Are you sterilizing and re-using N95s?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dred Pirate

Pharmacist
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
There is plenty of discussion out there on what hospitals are doing in regards to limiting PPE usage. We all pretty much agree this has become an huge CF to say the least. Luckily I was able to obtain a handfull of N95's from my father (had in his workshop from prior to the current mess). At work I get a surgical mask to wear for one shift since I work in the ED (rph). We can debate whether or not I need one, but I do often get up close and personal during codes, etc. Plus we all know the possibility of an asymptomatic patient (or a patient who lies about symptoms). Basically I am trying to make these last as long as possible.
My questions:
1. How often do I have to sterlize if I only where for part of my shift (and use the surgical mask the remainder). I know each time you sterilize it you are reducing its efficacy (based on the Standford study).
2. Do you cook it in the oven? (170 degrees for 10 minutes)
3. other options?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

UV sterilization is what our mothership is doing... but I would love to know for how long we need to illuminate the masks for.
I have a UV light at home.

30 minutes is what you need, and our hospital is also now doing the same thing, hand it in for recycle and UV sterilization.

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m working on an ambulance and wear a P100.
You can disassemble and clean the face mask with disinfectant which is what I’ve been doing daily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
Think I can wipe mine down with a purple wipe without compromising the integrity of the mask?

You can do that, but that's going to smell god awful afterwards.

UV sterilization is what our mothership is doing... but I would love to know for how long we need to illuminate the masks for.
I have a UV light at home.
I was thinking of just hanging it in the room when the bring in the UV light to sterilize the room -For the rooms they only do like 10 minutes, although I wonder how your UV light at home comes in intensity (or whatever term you use - I am not an electrician) to the hospital grade ones.

At least 2 of the hospital systems I have privileges at are doing this through Medline.

US sterilization is the rule...not sure you can just put it in the oven.

I was wrong it is 30 minutes
Duke is doing essentially a H2O2 vapor

I did read you have to make sure the mask doesn't touch the metal.

Think I can wipe mine down with a purple wipe without compromising the integrity of the mask?
I don't think you should if you read the above link - looks like it removes the static charge and reduces filtration ability

Members don't see this ad :)
We have like five each and circulate them we also number them 1-5

My hospital is sanitizing for re-use. I think they are using the H202 vapor. Supposed to be reusable up to 20x

I don't think you should if you read the above link - looks like it removes the static charge and reduces filtration ability

You think that if I rubbed it back-and-forth on the carpet a bunch that I could restore the static charge?

Just kidding.
Kind of.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
You think that if I rubbed it back-and-forth on the carpet a bunch that I could restore the static charge?

Just kidding.
Kind of.
reminds me of as a kid when I would shuffle my feet on the shag carpet and shock people.

But hey - desperate times calls for desperate measures - It sucks to have the conversations, but at this point I don't think we have a choice.

We’ve got a 3D printed hard plastic mask down in Miami that can be sterilized with 70% alcohol. Uses disposable filters made from the hepa filters for AC units.

Gonna have it evaluated by the health & safety people Monday - if it passes N95-equivalent muster we can start producing more and can share the design.

sorta like a homemade p100.

Sign me up.
We’ve got a 3D printed hard plastic mask down in Miami that can be sterilized with 70% alcohol. Uses disposable filters made from the hepa filters for AC units.

Gonna have it evaluated by the health & safety people Monday - if it passes N95-equivalent muster we can start producing more and can share the design.

sorta like a homemade p100.

I use a p100 -- made the switch today
You can still get them on Ebay

I use a p100 -- made the switch today
You can still get them on Ebay
According to the CDC, elastomeric respirators like the P100 still need to be fit-tested.

Are you able to be fit-tested?

According to the CDC, elastomeric respirators like the P100 still need to be fit-tested.

Are you able to be fit-tested?
Yeah, but you can self test more easily.
Occlude the filters. Does it suck in?
Occlude the exhaust, does it require a fair amount of pressure before leak?
Then you're golden.

Yeah, but you can self test more easily.
Occlude the filters. Does it suck in?
Occlude the exhaust, does it require a fair amount of pressure before leak?
Then you're golden.

Yea that’s called the “User Seal Check” and its actually recommended by OSHA for verifying fit when you don’t have access to a qualitative fit test.

that’s how we’ve been evaluating the seal of our 3D printed masks