Are these considered good/ unique extracurriculars?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

marie909

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
(Disclaimer: These are all things I’m passionate about…not things that I’m doing to check off boxes at all. I’m simply asking about if they’re “unique” in case any of them would make a particular school be more interested in my app in combination with my 3.5 cgpa, 3.3 sgpa and MCAT highest FL 508 but aiming for 515 ).

- I wrote and published a children’s book (a book for young black children geared towards my mission of working in areas with high monitory/ underserved populations).
- I am an assistant teacher currently at a preschool for low income families.
- I was a CNA and now EMT.
- I am serving my second term as my university’s Black Student Alliance President.
- About 400 volunteer hours through Black Student Alliance community/campus events and projects for the last 4 years.
- I am a Sunday School teacher (preschool age) (about 200 volunteer hours through that).
- Internal Medicine Shadowing
-1 year of research with the head of the Biochem department with only one poster presentation.
- Currently doing an independent research study for my Africana Studies minor

Should I be doing more? Or can I continue stacking up through these ECs?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Aside from the children's book, nothing is really unique about your application.

Are you working as an EMT or do you just have the credential?
Are you positioning your application as focusing on pediatrics? That seems to be the focus of much of your activity and you might want to shadow a pediatrician to further emphasize your interest in pediatrics and/or family medicine.

I'd be concerned about the sGPA. Any chance of boosting that up before you apply?

Reactions: 1 user
I didn’t intend to…but I do see now that I have most of my ECs revolving around young children. I am a volunteer EMT right now in my town. Also I was planning on doing a post bacc, but I’ve been told that with my 90th percentile MCAT and URM status that it may not be necessary? So i don’t know.
If you're African American, you should be fine. Not Harvard/Stanford fine, but still fine.

Start list with your state schools and the HBCs, including UCLA/Drew

Nothing is super unique, but it's all fine. You're kind of a classic low GPA/high MCAT applicant, which combined with your solid ECs and honestly URM status means you stand a decent shot at state/HBC med schools, as well as DO schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.