Are there any incompetent radiologists?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wolverine32

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm interested in radiology b/c I like technology and the interaction with different medical fields. However, during my medicine and surgery clerkships, I was not that great at interpreting X-rays and CT's.

Is it fair to say that anyone can learn to become a good radiologists by working at it (reading enough, practicing with enough images)? Or, has it been anyone's experience that there are some people who just don't have it in them to be a competent radiologist?

In other words, are the skills of a radiologist learned or innate?

Thanks. :)

Members don't see this ad.

wolverine32 said:
Hi,

I'm interested in radiology b/c I like technology and the interaction with different medical fields. However, during my medicine and surgery clerkships, I was not that great at interpreting X-rays and CT's.

Is it fair to say that anyone can learn to become a good radiologists by working at it (reading enough, practicing with enough images)? Or, has it been anyone's experience that there are some people who just don't have it in them to be a competent radiologist?

In other words, are the skills of a radiologist learned or innate?

Thanks. :)

Well, the title of your post is something entirely different from what's in your post itself. Yes, there are many incompetent radiologists, as there are incompetent internists, anesthesiologists, neurosurgeons, etc.

I don't think becoming a radiologists requires an innate trait, but certainly attention to detail and subtleties will help immensely in radiology. Some say that some people have "good eyes" and some don't, but most of it can be learned by paying full attention to the study being read, spending enough time and focusing on it, and obviously having read about various findings that could be seen on each study. Radiology takes a lot of reading and seeing cases. If you are dedictated enough, you'll be fine.

I'm just the little premed right now but my entire life my dad has pretty much raised me with radiology....obviously it was only with the more obvious stuff but after a while I was able to see what was wrong...never knew the terminology or any of that..but after enough seeing it I could generally identify stuff (I am defintley not saying it is easy and everyone can do it....it was only with xrays and what not that I truly had SOME concept..I don't want to be flamed here because I don't think of myself as hot**** or anything resembling it). It is defintley possible to train your eyes to see it....an incompetent radiologist seems to be the ones that just don't care enough..With training and work it'll become second nature I assume (which can be deadly sometimes)...it is like a foreign language. When you first start it is very hard to hear the nuances, or heck even to understand a fraction of what is said...but after hour after hour of it pounding in your head, speaking it, making mistakes you just FIND yourself better and suddenly able to understand. If it is what you are interested in..then go for it man. Maybe one day I'll see you on the other end.lol If I ever even get into medschool first....babysteps for me!

(sorry to all the real radiologists..I don't mean to poach on anyone's territory here..I just go through all the areas and read stuff...occassionally answer if I can have a general idea...don't be mad :oops: )