Are you able to include things you plan to complete in application?

Started by mitch8017
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mitch8017

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I have heard that you can include things you are in line to complete during the application process, next year before entering med school, or whatever if you are scheduled to do them or will be completing them. Some examples are physicians you are scheduled to shadow, work hours you will be completing, etc. I have not been able to find much literature so I ask the experts at SDN; is this a thing? If so, how does it work?
 
If you've already started them, you can use a work/activity slot in AMCAS. Otherwise, many secondaries will ask if you have anything else to add to your app that wasn't mentioned in AMCAS, or how you plan on spending your application year.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I put that I'd be working until matriculation. Ended up quitting in May. Nobody cares.

If you end up leaving much earlier than that, you can update your secondary app (if possible) or your interviewers.
 
To be precise, August of the year of matriculation is the last date one can enter. Keep in mind that med schools begin anywhere from June to September.

If we are able to put in a future end date, can the hours (where it says "total hours") be past+estimated future hours as well, or only strictly those you've completed at the time of submission of the application?
 
If we are able to put in a future end date, can the hours (where it says "total hours") be past+estimated future hours as well, or only strictly those you've completed at the time of submission of the application?

Personally, I used the repeated activity function to first put the hours completed to date (activity start date to present) and then estimated hours (present to 8/2017).
 
If we are able to put in a future end date, can the hours (where it says "total hours") be past+estimated future hours as well, or only strictly those you've completed at the time of submission of the application?
You can bundle them all together.
Personally, I used the repeated activity function to first put the hours completed to date (activity start date to present) and then estimated hours (present to 8/2017).
But the preferred approach is to distinguish between Completed and Future, this being one way to do it.
 
What would be the clearest way to do it?
I like mcatjelly's way best, personally, if an activity is one that is highly likely to be continued as stated. If one is less sure, Future hours can be mentioned in the narrative as a plan, but not included in Total Hours. Or one can describe hours per week of planned involvement through x/xxxx date, without doing a calculation for intended hours.