Are You 'Allowed' to Wear Your New School's Apparel Before Aug/Sept. ??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Fly

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
To be sure, this question isn't pressing and is, perhaps, a bit inane...

Nonetheless-- my parents sent me a bunch of Penn T-shirts and stuff when I was accepted/decided to definitely attend Penn and I wanted to know what peeps' feelings were regarding wearing your future school's apparel pre-matriculation. . .

Any ideas here ??

Thanks...

Members don't see this ad.

I love sweatshirts, and I got one at three of the schools I interviewed at (I figured I'd treat myself in honor of being offered an interview :p )

So, in my *biased* opinion, there is nothing wrong with sporting school logo stuff before you matriculate :wink:

I actually think you're required to start wearing the stuff after May 15th...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey The Fly, just so you know, after Friday you won't be able to change your name again. So if you want to be "The Fly", you can put "aka GG16" into your signature and we'll all know it's you. :)

And yes you can wear your new school's apparel now. :)

I was feeling nostalgic and wanted to buy some college sweatshirts before I graduate, but my parents thought that was dumb and I should just sport the new school's stuff. Then I heard med students don't usually wear med school apparel--just the affiliated undergrad stuff--but my med school doesn't have an undergrad. :( Oh well, I guess I'll have to show off then :p :wink:

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Doctora Foxy:
•Hey The Fly, just so you know, after Friday you won't be able to change your name again. So if you want to be "The Fly", you can put "aka GG16" into your signature and we'll all know it's you. :)

•••••Ooh, Foxy -- you're so smart !!!!!!! :D

Indeed, I left myself a note to change the name before friday, but your signature idea is superior.

They don't call you 'Grand Poobah' for nothing!!
:wink:

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Jessica:
•I love sweatshirts, and I got one at three of the schools I interviewed at (I figured I'd treat myself in honor of being offered an interview :p )

So, in my *biased* opinion, there is nothing wrong with sporting school logo stuff before you matriculate :wink: •••••Hey Jessica--

The irony of what you have to say is that I have all this non-penn crap now. My cousin is graduating from Columbia Med and thought I would get in (and definitely go to P&S) and so he sent me like two t-shirts and a really nice sweatshirt that are now totally obsolete!

Plus, I have a UCLA Med shirt from when I worked there and now an HMS shirt because I work at Harvard now. . . All this crap is now useless!!

So. . . if you're going to HMS +/or UCLA, let me know if you want a slightly worn t-shirt, free of charge! :wink:

Here I come, ebay!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hehe, I *still* want a Dartmouth and Penn sweatshirt, just bcuz i interviewed there.. I can hardly find fault in anyone accepted. ;-)

Hmmm... no matter where I end up for MD school, I think I'll always be a Cal Bear (undergrad school).

With that in mind, is it cool to wear undergrad apparel at my new med school (won't be a UC)?

GG! I'm looking your way!

Finally got your pic up I see...nice!

how about license plate?

are you going to put your new school on or the old one (undergrad)? personally, i just bought a spiffin bronze plate from berkeley, my undergrad. i figure, i'll switch it after 4 years @ the new school... hehe

What about if you get rejected or waitlisted post-interview from a school? Can you still wear the shirt you bought?

I made the mistake of wearing my UCLA shirt around my school and got about 2000 questions from my friends asking if I got in...Nope, just a waitlist :rolleyes:

Damn, if I were you I'd parade pantless wearing that shirt like a fat-cat while smokin' a 6 inch spliff. Ya know what, you sure as hell earned the right to wear the Penn stuff. Why not wear it now? Is it all of a sudden OK to wear it once youre actually there?!?! Acceptance is the right of passage for wearing the new school stuff in my opinion.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by WaitingImpatiently:
•Hmmm... no matter where I end up for MD school, I think I'll always be a Cal Bear (undergrad school).

With that in mind, is it cool to wear undergrad apparel at my new med school (won't be a UC)?•••••Of course!!!!!!!!

You went there for undergrad, spent four years working your butt off in order to get into medical school -- damn right you can still wear your undergrad stuff! :D

What do you do in the case of all your waitlist schools?

I was actually thinking of re-visiting SUNY SB and UB. Should I wear a sweatshirt or t-shirt when I go up there. Or is that being arrogant.

Have a great day

AK

After all the hard work, I would just go to town with all of the med school stuff, but not only if I was accepted. If I was waitlisted and I wore the stuff, I would feel kinda arrogant. Maybe arrogant is the wrong word, but I personally would not wear anything while waitlisted.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Doc AdamK in 2006:
•What do you do in the case of all your waitlist schools?

I was actually thinking of re-visiting SUNY SB and UB. Should I wear a sweatshirt or t-shirt when I go up there. Or is that being arrogant.
•••••I don't think it's arrogant, per se, just a little presumptuous. I would err on the side of caution and refrain from wearing such items during your revisits. . . :)

holy cripes you guys are freaknoids. you're expected to get tattoos and lingerie of the school you choose to matriculate, didn't you know this shiet?

I got this fat NU tattoo on my ass, one N on the left cheek, and a U on the right. I'm quite fond of it.

JUST WEAR WHAT YOU WANT TO WEAR >_< !!!

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Nuclearrabbit:
•holy cripes you guys are freaknoids. you're expected to get tattoos and lingerie of the school you choose to matriculate, didn't you know this shiet? •••••Wow. Is There REALLY school related lingerie ???
Cool... :wink:

Nuclearrabbit--

Easy on that coffee! :D