Are there any desis applying for the 2009 cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi,

I'm desi also...I'd rather call myself Punjabi-Sikh, not desi as it sounds slang. I
:rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

1/2 desi, 1/2 cubano applying :D.

but applying as hispanic on the apps. applying to everywhere listed in my predents! good luck to all my peeps this cycle!

Hi,

I'm desi also...I'd rather call myself Punjabi-Sikh, not desi as it sounds slang. I'm Canadian but applying to all the private American dental schools. Good luck to everyone!

Have u decided the list of private schools u applyin to?

Members don't see this ad :)
Have u decided the list of private schools u applyin to?

Yes I have already designated the following:

Loma Linda
USC
UofP
NOVA
BU
NYU
Harvard
Creighton
Case
Temple
Penn
Meharry
Marquette

Plus Dalhousie, but its in Canada. I am pretty much applying every where that I can lol (according to my prereq's and other requirements).

Hi,

I'm desi also...I'd rather call myself Punjabi-Sikh, not desi as it sounds slang. I'm Canadian but applying to all the private American dental schools. Good luck to everyone!

I rather call myself Punjabi-Sikh, Jatt to be accurate :cool:

From Canada

wow.... there are more desis than i expected to be on SDN!!!:D

well... here are my stats:
GPA: 3.91
DAT: 21 AA, 23 PAT

So where is everybody from and where r u guys applying?

Cheaaa

RIGHT HERE!

I was wondering, are there many desis applying to dental school? I know every desi wants med, but are there many that want to do dental?

Not mine...

Another sign that you are a desi is when your parents
brain wash you early in life to become a doctor or an engineer :laugh:

To the last three posts:

Huh?
Huh?
Huh?

Yes I have already designated the following:

Loma Linda
USC
UofP
NOVA
BU
NYU
Harvard
Creighton
Case
Temple
Penn
Meharry
Marquette

Plus Dalhousie, but its in Canada. I am pretty much applying every where that I can lol (according to my prereq's and other requirements).

Hey does Dalhousie accept American DAT?

No you must write the Canadian DAT for Canadian dental schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
yes, phastoon

thats considered desi also i believe. was born in karachi

phathan, phatan, all just different roman transliterations for the same thing :)

where did all the desis go??? here's an effort on my part to revive the thread....

so how many have already turned in the application and where??

this is where i have applied so far:
UOP,
UCLA,
UCSF,
Baylor (in texas)
Houston,
san antonio,
west virginia,
VCU,
OSU,
Uconn
puerto rico.

where did all the desis go??? here's an effort on my part to revive the thread....

so how many have already turned in the application and where??

this is where i have applied so far:
UOP,
UCLA,
UCSF,
Baylor (in texas)
Houston,
san antonio,
west virginia,
VCU,
OSU,
Uconn
puerto rico.

I will start..."Main Hoon Na":D:D
UCLA:thumbup::thumbup:
Puerto Rico:thumbdown:thumbdown
So whats up with Puerto Rico? your stats are more than enough and i wont be surprised if Puerto Rico will reject you....

West Virginia has only 19 seats, San Antonio has only 7 seats, and Houston has only 1 seat for out staters although u do have a shot.

Do you guys mind telling me the site to go to check out the dental schools and how many out of states they take in? I mean I used some site last year applying, but I have totally forgot about it. Thanks, in advance.

Do you guys mind telling me the site to go to check out the dental schools and how many out of states they take in? I mean I used some site last year applying, but I have totally forgot about it. Thanks, in advance.

www.predents.com

Paki here :D...well, my parents are. I was born and raised here in the US...

And I don't know about you all, but it's tough to explain to other desi people why I CHOSE dentistry instead of settling for it...so damn annoying. No desi auntie or uncle understands a damn thing unless they see the M.D. (and no, DMD does NOT count to them :mad:).

But I don't care. Dentistry kicks *** IMO and I chose to pursue it, not settle after being rejected from Med School (check predents.com if you don't believe me)

Good Luck applying this year! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I am 100% Lahori chargha.

My, my! If it isn't the good old Khala Jaan.:D

All set for UCLA?

I am a pkaistani too ..hey khala jaan already got sccepted ..........as far as I can recall from previous reads a while back ..........

Well last time I posted, I stated that I will be re-applying if I do good on DATs this time. medalofhon0r showed me support and hope. Thanks medalofhon0r!

So it turns out that I did good and I will be applying this year. Add 1 more gujju to list y'all :D

I am thinking about applying to 10 schools. Is that enough? Here is what I have so far..

UF
NOVA
Boston
NYU
Temple

will be adding 5 more to the list just not sure which one yet...open to any suggestions that you guys have for me :) Thanks!

Hey, I'm desi from TX, what all material did you use to do so well on your DAT?

I am a Bengali-American born and raised in the 'states. I am applying to the Florida schools because I am a resident here and some other private schools. My apps just got mailed out yesterday but I will be sure to let you all know how everything turns out as time progresses. :cool:

No you must write the Canadian DAT for Canadian dental schools.

unless you are an American citizen, then you can write the American DAT. this is true for some canadian schools.

as much as i hate threads like this.....
sikh here

Where are all the Pakistanis?? :D

Good luck to everyone applying for the next session.:thumbup:

Hey y'all. Half Indian too.;)
I'm applying next year, 2011 cycle.

oh and reppin' CT.

Last edited:
COunt me in people!!!!! :D
I applied later for last cycle and my chances seem minimal ... so imma retake d DAT n apply early next cycle ...:/
P.S. how do i link this profile with predents?

Hyderbadi Muslim here. I add the "Muslim" part because of the very distinct subculture that exists in Hyderbad (best biryani and most disgusting yet charming Urdu speakers out there).

Anyways I'm pretty much in the exact same boat as Punjabikudi86. Hopefully I'll get in before I have to reapply. Anyways Good luck or Congrats to all (insert appropriate smiley...I don't do emoticons)!

P.S. How to link Predents Profile:

My Account
Edit Profile
Bottom of page
Add your predent id.
Done.

Another Guju here from Jersey, haha. I am still a sophmore working hard to raise and keep that GPA high enough!

ah Niza.. Tan q for the predents question. I appreciate that :)
P.S.> Hyderabadi biryani??? oh wow ...my mouth is watering already... i ABSOLUTELY LUV THAT STUFF :D .. oh n good luck with ur application as well... i hope v make it this cycle (SOMEHOW :/)....

I figure it's late enough in the cycle for a lot of people to know where they're going, so let's see if any of us are going to be classmates come Fall.

I'm Paki from Cali and going to Pacific. Anyone else?

Hey... am going to pacific too!! and m a gujju...

we start on July 10!! u excited??

Hey... am going to pacific too!! and m a gujju...

we start on July 10!! u excited??

Sweet! My best friend is guju so even though I'm not I totally understand everything you guys say!

Super excited. I love SF, and am ready to go to school in a place that's not the ghetto (I went to undergrad at USC). You? Are you originally from CA?

yea.... m from cali too... southern cali! see ya on July 10...:D!!!