SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

ARGHHHH Neuroscience

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by 78222, Apr 25, 2007.

1. 78222

78222 Guest

Sep 11, 2005
    l33thuania
    This stuff is even more terrible than embryology. Anyone got any webpages or books that break it down for dummies?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. jammin06

jammin06 7+ Year Member

Nov 5, 2003
    Check High-Yield NS or Clinical Neuro Made Ridiculously Simple. Those are good condensed material. BRS Neuro is also a favorite, but about 400 pages. If you want a text book, check out Human Brain.

4. stoic

stoic "Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted" Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Nov 4, 2000
    sodom, south georgia
    i liked high-yield neuroscience.

5. indo

indo Feed me a stray cat 7+ Year Member

Sep 28, 2002
  6. stoic

stoic "Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted" Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Nov 4, 2000
    sodom, south georgia
    our class just took the CBSE and we totally tanked neuro. the class average was below the cutoff for that topic. we got killed on the shelf, to. if your neuro class is as weak as mine was (basically memorizing tracts and not integrated with neuropath), don't count on taking much useful information away from the course.

7. DarksideAllstar

DarksideAllstar you can pay me in bud 7+ Year Member

Dec 17, 2001
    West of the Haight
    As someone else posted, High Yield Neuroanatomy was awesome. Its unfortunate that I didn't get ahold of it until I was studying for Step 1. I think it is probably the one thing that I could have used to really help me understand what I was memorizing.

8. MarzMD

MarzMD 5+ Year Member

Jul 7, 2005
  9. Critical Mass

Critical Mass Guest

Feb 23, 2007
    I say do some laboratory experiments at home. There are plenty of chemicals that will allow you to explore your brain in detail.

10. lil pook

lil pook Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Aug 1, 2002
    High Yield...the newest version

11. Rogue Synapse

Rogue Synapse The Dude Has Got No Mercy 7+ Year Member

Apr 11, 2006
    you bite your tongue.

12. browniegirl86

browniegirl86 10+ Year Member

Oct 12, 2004
    Portland, OR
    A lot of us are using the Blumenfeld Neuroanatomy to study for our first miderm on Monday (all the neuroanatomy in two weeks, pathways and all). It's pretty much been saving my life on a regular basis.

13. Rogue Synapse

Rogue Synapse The Dude Has Got No Mercy 7+ Year Member

Apr 11, 2006
    I love Blumenfeld. But how is your first midterm Monday? Our FINAL is next week.

14. tulane06

tulane06 Private Joker 5+ Year Member

Sep 15, 2005
    Another thumbs up for Blumenfeld. Avoid Haines.

15. JDWflash44

JDWflash44 Workin it... 7+ Year Member

Dec 6, 2004
    Cleveland
    Road Map Neuroscience is a life-saver (Dr. James White is the man with Neuro)

16. Pontifex Maximus

Pontifex Maximus Rads-a-palooza Physician 10+ Year Member

Mar 18, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    The made ridiculously simple is a cool little book, and is a lifesaver for learning cranial nerves. Really basic in some cases (vasculature), but works great for concepts which totally elude you.

17. JustBreathe

JustBreathe Senior Member 5+ Year Member

Jun 15, 2005
  18. elee20

elee20 Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Dec 17, 2003
    the best place on earth
    This book gets my vote as well. I used it all the time

19. Sophie

Sophie Lead Foot 10+ Year Member

Apr 14, 2003
    Sacramento, CA
    We just finished this god-awful system up this past Friday.

Neuroscience minus Neuroanatomy was actually really interesting (the movement disorders, degenerative disorders, path, and psych stuff), but Neuroanatomy is by far the worst subject in existence. Way worse than Embryology, which I loathe, and worse than Biochem, which I hate. I don't even have a word for Neuroanatomy. :thumbdown:

20. Andrewosu

Andrewosu 2+ Year Member

Sep 11, 2006
    Don't be a wuss.

21. francisdoss

francisdoss Member 5+ Year Member

Jan 20, 2006
  22. indo

indo Feed me a stray cat 7+ Year Member

Sep 28, 2002
    hypoglossal lesion!

23. megadon

megadon 5+ Year Member

Aug 26, 2006
    Memphis
    Yay Blumenfeld! Come on seriously, comparing it with emryology? At least the words in Neuro are somewhat real. This is what I know about embryo, a man lies with a woman, egg gets fertilized and drops down fallopian tube (learned that in phys) implants and starts growing. It get bigger and bigger, and nine months later, the little tumor pops out (pathology) and stops stealing nutrition and oxygen from the mother, and switches over to draining the bank accounts. Can't believe I want one of those little parasites. however, from a neuro perspectice, they aren't very well mylenated for the first two years, although it will take thirty years to finish. Reading embryo is like reading the old testament, there are somites, mesoderm, etc.

24. njaqua

njaqua 10+ Year Member

I agree. I'm hoping Embryo isn't well represented on Step 1. If it is, I'm in a bit of trouble. It's hard to remember crap when the names are so bizarre and abstract, and somewhat out of context. Memorize for the exam then poof. it's gone.

25. DoctorFunk

DoctorFunk Get down with the boogie 7+ Year Member

May 17, 2004
    The Good Land
    I wouldn't worry much about embryo on the boards. The students at my school spend a grand total of 4 hours at an organized review session relearning the high yield embryo facts when studying for Step 1.

26. browniegirl86

browniegirl86 10+ Year Member

Oct 12, 2004
    Portland, OR
    We have a Brain, Mind and Behavior block (last block of MS1) that started on 4/16 and ends on 6/22. It integrates all areas (medicine, physio, anatomy, pharm, path, sbs, etc) related to neuro and psych.

The first test was mostly neuroanatomy (written and practical, lesion diagnosis, etc); second test is at the beginning of June and the third is a cumulative final on June 22nd. Gotta love integrated curriculum and single multiple choice exams. :thumbup:

27. megadon

megadon 5+ Year Member

Aug 26, 2006
    Memphis
    aka multiple guess.