ARGHHHHHHHH I hate word limits!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

minwoo123

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hate these word limits on these secondaries. I'm fine with writing concisely, but 200-250 words is a bit ridiculous!!! ARGHHHHHHHHHHH, I'm going to kill a squirrel. :scared:

But on a more serious note. If I just submit essays that are like maybe 100-200 words over the word limit, will I not get an interview? Anyone have any experience with this?
Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

I can't offer any advice, but I share your frustration.

200 words is ridiculous. Why do schools want meaningful and personal answers, and then expect it to be written with 200 words. :smuggrin:

If I just submit essays that are like maybe 100-200 words over the word limit, will I not get an interview? Anyone have any experience with this?
Thanks!!

Not speaking from experience, but I can't imagine that going that much over the word limit bodes well for you, especially if you're going 100 words over - it will be obvious. Ignoring direct instructions seems like it would irritate committee members.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dude, 200 words should be plenty. That's like...a whole sentence. :rolleyes:

I went about 700 characters over on a 3500 limit for one of my secondaries. I'm now attending school there.

Unless the app actually counts the characters, I wouldn't be overly worried about the limits.

(sent from my phone - please forgive typos)

Probably depends on your interviewer. Some would likely evaluate you poorly for not following directions. When you have gazillions of apps, you need to find ways to eliminate people. An inability to read or follow directions may be enough to get you on the cut list. Other interviewers won't care.

OP, I feel ya. Why not just say please limit your essay to ABOUT xyz characters.

These questions are Dr.Phil-type life questions and then they give you an exact character limit to fulfill. kinda annoying.

I prefer short word limits, but I don't have a problem being concise and deleting fluff.

I guess you're right...and I do think the limits actually improve my writing. But the editing is what's taking 75% of all the time. No wonder people recycle essays--few people have the ability to write 20 essays well within 2 weeks.

It's not as if they're going to sit there counting words to make sure you're below the limit. Just say what you need to say. They have a lot to read already.

If the secondary page counts characters, just let that do the limiting for you :)