Are there any IT professionals out there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Filibuster

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm having a bit of difficulty with respect to schools questioning my dedication to medicine after having had a ten year career in IT. I was wondering if any of you guys out there might have some info or experience with this. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm having a bit of difficulty with respect to schools questioning my dedication to medicine after having had a ten year career in IT. I was wondering if any of you guys out there might have some info or experience with this. Thanks.

Well Filibuster, you will have to justify your choices; explain them what made you switch from IT to medicine. Med schools usually look for a soulful quest in one's life; show your appreciation towards human nature. Tell them if you had an event that just changed your perspective. Be frank! Just don't hint that you dislike the IT world (if you are; hypothetically speaking). On another note, I have been an engineer for the last couple of years, too. :cool:

You went through an experience or a thought process when making the decision, right? That's what they want to know. Are you having trouble articulating how you came to the decision to go after medicine? The important part is to be honest and sincere.

I did the big corporate software thing for five years. Did the small business software thing for a year. Currently doing the independent software thing part-time while working on my post-bacc. It's like a freaking black hole -- I cannot escape!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I appreciate your advice.

I am doing the prereqs now after 13 yrs. in software. I don't so software anymore. I go to school and volunteer. It is tempting to know that there are several gigs out there but I want to show that i am really interested in medical profession. I plan to be honest with the adcoms- that I was from a different country and did not know the american system well enough to know when I could've done medicine. I was not a citizen for many years which would've stopped me right there.

Hey Folks,
I was in IT from 1997 until July. I applied last year and was warmly received (and accepted) by several schools. I belive that the key for me was to not talk about how I felt that working in the corporate world was meaningless, yada yada, but rather what my experience with IT could bring to medicine. There are a lot of opportunities for IT-literate docs in terms of EMRs, imaging, genomic stuff. I found that with a little bit of research, I could seem much more 'expert' than any of my interviewers.

But you should be forewarned that in my two weeks of medical school, it has been nothing like working, volunteering, or any of the premed classes that I took. The first two weeks are probably closest to studying for the MCAT more than anything else that I've done before. Very different.
Good luck! It can be done.

...I belive that the key for me was to not talk about how I felt that working in the corporate world was meaningless, yada yada, but rather what my experience with IT could bring to medicine. ....

This is difficult to do esp when asked, "Why medicine?" However, I like the idea of not dwelling too much on the negative aspects of corporate world and focus on the positive aspects of what your experience can bring. :thumbup:

A surgeon that I was shadowing for a while who was a former professor of surgery at Duke said that adcoms want to see a story of why and how. What he explained was that they see tons of apps that are the same if not very similar. He said a story reaches out and grabs the reader. It should entail exactly why you've decided on medicine and how you put that desire into place through decisions. He wanted me to work in his office and do some research to weave my IT skills and medicine together. Unfortunately, the pay cut would have hurt too bad and w/ a new baby on the way it just wasn't feasible. But I've taken the advice to heart in the decisions that I've made to exemplify to adcom's that I'm serious about my intentions and my desire to serve in medicine. Hope this helps.

LIke many have said, why medicine and what your prior experience would make you a competitive physician is the key.

As you may already know, medical school application numbers dropped during tech bubble, then when it burst, applicant numbers have been rising fast. In fact it is becoming more competitive than ever. e.g. at GUSOM, the class of 2010 had the highest av GPA and MCAT scores they ever had, also the lowest acceptance percentage. I am sure the trend is similar nationwide.

I am sure there is a reason why you are pursuing medicine after working in IT for many years. If that reason is something that is not going to be welcomed by ADCOM, then I would think hard about going to medicine.

I am going to put my flame jacket on, but so many got into IT for the potential of making quick bucks and sometimes quite a lot of bucks. Now that job market is not as hot, many are looking into other profession. ADCOMS know this and the last thing they want is someone pursuing medicine because of job security and $$$$.

Think about this. If IT and high tech boom comes back, and with your experience, you have the potential to earn big bucks and retire in 10-15 years with stock option, etc. would you stick with IT or would you still pursue medicine?

LIke many have said, why medicine and what your prior experience would make you a competitive physician is the key.

As you may already know, medical school application numbers dropped during tech bubble, then when it burst, applicant numbers have been rising fast. In fact it is becoming more competitive than ever. e.g. at GUSOM, the class of 2010 had the highest av GPA and MCAT scores they ever had, also the lowest acceptance percentage. I am sure the trend is similar nationwide.

I am sure there is a reason why you are pursuing medicine after working in IT for many years. If that reason is something that is not going to be welcomed by ADCOM, then I would think hard about going to medicine.

I am going to put my flame jacket on, but so many got into IT for the potential of making quick bucks and sometimes quite a lot of bucks. Now that job market is not as hot, many are looking into other profession. ADCOMS know this and the last thing they want is someone pursuing medicine because of job security and $$$$.

Think about this. If IT and high tech boom comes back, and with your experience, you have the potential to earn big bucks and retire in 10-15 years with stock option, etc. would you stick with IT or would you still pursue medicine?

Let me put it this way. If I won the entire powerball jackpot I would still persue medicine.