Are these 3 graduate courses too much?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mariposas905

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
As someone who has never taken a graduate course before, I have no idea what to expect about the workload. I am thinking of taking the following public health courses: Biostats (take-home exams though), Epidemiology, and Community Health

How much work are these courses in one semester and are they easy/doable/tough??

Members don't see this ad.

As someone who has never taken a graduate course before, I have no idea what to expect about the workload. I am thinking of taking the following public health courses: Biostats (take-home exams though), Epidemiology, and Community Health

How much work are these courses in one semester and are they easy/doable/tough??
ditto to goniff......iif you aren't doing anything else....that's easy

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
@mariposas905 Mean reported MCAT in 2016 for matriculating osteopathic students was 502.17. Mean reported MCAT for 2016-2017 for matriculating allopathic students was 508.7 with a standard deviation of 6.9. So...

@mariposas905 Mean reported MCAT in 2016 for matriculating osteopathic students was 502.17. Mean reported MCAT for 2016-2017 for matriculating allopathic students was 508.7 with a standard deviation of 6.9. So...

Yes, I know but assuming I need to retake the test anyway and if the cycle doesn't work out, will the above schedule be too much with 3 graduate courses? I just wanted to get an idea about how difficult graduate intro courses are

Why are you taking grad courses anyways OP? Why not just study for GRE and MCAT?

From what I hear though, grad courses are easy since grad students spend most of their time doing research.

iirc i heard public health courses were actually easy, which is why MPH degrees aren't viewed rigorous by adcoms.

Also grades from graduate courses don't factor into your cGPA/sGPA unless you're taking them as an undergrad. So in that note, taking graduate courses is a bit pointless in my opinion.

Why are you taking grad courses anyways OP? Why not just study for GRE and MCAT?

From what I hear though, grad courses are easy since grad students spend most of their time doing research.

I'm trying to transfer them into a masters program...this is the only I can finish a masters in one year instead of two. That way even if I don't get into med school next year, at least I can hopefully get in for 2019 with a Masters without taking yet another year off.

I'm trying to transfer them into a masters program...this is the only I can finish a masters in one year instead of two. That way even if I don't get into med school next year, at least I can hopefully get in for 2019 with a Masters without taking yet another year off.
Why not become a Jedi Master? I heard that mastery over the Jedi arts increases your cognition, persuasion, and implementation of policy reform for the sake of the greater good. Joining in a grassroots faith based campaign centered around the values of harmony and peace bears great value in a world rife with excessive standardized testing, judgmental committees, and existential extracurricular activities.

I'm sorry. I have met so many people with a masters in public health that I do not see the degree as being intrinsically valuable based on the outcomes of its many graduates who are not only intelligent, but were exploited to pursue a degree with no tangible value. To me it's like an extension of getting your bachelor's in biology within the current job market. You get outshone by all the specialty variations that target specific job sectors. Not that those are actually any more effective, but on degree alone it points towards a more specific field of interest.

Graduate classes outside of the natural sciences are usually easier than undergrad classes because grades aren't really important for most graduate programs, which are often built around a large project, thesis, or body of research. If someone close to me were in your position I would suggest he/she get a part-time job with a flexible schedule instead of paying to take classes for little reason. Even if you could parlay it into a degree I don't think it would be worth much.