Are there any satisfied midlevels, or do they all want to be doctors?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm sure if there was a case against this woman she could be prosecuted for impersonating a physician. Even if she couldn't be charged because she didn't claim to be an MD, its still unethical.

Most hospitals I know of do have badges like the ones above, including one that differentiates resident from attending physicians, and the specialty of the physician. I have said before on this forum that I am all for the patient knowing who is caring for them and who they are talking to, from the housekeeper to the chief of surgery. It seems that everyone wears scrubs, including the clerks, and patients do get confused.

DNP's like her are not the only ones blurring the lines, there are others as well. How about naturopathic doctors? They are not required to do residencies, and they can practice in any non-surgical specialty they want to in some states. There are residencies available to them in various specialties, and in some of them the description states that they work alongside allopathic residents. Oregon now has a board of naturopathic medicine and I'm sure other states will follow. I personally see these "doctors" as a bigger threat to MD/DO's than the DNP's do.

Members don't see this ad.

I honestly think that most NP's who are out there working in the real world are not aware of whats going on. They just go to work, do their jobs and go home. I really don't believe that they are sneaking behind the backs of the MD's they work for and lobbying at the state capital for equal practice rights.

Hypothetically, lets propose this situation:

In all 50 states, NP's are given fully independent practice rights in primary care specialties only. In order to practice in this capacity, and are held to the same standard of practice that MD's are which includes liability. Because the educational standards aren't close to being the same, and total independant NP practice is new, malpractice insurance is prohibitively expensive.

In addition to this option, NP's may choose to keep practicing in the same capacity that they were before the law went into effect. They may stay in collaboration with an MD, waive the right to independent practice, and do not face the same liability as the MD does. Malpractice insurance would remain the same, because the scope of practice hasn't changed.

Option 3: Work in totally independent state, have malpractice paid for as well as other benefits such as DEA license paid for, patients never bother you at home (although nurses might call), work day shift, be off weekends, etc..

Members don't see this ad :)
They're not a threat to physicians, they're a threat to patients.

They certainly are, but I wouldn't be too sure that they won't claim equal rights, and by comparing med school with naturopathic school curriculum, I can see how they can convince the public that the education is the same.

http://www.nuhs.edu/show.asp?durki=475

If people compared DNP with MD/DO curriculum, its pretty clear that the DNP curriculum is lacking. If you were a layperson, and you were looking at the given link, you could be convinced that these "doctors" study the same topics as traditional MD/DO's do. What is to stop them from claiming they can do your job and advertising to the public that traditional MD's are fighting them because they just want to make money by prescribing meds and recieiving payouts from pharm companies? There are people that actually believe this.

I think that all the effort into destroying NP's is basically leaving left field wide open for people like this or other "doctors" such as chiropractors to claim equal practice rights.

Last edited:
Option 3: Work in totally independent state, have malpractice paid for as well as other benefits such as DEA license paid for, patients never bother you at home (although nurses might call), work day shift, be off weekends, etc..

Yes but who would be willing to pay the malpractice insurance for you if its so expensive that the organization is not going to make any money on you? It is possible, but I'm guessing that situations like that will be few and far between.

Even if the MD and the NP can bill the same way, if they have to pay tens of thousands more to insure you, why would it be worth it for them to hire you over the MD? Maybe in areas where they cannot recruit MD's, but not in big cities or metro suburban areas.

I honestly think that most NP's who are out there working in the real world are not aware of whats going on. They just go to work, do their jobs and go home. I really don't believe that they are sneaking behind the backs of the MD's they work for and lobbying at the state capital for equal practice rights.

The problem is not "most NP's." The problem is "NP/NP advocates in positions of power" that have effectively changed the role of NP's in the health care system. Once the flood gates are open.... NP's would be hard pressed to deny themselves their new, legal rights to practice with an essentially equal scope to medical residency graduates.

NYRN said:
In all 50 states, NP's are given fully independent practice rights in primary care specialties only. In order to practice in this capacity, and are held to the same standard of practice that MD's are which includes liability. Because the educational standards aren't close to being the same, and total independant NP practice is new, malpractice insurance is prohibitively expensive.

I don't think NP's will get sued at nearly the same rate as MD's. All studies have shown that the rate of lawsuits have nothing to do with the competency of the treating provider, but rather the personal feelings a patient has towards their provider. IMO -- and this is just an opinion -- Dr. Nurse is far more easier to sympathize and understand than the evil Dr. Physician. Just ask Obama-- nurses are there to help patients, while doctors are there to make a buck. MDs are big targets. RNs are not.

I think that all the effort into destroying NP's is basically leaving left field wide open for people like this or other "doctors" such as chiropractors to claim equal practice rights.

There is no effort underway to "destroy NPs."

There is, however, an effort underway to debunk NP claims of physician equivalency.

Big difference.

There is no effort underway to "destroy NPs."

There is, however, an effort underway to debunk NP claims of physician equivalency.

Big difference.

I didn't really mean "destroy" NP's. It just seems to me that all the effort is focused on NP's when you have many others who are just as much of a threat if not moreso. The focus has to be on ALL groups that will claim equivelancy and all that are a threat. By focusing on the NP's only, laypeople are going to see it as the big bad doctors wanting to keep money in their pockets and away from the nurses.

The message has to change from bashing NP's, to one where the public is shown in numbers, the training required by MD/DO's, NP's, PA's, ND's, etc. Put up a big billboard showing the years required for school + residency and the board exams and certifications that are required for practice compared to what these others have to do. You want patients to choose physician care, not feel like they are "forced to" because the doctors shut down the NP's.

The problem is not "most NP's." The problem is "NP/NP advocates in positions of power" that have effectively changed the role of NP's in the health care system. Once the flood gates are open.... NP's would be hard pressed to deny themselves their new, legal rights to practice with an essentially equal scope to medical residency graduates.

I don't think NP's will get sued at nearly the same rate as MD's. All studies have shown that the rate of lawsuits have nothing to do with the competency of the treating provider, but rather the personal feelings a patient has towards their provider. IMO -- and this is just an opinion -- Dr. Nurse is far more easier to sympathize and understand than the evil Dr. Physician. Just ask Obama-- nurses are there to help patients, while doctors are there to make a buck. MDs are big targets. RNs are not.

Well, there are plenty of doctors in power who support Obamacare and are making all the wrong decisions for medicine. You are no more responsible for that than the NP's who are not involved in politics in stopping these loons.

I have heard about these studies you mention, but I seriously doubt that if someone is seriously injured that the patient and/or the family is not going to sue. Even if there are less mistakes by the NP, the mistakes might be much worse than the ones made by the MD practicing in the same capacity. Besides, I'm pretty confident that these new NP's who worked 1 year as an RN before they went to NP school, are going to screw up bigtime.

I didn't really mean "destroy" NP's. It just seems to me that all the effort is focused on NP's when you have many others who are just as much of a threat if not moreso.

If you're referring to NDs, we've been successful thus far in blocking their efforts to gain licensure in my state.

Different issue, really.

Well, there are plenty of doctors in power who support Obamacare and are making all the wrong decisions for medicine. You are no more responsible for that than the NP's who are not involved in politics in stopping these loons.

Again, if practically every nursing professional organization in the country is supporting expanded scope for DNP's... then it's not an isolated set of events that we're witnessing.

I have heard about these studies you mention, but I seriously doubt that if someone is seriously injured that the patient and/or the family is not going to sue. Even if there are less mistakes by the NP, the mistakes might be much worse than the ones made by the MD practicing in the same capacity. Besides, I'm pretty confident that these new NP's who worked 1 year as an RN before they went to NP school, are going to screw up bigtime.

Not conceding that point, but for arguments' sake, let' s accept it. The big question is, will DNP's be held to the same standards as MD's? The definition of medical malpractice, at least according to the woefully inadequate lecture I received in med school, was an action/inaction that would not be done by the AVERAGE physician in that field, in the same situation. I'm willing to bet that malpractice for DNP's will be defined against the average DNP.

I'm sure the nursing lobby will fight for some sort of protection against lawsuits. If they're successful, they can be like the CRNA's in Colorado-- independent practice rights, but ultimate liability for their actions belongs to the operating surgeon. Lord help us all..

Again, if practically every nursing professional organization in the country is supporting expanded scope for DNP's... then it's not an isolated set of events that we're witnessing.

Not conceding that point, but for arguments' sake, let' s accept it. The big question is, will DNP's be held to the same standards as MD's? The definition of medical malpractice, at least according to the woefully inadequate lecture I received in med school, was an action/inaction that would not be done by the AVERAGE physician in that field, in the same situation. I'm willing to bet that malpractice for DNP's will be defined against the average DNP.

I'm sure the nursing lobby will fight for some sort of protection against lawsuits. If they're successful, they can be like the CRNA's in Colorado-- independent practice rights, but ultimate liability for their actions belongs to the operating surgeon. Lord help us all..

You do bring up some good points. Lets say that you are right, that DNP's are going to be compared to DNP's and not to physicians. You will have some of the NP population who are experienced and are good at what they do, but you will also have a large number of DNP's who are fresh out of nursing school who want to earn $ but have no clue what they are doing since they didn't/hardly work/ed as a nurse. The people that are in it for the money are going to screw up and be sued out of practice/have licensed revoked, or they are going to realize that nursing in any shape, is not something you can do soley for the money (just like medicine). Just as everyone jumped on the RN bandwagon years ago because of the pay, a lot of those people who did it just for the paycheck have already left the profession.

If physicians haven't been able to fight for malpractice reform, I don't see how DNP's are going to be able to. That is nuts about what is going on in Colorado, but in those cases the operating surgeons should not agree to sign off on the CRNA's work.

Just to address the issue of ND, DC, PharmD, OD, shamens, etc...

In many states physician groups are or have been fighting legislation to prevent them from having "unlimited" practice rights.

It is a constant battle to protect patients from all sorts of folks who are inadequately trained from trying to become "physicians".

Just this past summer/fall 28 states had nursing organizations introduced legislation to gain independent practice for NPs.

Sure most NPs in the hospital/clinic may not support this stuff, but the issue is very real and not just the concern of medical students on anonymous internet forums.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2010-04-16-nurse-doctors_N.htm
"We're constantly having to prove ourselves," said Chicago nurse practitioner Amanda Cockrell, 32, who tells patients she's just like a doctor "except for the pay."

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,
First of all, let me say that as a fairly new nurse practitioner I am very happy with my role. I have never in any way, or have I ever been encouraged by any instructors, other NPs, etc. to feel like I'm in the position to compete with physicians/NPs/etc. We are just another member of the healthcare team. We are trained and capable of providing quality primary care in many instances, but realize that we have many, many limitations, and therefore must be aware of these limitations and know when to refer, or contact a collaborating physician because we, and if we aren't we should be, are in no way capable of providing the knowledge or care that a trained physician is able to provide.

I'm an emergency room nurse practitioner, and I can honestly say that in my NP program, and in many others of which my friends have went in, have in no way advocated for Nps to ever call themselves doctors or physicians. Even when we talked about the DNP degree, we talked about, and most of us agreed, that in the clinical setting we should not refer to ourselves as doctors, because even if we have a doctoral degree, in the medical setting, the only providers that should refer to themselves a "doctor" is the medical or osteopathic physician. I am perfectly happy having a collaborating physician to work with. Don't judge all NPs by what a few narcissistic NPs do by running around calling themselves doctor and acting like they can replace physicians. Like I said, we are just another midlevel provider in the healthcare system, and in many cases, can alleviate the physicians workload in family practice and even specialty offices with training, by seeing less complicated or lower acutiy patients in many instances. For instance, I see more low acutiy patients in the ER. Occasionally I'll see a chest pain or a surgical abdomen, but I'm not in the trauma room intubating a traumatic limb amputee either. Many times I see the patients that are less complicated, at a lower cost for the hospital and physician group, so that the doctors are free to see the more complex/higher acutiy patients. That is fine by me. If I wanted to be the "go to" guy, I would have went to med school. I'm fine seeing the sinusitis, sprains, upper respiratory infection, etc. patients. I can see these patients and often times treat them just as well as the physician, and at the same time allow them the opportunity to spend more time with patients that need them most. So, in the end, I know at least for myself, and many of the NPs I have worked with/went to school with/learned from, we aren't trying to replace or compete with physicians. We are just here to fill a void in the healthcare delivery system while trying to maintain respect and some form of autonomy so that we can provide the best care for our patients.

I'm sure there are some groups that are getting on their high horse acting like NPs are so great, can do this as well as docs, that as well as docs, blah, blah, blah, but I'm just as opposed to that nonsense as physicians are. It's nonsense. Unless we go to medical school, we can go and get our DNP, and be better NURSE PRACTITIONERS, but a medical doctor we are not, and until we go to those four years of medical school, and do an internship, and a residency that requires long hours and years of dedication, there is limitations to what we should be able to do, and what we should be able to call ourselves. Don't get me wrong, I'm proud to be a nurse practitioner. I love my job, and I love the profession. I'm very happy with my job. Still, I know my limitations, and respect MDs/DOs, PAs, and other NPs alike. Sorry to get so long winded!

Kyboynp, APRN, NP-C

Here's a fun one, where they're ALL Dr's! (scroll down to mid page)

http://www.medcenterone.com/painmanagement/index.asp

I wonder if the "Dr" with no credentials at the end is ... honestly, who the hell knows!

If you did a "little" bit of searching on the website you would find the last one is a MD and board certified. the other two are master's prepared not doctoral. I would suggest their public relations department may have been a bit confused?

I have just graduated and haven't begun working as a NP yet, but I am totally satisfied with my prospects. I admit to being slightly disappointed that I can't get my dream job, which is working as a NP at the health department (they aren't hiring now) but I have a few good opportunities and I'm pretty psyched about the whole thing. I don't have any regrets about pursuing FNP. I've been a RN for a long time (20 years) and done a lot of different things over the course of my career, and this feels like a natural progression to me. Yup, quite happy. I am a DNP student now, but that doesn't have anything to do with anything. It's just an educational opportunity I decided to take advantage of while I have the drive!

Thanks to those of you who told me about your job and your personal satisfaction. Although the rest of the posts were interesting, reports from people who are actually working as or beginning careers as NPs/PAs is really what I wanted to read. :):D

The intent of my post was merely to talk to satisfied mid-levels who like their careers, and to hopefully get some validation that all MDs/DOs are not going to treat me like a piece of crap if I become a CNM or even a PA! Maybe it seems like a silly thing to post about, but for me, occupational satisfaction will be highly correlated with cooperating with other people in my profession and having satisfying interactions with these folks, whether they are "above me" or "below me" on the medical totem pole.

This is a real fear of mine because I currently hold a clinical doctorate in my field and I still run across the jerk doctor who thinks anyone not having MD (they even look down upon DO's) cannot possibly know anything or be able to help patients. Some people just want to belittle everyone. I always have and always stand up for myself and go on with the day. At the end of the day my patients love me and I've helped several pt's get their quality of life back by getting them amplification or diagnosed their BPPV that their primary care doc has ignored and fed antivert for years. In the end I really care only about how my patients are do, and less about what the MD's think of me or my profession. I am an amazing audiologist, and will be an amazing NP or PA whichever I decide, just as I would have been an amazing physician, but I chose a different path. I think we all need to respect each other and remember we are all in this to 1. treat the patients and 2. make a living equivalent to our level of education and education expenses.

The Coalition believes that it is inappropriate for organizations representing doctos of medicine and osteopathy (MDs and DOs) to advise legislators -- as well as consumers, regulators, policy makers, or payers -- regarding the scope of practice of other licensed healthcare professionals whose practices are authorized by law.
This was in specific response to the AMA's "Scope of Practice" white paper which examines multiple studies regarding NPs and DNPs. In short... the "Coalition of Patient Rights" doesn't want the experts in the field of health care providing their expert opinion on the appropriateness of scope of practice in the health care.

I found several of the AMA's scope of practice white papers comments to be quite hilarious. They were so ridiculous and insulting that no one took them seriously. They may be experts in the field of medicine, but expert in general med doesn't equal expert in all specialties. If they did then all the MD's can start performing hearing and balance evaluations and can begin dispensing hearing aids. The majority I've worked with have no idea how to even go about treating hearing loss or balance issues, because it often doesn't require dispensing meds. The AMA white papers were more about starting a pissing contest to get more money in their pockets than about what was best for patients. Anyone with a brain knows that.

As for the term "doctor", it's a title of respect given for someone who has attained a doctoral degree. Physicians do not own this term and never will. This is why they are called physicians and are often referred to as physicians at most hospitals to avoid any confusion. Sorry but many of us spent many years honing our specialties to earn that clinical doctorate and should be allowed to use our title.

It's always "hello my name is Dr. So and So, I'm an audiologist here at the hospital."

Just as it should be "hello my name is Dr. so and so, I'm a physician or ENT or oncologist here at the hospital"

It's about respect. Respect is a mutual thing. I think some MD's forget that. Wanting to use your official title is trying to deceive patients, it's about using your official title you earned.

To the OP, I'm a new PA. I applied and interviewed for many positions, it was important to me to have a choice. I ran into one group who plainly told me the CEO prefers NPs. Another clinic introduced me to one of the Docs I would have been working closely with, who dropped my hand like a dead rat when she was told I was a PA. Many if not most of the other groups I interviewed with preferred PAs. I finally chose a NHSC clinic (30K loan repayment each year for the first two years) that in addition offered me a 90K starting salary and had cream of the crop Docs. I've been there a week and have my own office and complete independence ... they know I'll come to them when I have a question about something I don't know or am unsure on. They trust me ... initially due to my prior healthcare experience, my interview, and that I had excellent references from Docs who explained my level of competence. I trust them right back ... initially due to my observations of the Docs and their approach to patient care, during our interview. They're wise and respectful people. After about the first two days we all knew that it was going to work well. I could not be happier with my choice.

Hope that helps, remember ... every person, situation, and system is different. Find your path and your fit. Good luck.

Last edited:
To the OP, I'm a new PA. I applied and interviewed for many positions, it was important to me to have a choice. I ran into one group who plainly told me the CEO prefers NPs. Another clinic introduced me to one of the Docs I would have been working closely with, who dropped my hand like a dead rat when she was told I was a PA. Many if not most of the other groups I interviewed with preferred PAs. I finally chose a NHSC clinic (30K loan repayment each year for the first two years) that in addition offered me a 90K starting salary and had cream of the crop Docs. I've been there a week and have my own office and complete independence ... they know I'll come to them when I have a question about something I don't know or am unsure on. They trust me ... initially due to my prior healthcare experience, my interview, and that I had excellent references from Docs who explained my level of competence. I trust them right back ... initially due to my observations of the Docs and their approach to patient care, during our interview. They're wise and respectful people. After about the first two days we all knew that it was going to work well. I could not be happier with my choice.

Hope that helps, remember ... every person, situation, and system is different. Find your path and your fit. Good luck.

Congratulations Starpower! That is awesome! I am so jealous, I'd kill to get a job in a NHSC clinic. I may have to take something in private practice if nothing in public health opens up this year, but I am trying to hold out. Good for you! and good luck :luck:

That's awesome! Not going to lie I'm envious!

It's only on this board that you hear about the "grand takeover" of medicine by NP/DNP's.

Mary whatever her name is, and her 10 followers don't represent crap. They are a bunch of loons looking for publicity. In fact, I challenge any of you docs to go around the hospital and ask nurses and NP's if they know who Mary is. I bet you they have never heard of her.

I have to agree with both of these statements. I had not heard of Mundinger until SDN, and I teach nursing! And have been a FNP for 10 years. The practicing NP's I know have not heard about her. Only those in academia have probably heard of her. We know the DNP will be phased in instead of Masters but I don't know anyone who will even consider going back to school, we're busy planning retierment! Even though we have "independent practice" here in New Mexico, (and there are a couple of FNP's who have their own clinics in this city) most work for physicians.
In rural areas like New Mexico, FNP's fill a need, there are simply not enough family practice docs.

I do know one FNP who also teaches. Now her lab coat says:
Dr. Mary Smith,PhD. Family Nurse Practitioner,
What do you guys think of that? She teaches and before coming to the university she worked at the hospital and taught in the family practice residency program. Hence the Dr. title (Phd) The residency program also employs a psychologist (PhD) his lab coat says Dr. John Smith, PhD. and a PharmD (He never wears a lab coat) that teach in the residency program.

And to answer the question for the OP! I love being a FNP, love working with both the doc, other FNP and the PA. Doc has some very interesting and complicated patients, I am always learning!!! This past year I have been trying to learn xrays, the clinic does have xrays and the radiology tech is great. Also, the pharmacist is always available to answer questions. I also love teaching undergrad nursing students. The best of both worlds.

Last edited:
What do you guys think of that?

Using both "Dr." and one's credentials together is redundant. You won't see physicians doing that. My lab coat simply has my name followed by "MD." The "doctor" part is unnecessary.

Using both "Dr." and one's credentials together is redundant. You won't see physicians doing that. My lab coat simply has my name followed by "MD." The "doctor" part is unnecessary.

really?

http://www.beautifulandhealthy.com/

sorry couldn't help it...i see it all the time on their (doc's) lab coats all over Phoenix hospitals...

nurses aren't the only goofballs that do it...

Yes but who would be willing to pay the malpractice insurance for you if its so expensive that the organization is not going to make any money on you? It is possible, but I'm guessing that situations like that will be few and far between.

Even if the MD and the NP can bill the same way, if they have to pay tens of thousands more to insure you, why would it be worth it for them to hire you over the MD? Maybe in areas where they cannot recruit MD's, but not in big cities or metro suburban areas.

Malpractice insurance for a psych NP in an independent practice state runs about $1250/annually for a $1,000,000/$3,000,000 claims made policy. Dirt cheap compared to an MD/DO.

What do you guys think of that?.

Alphabet soup is what I think. And no matter what her right to the credentials, representing yourself as a doctor while seeing patients is a slippery slope. On my own lab coat it says John Doe, physician assistant. Yet ten times a day i have to correct the patient and remind them that i am not Dr. Doe despite what it clearly says on the ID. Patients just have a hard time understanding the MLP concept....

Alphabet soup is what I think. And no matter what her right to the credentials, representing yourself as a doctor while seeing patients is a slippery slope. On my own lab coat it says John Doe, physician assistant. Yet ten times a day i have to correct the patient and remind them that i am not Dr. Doe despite what it clearly says on the ID. Patients just have a hard time understanding the MLP concept....

You're right, the whole MLP thing totally confuses patients. The other day, I slapped an ostomy pouch on a 90 year old man's icky draining abdominal wound (fistula?), and he said, "Thank you, doctor". Despite that I introduced myself as a nurse. So, hey, I saved 7+ years of medical school and residency!

Oldiebutgoodie

the only folks who really "get " mlp's easily are the ex-military folks who had most of their care delivered by pa's in the service.

the only folks who really "get " mlp's easily are the ex-military folks who had most of their care delivered by pa's in the service.

Agreed, and a large portion of the patients that see me instead of the MD are Tricare prime retired military and their spouses....

Yet ten times a day i have to correct the patient and remind them that i am not Dr. Doe despite what it clearly says on the ID. Patients just have a hard time understanding the MLP concept....

It's not just an MLP thing, though. Patients are confused about all healthcare providers (generally speaking). The average patient has little idea of the training behind RT's, rad techs, med techs, ER techs, OT's, PT's, SP's, RN's, NP's, PA's, phlebs, CNA's, LPN's, etc. As an ER tech and even a student nurse, I get called "doctor" all of the time to the point my fellow students regularly joke about it. Health care has become increasingly specialized (appropriately), but the general public has not caught up.

This is yet another reason why the title "Doctor" and the debates over it are pointless (though not nearly as stupid as the "white coat" debate). It's an intramural thing, and has little to nothing to do with confusing patients - they are already confused. To many patients, doctor=the one that treats (MD, DO, RT, SP, OD, PA, PT, NP, OT, SP), and nurse=all the others. That's not a reflection on anything other than how complex health care has become and how uneducated the treated masses are.