ARGHHHH Neuroscience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

This stuff is even more terrible than embryology. Anyone got any webpages or books that break it down for dummies?

Members don't see this ad.

Check High-Yield NS or Clinical Neuro Made Ridiculously Simple. Those are good condensed material. BRS Neuro is also a favorite, but about 400 pages. If you want a text book, check out Human Brain.

Members don't see this ad :)
our class just took the CBSE and we totally tanked neuro. the class average was below the cutoff for that topic. we got killed on the shelf, to. if your neuro class is as weak as mine was (basically memorizing tracts and not integrated with neuropath), don't count on taking much useful information away from the course.

As someone else posted, High Yield Neuroanatomy was awesome. Its unfortunate that I didn't get ahold of it until I was studying for Step 1. I think it is probably the one thing that I could have used to really help me understand what I was memorizing.

I say do some laboratory experiments at home. There are plenty of chemicals that will allow you to explore your brain in detail.

High Yield...the newest version

A lot of us are using the Blumenfeld Neuroanatomy to study for our first miderm on Monday (all the neuroanatomy in two weeks, pathways and all). It's pretty much been saving my life on a regular basis.

I love Blumenfeld. But how is your first midterm Monday? Our FINAL is next week.

Members don't see this ad :)
Road Map Neuroscience is a life-saver (Dr. James White is the man with Neuro)

The made ridiculously simple is a cool little book, and is a lifesaver for learning cranial nerves. Really basic in some cases (vasculature), but works great for concepts which totally elude you.

The made ridiculously simple is a cool little book, and is a lifesaver for learning cranial nerves. Really basic in some cases (vasculature), but works great for concepts which totally elude you.

This book gets my vote as well. I used it all the time

We just finished this god-awful system up this past Friday.

Neuroscience minus Neuroanatomy was actually really interesting (the movement disorders, degenerative disorders, path, and psych stuff), but Neuroanatomy is by far the worst subject in existence. Way worse than Embryology, which I loathe, and worse than Biochem, which I hate. I don't even have a word for Neuroanatomy. :thumbdown:

Another thumbs up for Blumenfeld. Avoid Haines.

Yay Blumenfeld! Come on seriously, comparing it with emryology? At least the words in Neuro are somewhat real. This is what I know about embryo, a man lies with a woman, egg gets fertilized and drops down fallopian tube (learned that in phys) implants and starts growing. It get bigger and bigger, and nine months later, the little tumor pops out (pathology) and stops stealing nutrition and oxygen from the mother, and switches over to draining the bank accounts. Can't believe I want one of those little parasites. however, from a neuro perspectice, they aren't very well mylenated for the first two years, although it will take thirty years to finish. Reading embryo is like reading the old testament, there are somites, mesoderm, etc.

Yay Blumenfeld! Come on seriously, comparing it with emryology? At least the words in Neuro are somewhat real. This is what I know about embryo, a man lies with a woman, egg gets fertilized and drops down fallopian tube (learned that in phys) implants and starts growing. It get bigger and bigger, and nine months later, the little tumor pops out (pathology) and stops stealing nutrition and oxygen from the mother, and switches over to draining the bank accounts. Can't believe I want one of those little parasites. however, from a neuro perspectice, they aren't very well mylenated for the first two years, although it will take thirty years to finish. Reading embryo is like reading the old testament, there are somites, mesoderm, etc.
I agree. I'm hoping Embryo isn't well represented on Step 1. If it is, I'm in a bit of trouble. It's hard to remember crap when the names are so bizarre and abstract, and somewhat out of context. Memorize for the exam then poof. it's gone.

I agree. I'm hoping Embryo isn't well represented on Step 1. If it is, I'm in a bit of trouble. It's hard to remember crap when the names are so bizarre and abstract, and somewhat out of context. Memorize for the exam then poof. it's gone.

I wouldn't worry much about embryo on the boards. The students at my school spend a grand total of 4 hours at an organized review session relearning the high yield embryo facts when studying for Step 1.

I love Blumenfeld. But how is your first midterm Monday? Our FINAL is next week.

We have a Brain, Mind and Behavior block (last block of MS1) that started on 4/16 and ends on 6/22. It integrates all areas (medicine, physio, anatomy, pharm, path, sbs, etc) related to neuro and psych.

The first test was mostly neuroanatomy (written and practical, lesion diagnosis, etc); second test is at the beginning of June and the third is a cumulative final on June 22nd. Gotta love integrated curriculum and single multiple choice exams. :thumbup: