Are we your top choice school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wordead

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was asked this in an interview at the very end of an interview recently. How do you answer this? I feel like saying anything except yes is somewhat detrimental to your application. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

You know, I've been really rather impressed with what I've seen today. I don't know if you're my top choice, I've yet to consider what is as there's no point in doing so unless I receive multiple acceptances. That being said, I really did love this place and it has definitely left a very strong impression in my mind should I ever need to make that sort of decision.

It depends. If it's a top 10 school, or if it really is a school that, based on your stats/competitiveness, would be in the upper echelon of what you could realistically get into, then something like Retsage's answer would be appropriate. If it's clear the school is a safety for you, don't insult their intelligence, I'd be honest and say, "If I got into school X (dreamschool), then I'd have a very difficult time saying no to them. However, I have been very impressed with everything I have seen from your school today, and I have no doubt that this would be an excellent place for me to continue my medical education as well." If I were an adcom, and I have a guy with a 35/3.8 interviewing in front of me when my school's averages are a 30/3.65, I'd feel offended that he would so obviously insult my intelligence this way.

Members don't see this ad :)
You know, I've been really rather impressed with what I've seen today. I don't know if you're my top choice, I've yet to consider what is as there's no point in doing so unless I receive multiple acceptances. That being said, I really did love this place and it has definitely left a very strong impression in my mind should I ever need to make that sort of decision.

*adcom's mind*: a.k.a... No.

I'm only applying to schools I'd sell my first-born to get in to, so my answer would be an immediate -- and probably tinged with obvious insanity-- YES!

ok, so there's still an internal ranking of my head, but two of the three schools I apply to do MMI interviews so this will never, ever be asked.

If it's clear the school is a safety for you, don't insult their intelligence, I'd be honest and say, "If I got into school X (dreamschool), then I'd have a very difficult time saying no to them. However, I have been very impressed with everything I have seen from your school today, and I have no doubt that this would be an excellent place for me to continue my medical education as well." If I were an adcom, and I have a guy with a 35/3.8 interviewing in front of me when my school's averages are a 30/3.65, I'd feel offended that he would so obviously insult my intelligence this way.

I don't think that you ever want to bring up the fact that you would rather go to another school, especially unsolicited. Even if it's a "safety school" you spend the time emphasizing what you do like. This is what I'm looking for in a med school and this is why your school fits that.
By saying that you would go somewhere else given the chance, it's making the fact that you consider it a safety school blatantly obvious and that's not going to help you one bit. In my experience, my interviewers have understood the types of schools I would be competetive at. So those at lower tier schools have spent the time highlighting how I could get a similar quality education at their school. If you use the above answer, you undermine that effort.

That being said, "are we your top choice" is a really hard question to answer. My suggestion is to complement the school as much as possible without actually giving a definitive yes or no. That would show that you have a well reasoned, legitimate interest in the school, which I would hope the interviewers take to heart.

Q: Are we your top choice school?
A: Yes, XXXXXX is a top choice [then launch into why you like the school].

Admitting that a school is not your top choice is not necessarily a death sentence. I was asked this question at nearly all of my interviews and each time I answered honestly:

"Actually, school X is my first choice because....But I do like your school because..."

Blunt? Yes. Intelligent? Possibly not. Either way, I don't think it really made a difference to just be honest. Plus, it makes it feel that much sweeter when your first choice school asks you the same question. ;)

I was told by my advisor to answer,
"I don't know, once i interview everywhere I am invited, I will sit down and evaluate and prioritize the schools that accept me.
That being said, I have been very impressed with the _________ and ______... your school offers and if given the chance to atten, I would know that i would be getting a great medical education here.

I'd be honest and say, "If I got into school X (dreamschool), then I'd have a very difficult time saying no to them. However, I have been very impressed with everything I have seen from your school today, and I have no doubt that this would be an excellent place for me to continue my medical education as well."

Terrible advice. Never mention in an interview that you'd rather go to another school if accepted to that other school. You can compliment the school you are interviewing at by simply saying you are impressed by what you've seen and could see yourself very happy at their school and leave it at that. If that's a lie you shouldn't have applied to the school in the first place. But never mention you'd rather go to your dream school and would have a hard time saying no to them.

Answer is simple:

Yes you are a top choice. Then spend most of your time telling them why you can see yourself there.

I was asked this in an interview at the very end of an interview recently. How do you answer this? I feel like saying anything except yes is somewhat detrimental to your application. Any thoughts?

"Definitely one of the best I've seen and it's looking better every second I am here". Put a smile in your voice when you say this. "I am truly impressed by so and so..." This way, you leave a favorable reaction because it may be the only school you interview at or it may become your #1. If not, you don't need to bash them and you may earn point for diplomacy.

Terrible advice. Never mention in an interview that you'd rather go to another school if accepted to that other school. You can compliment the school you are interviewing at by simply saying you are impressed by what you've seen and could see yourself very happy at their school and leave it at that. If that's a lie you shouldn't have applied to the school in the first place. But never mention you'd rather go to your dream school and would have a hard time saying no to them.

You have a 35/3.8, and their school averages a 30/3.65. You REALLY think they won't know they're your safety school? If I were an adcom at that school, I would say, "You didn't really answer the question. Are we, or aren't we, your number one choice." I don't think your state school would be offended if you told them that you would be happy at their school, but you're really crossing your fingers for Hopkins.

I suppose the safe thing is to probably play the political game and not reveal your number one choice. I tend to be much more up front with my interviewers, as I've also had talked about politics and religion in my interviews, which I hear is a no-no too; I'm sure I've ruffled a few feathers in this fashion, but I also hope that my interviewers can appreciate my honesty and willingness to say what I believe and mean what I say.

But again, I can't fault anyone for playing it safe, either. And again, to be clear, I would ONLY say something like that in cases where it's clear that the school you're interviewing at isn't in the same league as the school you're hoping for (aka don't tell Stanford you're really hoping for Harvard, or one state school that you're hoping for another state school).

Members don't see this ad :)
Answer is simple:

Yes you are a top choice. Then spend most of your time telling them why you can see yourself there.

Ha, I gave the same advice above.

:)

Last edited:
Fortunately, I got to truthfully say "yes" to this one. The only school I would've gone to over UAMS would've been Mayo, and I had no shot whatsoever there. KU would've been worth a thought too, I guess.

I hope my interviewer doesn't ask. It would be super awkward to say no to that question.

i guess i am in the camp of people who would be very vague, but i think sankondbest's idea was excellent. i was asked "why downstate" (not the same question but it is my safety and i think they knew that) and i said what my adviser suggested: excellent quality education for a whole lot less money. so its ok that my stats were way above average for them. then again i guess that kind of response does not go well with private 'safety' schools.

I would probably answer that I'm doing my best to keep an open mind for selecting where I'm going to go, but your school definitely looks amazing. Then talk about how great the school is...

Unless you have an acceptance elsewhere your answer should be

"If accepted I would be thrilled to attend.I do hope that I will be accepted to your school."

It is not dishonest to keep the corollary statement (if it is my only acceptance)
between you and your conscience.

Any other answer may be seen as honorable by an adcom, but would not gain you any "extra points"

looking at it from another perspective, is it possible they are more likely to waitlist you if you answer yes to this? ie they know they can wait till the last minute on you for the possibility that a bunch of better applicants will come up and accept after your interview.

You have a 35/3.8, and their school averages a 30/3.65. You REALLY think they won't know they're your safety school? If I were an adcom at that school, I would say, "You didn't really answer the question. Are we, or aren't we, your number one choice." I don't think your state school would be offended if you told them that you would be happy at their school, but you're really crossing your fingers for Hopkins.

I don't necessarily agree with this. I have interviewed at both Hopkins and UMass. When I was leaving my UMass interview my interviewer asked me if I wanted to go to UMass, and I do. I would choose it over Hopkins. I know you probably think that I'm crazy, but I have a lot of reasons for my decision. Stats are nice and all, but if the school isn't a right fit for you, then it doesn't matter if they have the best reputation in the world. So hopefully I get into UMass. *fingers crossed*:luck:

I don't necessarily agree with this. I have interviewed at both Hopkins and UMass. When I was leaving my UMass interview my interviewer asked me if I wanted to go to UMass, and I do. I would choose it over Hopkins. I know you probably think that I'm crazy, but I have a lot of reasons for my decision. Stats are nice and all, but if the school isn't a right fit for you, then it doesn't matter if they have the best reputation in the world. So hopefully I get into UMass. *fingers crossed*:luck:

OK, good for you. I'm just saying that you're probably definitely the exception rather than the rule. If you can honestly say you'd rather go to UMass, then great.

I've always been honest about the school not being my first choice, that there is a school that I would have to attend if offered a seat because of proximity to family, cost etc. But I make it very clear that I would love to attend and if offered a seat it would be very difficult for me to turn it down. My interviewers have, so far, been impressed by my candidness. Though, I don't know how it will play out with the admission committee.

1. You are obviously misguided if you think any school is a "safety" school
2. Just because an applicant may have higher stats than the school's average does not mean the applicant is using that school as a last resort option. Plenty of applicants choose their school based on a variety of factors (cost, location, family, legacy, etc.) other than simply looking at US News & World Report rankings and MSAR averages. :rolleyes:
3. Any way you slice it, it is simply bad form to mention your preference for another school during your interview.

looking at it from another perspective, is it possible they are more likely to waitlist you if you answer yes to this? ie they know they can wait till the last minute on you for the possibility that a bunch of better applicants will come up and accept after your interview.

Nah, I doubt that. The adcoms aren't there to **** with you, merely to get the best students they can. If they think you fit, they'll offer you an admission.

I think if you want to get into that school you have to say yes and make them believe it.

1. You are obviously misguided if you think any school is a "safety" school
2. Just because an applicant may have higher stats than the school's average does not mean the applicant is using that school as a last resort option. Plenty of applicants choose their school based on a variety of factors (cost, location, family, legacy, etc.) other than simply looking at US News & World Report rankings and MSAR averages. :rolleyes:
3. Any way you slice it, it is simply bad form to mention your preference for another school during your interview.

1. "Safety" school is perhaps a poor choice of words. There are certainly schools where an applicant would likely be considered more competitive than other schools, based on the numbers. Most applicants, if they are fortunate enough to have exceptional numbers, will still apply to a few schools that are less competitive to get into because they want to raise their chances of getting into *A* medical school. While one's acceptance at such a less competitive school should never be taken for granted, an unfortunate slang has arisen where one might call such a less competitive school a "safety school." I apologize if you don't like the term, but it has come into common usage- I obviously do not mean that anyone should ever take an acceptance at a certain school for granted.

2. I do not dispute that claim. However, such cases where someone would turn down a "top 10 school" for a state school is certainly the exception rather than the rule. From the adcom's perspective, who's seen a ton of exceptional applicants come through and interview all claiming that "this was their top choice" only to then go to another school when it came down to making the decision, I can't blame them if they're a little jaded and assume a lie.

3. You and I will disagree on this point. I've always disliked having to play like a politician throughout this process. I'm going to make it clear that I feel that all of the schools I applied to would be excellent places for me to further my medical career, but I won't hide the fact that I'm crossing my fingers for one of a couple of top choices. If the adcoms don't like my candidness, then I suppose I'll regret that decision.

3. You and I will disagree on this point. I've always disliked having to play like a politician throughout this process. I'm going to make it clear that I feel that all of the schools I applied to would be excellent places for me to further my medical career, but I won't hide the fact that I'm crossing my fingers for one of a couple of top choices. If the adcoms don't like my candidness, then I suppose I'll regret that decision.

Yes, we will disagree. The admissions process, as vicious as it is, is one that requires professionalism, tact, and maturity. Mentioning in an interview you prefer another school, IMO, comes off about as well as the interviewer mentioning to you he prefers the person he interviewed right before you and is holding onto hope that he/she accepts their acceptance offer from the school.

Yes, we will disagree. The admissions process, as vicious as it is, is one that requires professionalism, tact, and maturity. Mentioning in an interview you prefer another school, IMO, comes off about as well as the interviewer mentioning to you he prefers the person he interviewed right before you and is holding onto hope that he/she accepts their acceptance offer from the school.

And I personally see nothing unprofessional or immature about being upfront about your intentions throughout the process; if anything, being truthful seems more professional and mature than blindly telling every school you interview at that they are your top choice. I also think that it is possible to say that you have another top choice with tact: "While an acceptance from Dreamschool would be very difficult to decline, I strongly feel that this school would also be an excellent place to continue my medical education. I particularly love X, Y, and Z about your school, and if I were fortunate enough to be accepted, I would be very excited about the opportunities available here." You don't want to focus on why you would go to your dreamschool if given the opportunity, you instead maintain the focus on why you still think the school you're currently interviewing at would be an excellent match for you.

There's probably an excellent chance that I'm just wrong to be so idealistic as to think that being this honest with my interviewers is the "best" way to go about this process. If anyone's uncomfortable with laying out your feelings so openly about the process to your interviewers, I certainly can't fault you for just saying "I'll sit down at the end of all my interviews and figure out what I want to do, but your school is definitely among my favorites." It's probably much safer. I just personally don't care for doing things just because they're "safer" or more politically correct.

I have been so lucky with these questions.

Case Western was the only one who directly asked, and I told them that they were because I was only basiing my choices on my experiences, not rankings and they were the only I had interviewed at! It was a joke, and I then discussed a little bit about how I had been very impressed, and that they would be the standard I compared all medical schools to. I got accepted.

I did get kinda asked it again, but the interviewer wanted to know if his school was in the top 5, which was much easier to commit to, because it was true.

I was actually asked this at one of my interviews and I was honest and said no and I was still accepted although I did say why I would have loved to attend their school. Saying no does not mean you will get rejected although you have to be very careful about how you say it.

I was actually asked this at one of my interviews and I was honest and said no and I was still accepted although I did say why I would have loved to attend their school. Saying no does not mean you will get rejected although you have to be very careful about how you say it.

I agree. In the end, the honest truth won't ever hurt you as much as being caught in a lie. And don't think you can hide it from them, they've interviewed hundreds of kids. If you say this is your top choice, you better be filled with that nervous energy which makes it so obvious that you are thrilled to have made it that far and terrified that you'll screw up. You can't tell me you feel the same way at a safety as one of your top choices.