

I have heard that Drexel and Boston University have good smp style programs also :thumbup:

NRAI2001 said:

Due to popular demand....

The drexel program offers a few different programs, I'll only talk about the two I have been in. I started in the MSP program because I had never taken the MCAT. The MSP program is a year long program designed to solely prepare students for the MCAT. You will take/retake intro chem. biochem. physics I and II o-chem and physio. In addition you take a grad. pharm. class and an anatamony. of the limbs and back. Along with the classes you take weekly reviews of particular science topcis covered on the MCAT, these sessions are not mandatory and are led by former students, usually in the second year of the program. Overall, the program does a great job with providing resources that is upon the student to use, there is little to no hand holding, you gotta do the work (this is true of all the Drexel Programs). The MSP program is for students with a low MCAT or no MCAT score.

The second year for me is the IMS program but you can enroll directly into this program if your MCAT score is high enough. In this program you take most (not all) of the first year medical school classes. You will take, biochem, physio, nutrition, immuno and micro first semster. Second semster you continue with biochem. immuno, micro, physio, nutrition and at the end of the year you will add neurology. In addition there is an ethics course that spans the entire year. If you think the list of classes is long it definately is but you dont take them all at the same time. Drexel med. is on the block system so one block you will have biochem, physio immuno and micro while the next you may have biochem, physio nutrition and micro. The classes are graded based on the medical school mean, if you score around the mean of the med school class you are in B range, to get an A you have to be above the mean (we are not really sure how far above but most classes say if you are >90% you get an A, anything around 89,88 may still be considered but it varies). The program is a ton of work particularly if you are interviewing and applying to medical school at the same time. It is an excellent way to prove to ad comms. that you are able to do well in medical school.

For a master's you must do two years. If you do MSP then IMS you get a master's in biological sciences, if you do IMS and the MMS you get a masters' in medical sciene (i think). There is also a summer research component for the master's in bio. sciences. For me it was better to do both years because I needed to get a good MCAT score and raise an average GPA but I do know people that have had success with just doing MSP or just IMS.

The big down side of the program has been talked about on these boards before but i'll mention it again, the facilities are not the greatest but when it comes down to it that barely matters, you just need a desk and a teacher. The classes you take with the medical students are broadcasted over the internet and you watch them in a large lecture hall in a different building. You are not allowed to sit in the class with the medical students (not that it matters at all). Like I said I believe in the Drexel prorgam did wonders for me and I was accepted to my first choice school (UPitt) early in November. I'll be happy to answer anymore questions for you all. I hope this helps and good luck with the process. :)

Pegasis,
Thanks for the informative post. I am currently waiting to hear back from a few DO schools about interviews but am not banking too much on getting an acceptance. My stats are 3.04/2.83 GPA with a 25 MCAT (9B,9P,7V). I graduated in 2004 with a BA in chem and a minor in philosophy. I have already taken all my pre-reqs getting B's and B-'s mostly, 2C+'s. So now I am looking at post bac programs to help me out. Drexel's MSP program seems awesome and like it would be really fitting. I am also considering PCOM's post bac certificate program, LECOM's cert program and UPENN's special science post bac. What made you ultimately decide on Drexel's MSP? How much did it help your GPA and MCAT? How did you go from, I assume, a fairly average student to succeeding in the post bac and increasing your MCAT? Any advice you have would be really helpful. Thanks.
-Redwings

What's the tuition like for Drexel (MSP, MBS, and for MD)?

Thanks

redwings54 said:
Pegasis,
Thanks for the informative post. I am currently waiting to hear back from a few DO schools about interviews but am not banking too much on getting an acceptance. My stats are 3.04/2.83 GPA with a 25 MCAT (9B,9P,7V). I graduated in 2004 with a BA in chem and a minor in philosophy. I have already taken all my pre-reqs getting B's and B-'s mostly, 2C+'s. So now I am looking at post bac programs to help me out. Drexel's MSP program seems awesome and like it would be really fitting. I am also considering PCOM's post bac certificate program, LECOM's cert program and UPENN's special science post bac. What made you ultimately decide on Drexel's MSP? How much did it help your GPA and MCAT? How did you go from, I assume, a fairly average student to succeeding in the post bac and increasing your MCAT? Any advice you have would be really helpful. Thanks.
-Redwings

Drexel's MPS program is the way to go if you have less than a 27 MCAT and a borderline GPA. Although prepare to work hard and do well.

Fall Semester
Spring Semester
Annual Total

IMS Tuition
$9,680
$9,680
$19,360

MBS Tuition
$9,680
$9,680
$18,300

MMS Tuition
$7,195
$7,195
$14,390

MSP Tuition
$7,195
$7,195
$14,390

DPMS Tuition
$9,680
$9,680
$19,360

PMED Tuition
$700/credit
$700/credit
~$11,200

Med school tuition? Lets see, yup, expensive as most of them are

Drexel medical school

Fall 2004 Admissions Statistics
Acceptance rate: 11.1%
Average MCAT score (composite): 9.9

2004-2005 Expenses
Tuition: $36,080
Required fees: $1,060
Room and board: $10,230

I noticed that no one here has yet mentioned Loyola Chicago's program (MAMS). I live in Chicago and have talked to a couple of people who went through it and they really liked it. But I have nothing to base their success on other than hearsay, and that their website claims something like an 80% success rate for admission into a school (and a guaranteed interview at Loyola Med pending GPA criteria). Anyone know more about it?

ethicskid said:
I noticed that no one here has yet mentioned Loyola Chicago's program (MAMS). I live in Chicago and have talked to a couple of people who went through it and they really liked it. But I have nothing to base their success on other than hearsay, and that their website claims something like an 80% success rate for admission into a school (and a guaranteed interview at Loyola Med pending GPA criteria). Anyone know more about it?

Its a new program, only its second year. The people who did the program for the first year are still applying to med schools right now. So the results to show for the program are limited right now.

NRAI2001 said:
Its a new program, only its second year. The people who did the program for the first year are still applying to med schools right now. So the results to show for the program are limited right now.

Do you really need a minimum of a 25 MCAT to be accepted into the Loyola MAMS? I find that surprising because I know people who received a secondary from Loyola with lower than 25 MCATs and I know Loyola screens.

USArmyDoc said:
Do you really need a minimum of a 25 MCAT to be accepted into the Loyola MAMS? I find that surprising because I know people who received a secondary from Loyola with lower than 25 MCATs and I know Loyola screens.

Thats what the website says minimum 25 mcat and i think a 3.0 gpa?

There is also a glide year if you are aiming to be accepted directly into Loyola med.

NRAI2001 said:

I'm confused, though. Why, if they haven't even yet had one class get accepted, do they claim, "The faculty members are well-respected leaders in pre-medical education. M.A. in Medical Sciences students will also be supported and guided by Loyola University's highly effective Office of Pre-Health Professions as they progress through the medical school application process. Loyola graduates have a ~ 75% acceptance rate to medical school."

Are they saying that Loyola undergrads have a 75% acceptance rate? Doesn't that seem remarkably...maybe impossibly high?