Are you a visual defect expert?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BoneNibbler

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok So can someone explain FA pg 401....lesion #6 PLEASE???

1. Why is there macular sparing

2. why is the bottom quadrant lost also when #4 only has upper quadrant?

Am I just ******ed?:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

In terms of your 2nd question, it has to do w/ a lesion to Meyer's loop which carries information from the superior visual field (or inferior retinal field). It takes a "tortuous" path meaning that it runs more laterally, and can be damaged w/ a blow to the temporal lobe. For more info google quadrantanopia.

It's been a couple of months since we had neuro, but I seem to remember for your 1st question that the Meyer's loop also terminates more anteriorly than the rest of the bundles and thus will not carry info from the macula. Not entirely sure on this though. Post if you find out.

Last edited:
I was taught (albeit a year ago) that you have macular sparing b/c that part of the visual cortex responsible for the macula has a different blood supply meaning that you are unlikely to get a lesion affecting both. according to wiki it is because that area occupies such a large proportion of the visual cortex.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nice try...but your search just sucks.

Anyways my two questions weren't answered in the slightest so...:thumbdown:

Your reading skills suck. The first hit explains it.

How are you even in medical school? I fear for your future patients!

Your reading skills suck. The first hit explains it.

How are you even in medical school? I fear for your future patients!

How am I in medical school? HAHA. I go to a top 5 med school, sorry if I am not used to the carribean beaches like you are. :sleep:

bonenibbler, we answered your first question for sure if you would just read what we wrote

Spospo was right on #1.

With #2, I believe it is because lesion #6 is attempting to show a cortical lesion. It is hard to know that because the FA diagram isn't quite as detailed. It's not the same lesion as #4 - it is supposed to be a cortical lesion. But seeing the diagram I can see why you are confused.

This website has a diagram that shows the lesion that I think they are going for more clearly: http://thalamus.wustl.edu/course/basvis.html

It also explains macular sparing further down the page.

How am I in medical school? HAHA. I go to a top 5 med school, sorry if I am not used to the carribean beaches like you are. :sleep:

I was "on your side" up until that ignorant comment. wow.

Now I also fear for your future patients.

wow.

lol, I guess you answered your own question with your "top 5 med school"-type comment.

It brings my Caribbean heart joy that "top 5" schools admit people like you (seeing how you're my "competition" for residency). :laugh:

Spospo was right on #1.

With #2, I believe it is because lesion #6 is attempting to show a cortical lesion. It is hard to know that because the FA diagram isn't quite as detailed. It's not the same lesion as #4 - it is supposed to be a cortical lesion. But seeing the diagram I can see why you are confused.

This website has a diagram that shows the lesion that I think they are going for more clearly: http://thalamus.wustl.edu/course/basvis.html

It also explains macular sparing further down the page.

Why thank you. That is what I was asking. So the FA diagram is wrong and should have been in the cortex. Much appreciated.

I was "on your side" up until that ignorant comment. wow.

Now I also fear for your future patients.

wow.

lol, I guess you answered your own question with your "top 5 med school"-type comment.

Wait so you were on my side, but just watched as I got pummeled. It sucks for all those people in your city who are getting mugged/stabbed as you would just walk right by.

Last edited:
Wait so you were on my side, but just watched as I got pummeled. It sucks for all those people in your city who are getting mugged/stabbed as you would just walk right by.
What is this, the last episode of Seinfeld?

EDIT: btw, there you go assuming that I wasn't gonna stick up for you. How do you know that I wasn't done reading through the entire thread yet? I just came across that silly post of yours and decided to forget sticking up for you.

But maybe I WAS just going to "just watch as you got pummeled" because I didn't want to "get involved".

You say you go to a "top 5 school". One would think that you would've been able to weave your way out of your own e-arguement.

I'll leave you to McGillGrad, so he can continue pummeling you or whatever other verb you prefer.

Last edited: