Are your parents doctors?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

• Yes, my mom or dad is a doctor

Votes: 44 17.0%
  • Yes, both of my parents are doctors

Votes: 15 5.8%
  • No, but I have relatives who are doctors

Votes: 48 18.5%
  • No one in my family is a doctor

Votes: 152 58.7%

• Total voters

unicorn06

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

mashce said:

yeah....my dad and my sister.

But they have always told me to not get into it......guess I have to see for myself

Members don't see this ad :)
riceman04 said:
yeah....my dad and my sister.

But they have always told me to not get into it......guess I have to see for myself

Hmm... Inability to learn from other's mistakes- check against you in the admissions process :laugh:

mashce said:
Hmm... Inability to learn from other's mistakes- check against you in the admissions process :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

My dad's an ER physician... while I was deciding whether or not to do med school (recent decision for me) he tried to step back and remain very objective and not sway me either way. I guess if I end up miserable he doesn't want to think it was his fault.

Best part is whenever I'm home I can hang out in his ER anytime I want!

my dad's a doctor, but not of medicine. :) my brother's a physician, and i have some aunts and an uncle who are, too, but everyone else in my family is a total non-science or healthcare person.

Hmm...well, I said no one in my family is a doctor. My brother's in his 3rd year of med school, though.

6th grade Teacher, Social Worker.

I have to credit my parents for being very supportive of whatever I wanted to do or consider. Space Camp, Science Camp, Band Camp, shadowing, college, all my decisions, with their support. It has definately helped.

I wonder what this statistic is for this in incoming med classes. I bet a pretty high proportion have physicians as parents. I guess that speaks well for the career if these kids are following their parents advice...

Members don't see this ad :)
wow, im really surprised that the majority of premeds dont have physician parents.. i guess there really are people that are doing it to be "altruistic", or something like that ;)

jtank said:
wow, im really surprised that the majority of premeds dont have physician parents.. i guess there really are people that are doing it to be "altruistic", or something like that ;)

i'm cynical and assuming lots of people with the non-physicians parents are still doing it for their parents. i've been lots of non-physician parents become 100% convinced that their child should go to medical school.

My partner's an ER doc. He was really upset for a few month when I decided to do post-bacc -- he was still a resident and didn't want me to go through the same -- but now it's great to be able to talk shop with him.

I think (hope) some pre-meds whose parents are MDs do it because they admire their parents and see it as an fulfilling career choice.

My parents are both teachers and have *no idea* why I would go into medicine. They're slowly warming up to the concept (3 years later) but still a little baffled.

EDIT: I always wanted to go to Space Camp! I think I did all the other camps, though.

nope, moms a school teacher (soon to be a principal) and dad works for American airlines. No medical people in my whole family

How do you think medical schools perceive applicants who have physician parents? Do they question these applicants' motivations, or do they think of it as a positive because the applicant has a better idea of what being a physician is truly like?

Great poll! I've always been curious. Interesting results so far, very interesting. Didn't expect that many "first timers," like myself.

Nope. Nobody in my family. I come from a long line of accountants. Both my parents are accountants and so was two of my grandparents.

My parents are both lawyers. But my husband is in med school, brother-in-law in med school, and two uncles are doctors (rheumatologist and cardiologist). So I did grow up with medicine in the family, and I do have the support now from people who know what it's about. (My brother wants to be influential in political philosophy; go figure :laugh: ...I do come from a very political family, though)

My husband's parents are a high school math teacher and a translator/rabbi (used to be something engineer related until disability). So interesting that both my husband and his brother will be doctors. My sis-in-law went into engineering.

exlawgrrl said:
Interesting! Do they want you to be an accountant?
Not at all. My parents have always fed my interest in becoming a doctor.

Bon Scott said:
Not at all. My parents have always fed my interest in becoming a doctor.

Accounting seems like one of those careers that's really, really great for a small subset of people but horrible for lots of people. My BIL is an accountant, and it's about the last career he'd recommend ever.

crazy_cavalier said:
are you literally the seventh son in your family? :eek:
I've got three brothers and three sisters. :eek:

parents are NOT physicians! there are some in the extended family though

unicorn06 said:
How do you think medical schools perceive applicants who have physician parents? Do they question these applicants' motivations, or do they think of it as a positive because the applicant has a better idea of what being a physician is truly like?

:thumbup:

for those who have physician parent/s, how did the interviewers play it to you? that it was negative, that you are just continuing some "legacy" thing and can't think for yourself :mad:
or
that it's positive, that you know what you're getting into? :scared:

how did you explain that it is your own choice/dream/decision, etc?