Are these stats enough to get me into UAB?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thehyrule97

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I feel like I'm just trying to shout into an echo chamber & begging for reassurance at this point but these are my stats:
GPA: 3.62
OAT: 290 AA; 270 TS (I scored over 300 in 3 of the categories but my abysmal 220 physics score brought down my overall scores by a lot)
To further elaborate, I went to UAB for undergrad and managed to graduate with a 3.62 overall GPA though this was only thanks to taking most of my pre-reqs at local community colleges because their curriculum was a lot easier and the credits managed to transfer to UAB. I'm primarily banking on my shadowing hours being all from the UAB Eye Care Clinic and having had a work study job there and getting to know a lot of their faculty members but at this point I'm starting to doubt myself & thinking this wont be enough. I also managed to get a rec letter from one of their optometrists as well as from Reginald Kinsey who is their head of student affairs. As you can see my OAT scores are the primary limiting factor for me here as I didn't meet the "minimum" 300 threshold that I was told many schools have. I studied for a good 3 months and definitely improved from my original score of a 260. I've never really been good at standardized testing so even getting that 290 was difficult for me. I know that historically UABSO OAT score averages haven't been all that high (~320 AA; ~315 TS) but I'm still very worried about my stats. Do you guys think I have a chance of getting accepted?

Members don't see this ad.

can you update if you got an acceptance, taking OAT at the end of this month

You never know until you apply! I haven't applied to UAB but have gotten into many programs with an OAT score lower than their average and a GPA similar to yours. Make sure your essays are revised by 1 or 2 people and prepare for the interview by doing mock interviews with any resource you have (pre-health advising office, friends, family). Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I had similar stats and was told to retake my OAT as well. It never hurts to apply and Mr. Reggie is a fantastic letter to have. However, I would strongly recommend trying one more time, not only for the assurance that you'll get into the school of your choice, but also to be able to qualify for merit based scholarships. I got in with my score of 330 AA and 3.5 GPA as well as a pretty great scholarship. Good luck!

I feel like I'm just trying to shout into an echo chamber & begging for reassurance at this point but these are my stats:
GPA: 3.62
OAT: 290 AA; 270 TS (I scored over 300 in 3 of the categories but my abysmal 220 physics score brought down my overall scores by a lot)
To further elaborate, I went to UAB for undergrad and managed to graduate with a 3.62 overall GPA though this was only thanks to taking most of my pre-reqs at local community colleges because their curriculum was a lot easier and the credits managed to transfer to UAB. I'm primarily banking on my shadowing hours being all from the UAB Eye Care Clinic and having had a work study job there and getting to know a lot of their faculty members but at this point I'm starting to doubt myself & thinking this wont be enough. I also managed to get a rec letter from one of their optometrists as well as from Reginald Kinsey who is their head of student affairs. As you can see my OAT scores are the primary limiting factor for me here as I didn't meet the "minimum" 300 threshold that I was told many schools have. I studied for a good 3 months and definitely improved from my original score of a 260. I've never really been good at standardized testing so even getting that 290 was difficult for me. I know that historically UABSO OAT score averages haven't been all that high (~320 AA; ~315 TS) but I'm still very worried about my stats. Do you guys think I have a chance of getting accepted?
Did you receive an interview from uab?