Are volunteer hours from abroad valid?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pbsdrinkingwhale

just a whale
5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have received a Fulbright Scholarship for the coming year and will be in Asia. If I decide to volunteer while there, will these clinical hours count?
Congrats on the accomplishment. I dont see a reason why they wouldnt be.

Members don't see this ad :)
Count for what? They certainly aren't a substitute for community service during college. That said, if you see a need in Asia that you are qualified to fill, and you want to help the community in that way, go for it not because it "counts" but because you are a person who wants to help.

Reactions: 1 user
I have received a Fulbright Scholarship for the coming year and will be in Asia. If I decide to volunteer while there, will these clinical hours count?

Edit: I ask because "voluntourism" doesn't seem to be popular to folks here.
Voluntourism generally refers to medical volunteering abroad. There's plenty of volunteering you can do abroad that is legit. Look at the Peace Corps or any other number of worthwhile endeavors. But paying to hang out in a third world country to see medical care doesn't really count, and that's what a lot of people do. If you volunteer, I'd recommend something non-clinical that actually helps the community in which you reside. Note that non-clinical does not mean not medically related- you could work on a project for sanitation, or vaccinations, or whatever, but don't volunteer as some local doc's assistant.

Edit: I ask because "voluntourism" doesn't seem to be popular to folks here.
This is the polar opposite of the typical medical tourism that candidates do. You're fine.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah volunteering while on FULLBRIGHT doesnt seem like an issue. as long as OP isnt double dipping on projects.