Are you pursuing MBA's or MPH's?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Napoleon1801

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone doing this during residency training? What are you hoping to get out of it? Is it difficult to do concurrently w/ residency obligations? Is it worth it?

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone doing this during residency training? What are you hoping to get out of it? Is it difficult to do concurrently w/ residency obligations? Is it worth it?

I'm planning on doing my MPH part time during residency and I'd like to hear the experiences of others who have done or are currently undertaking this as well.

in the spirit of LADoc, I'd think an MBA would be more useful, considering all the cost-benefit type decisions that need to be made in lab medicine. not that i plan to pursue one, and with my science background i doubt i'd get in anywhere anyway. but of the options, i think an MBA would be more beneficial to a pathologist.

Members don't see this ad :)
I definitely see the benefit to an MBA, and be ballin' like LAdoc.

BUT would anyone find an MPH useful at all? I see the letters behind the names of plenty of hospital administrators. Is it useful in managing a private or academic lab at all?

I definitely see the benefit to an MBA, and be ballin' like LAdoc.

BUT would anyone find an MPH useful at all? I see the letters behind the names of plenty of hospital administrators. Is it useful in managing a private or academic lab at all?

MPH is worthless, first off MPH does NOT = hospital admin and even if it did, why the hell would you want to be hospital admin??

Even a baller CEO at a nonprofit is only making 200-250/year and is working like 20hrs+ a week more than I am now.

FYI-I had a gross of 177 last month and worked 12 days....for comparison (it was unusual for sure, but still).

MBA is good, but if you have the skills native I find its value dubious. Each individual needs to do a cost:benefit analysis.

My hospital pays for ~80% of the tuition for my MBA. In that sense, it is foolish not to do it. I figure that most pathologists end up doing more with management and finances than they ever thought they would -- and it shows. I didn't want to be one of them.

It can be a real hassle, especially when on heavy rotations plus call. Otherwise it is manageable. Most of the information is interesting, and applicable -- both in my personal and professional lives.

MPH though? Barring those with a major epidemiology fetish, I don't see the point.

Even a baller CEO at a nonprofit is only making 200-250/year and is working like 20hrs+ a week more than I am now.

In Virginia, the CEOs at the major hospital systems like INOVA, Sentara, and Carilion are all making 7 figures. For example, even the Carilion CEO in podunk Roanoke makes over 1.5 million a year (he's actually a MD only). The hospitals in California must be much smaller, whereas Virginia is dominated by major health systems.

Anyone know the places where your hospital pays for your MBA or incorporates it into your training? :D

FYI-I had a gross of 177 last month and worked 12 days....for comparison (it was unusual for sure, but still).

:eek: Are you saying you made 177K last month. How is that possible? Do you mean your group as a whole had a gross of 177K?

:eek: Are you saying you made 177K last month. How is that possible? Do you mean your group as a whole had a gross of 177K?

How do you do it LA? I want to get started in private practice with my own group as well. Have my own hours and make some bankage. Do I have to go to Podunk, USA and set up shop in order to make as much flow as you? What do you recommend to someone who has no business entrepreneurial experience to make it in the private practice world of pathology? Books, classes?

How do you do it LA? I want to get started in private practice with my own group as well. Have my own hours and make some bankage. Do I have to go to Podunk, USA and set up shop in order to make as much flow as you? What do you recommend to someone who has no business entrepreneurial experience to make it in the private practice world of pathology? Books, classes?

Geez... Did you have $$$ sign in your eyes when you typed that?

Moving on topic: none of the wallstreet types I've spoken with recommends MBA. It is beyond me why an MD would want one.

Having said that, I must admit that I was ass-hair away from quitting medicine alltogether and trying to make it in equity research. Getting my long-desired position made me stay in path... Although with the way things are going with medicine in general (see '180 degrees' post), time will only tell if this is the best decision.