• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

tissy

15+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2005
Connecticut
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
Why did you choose Arizona over other schools?

Have your professors taught at another dental school before?

Do you think reputation of a school is important? Even if you specialize?

If you had a choice to transfer, would you?

Do you think that most of the students at your school did well on part 1 boards?

Did or Do you like the block system your first year?

I'm only asking these questions for myself and others to know what the students at other schools are thinking..please don't take any of the these question in a negative way...

accidental

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 1, 2004
Arizona
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
Why did you choose Arizona over other schools?
I chose AZ mainly because of its non-traditional approach to education, ie the module system, external rotations, no tenured faculty, take the boards after the first year. I have always had a dislike for the semester system and this really appealed to me. Its not a fit for everyone but it was for me. Also, the administration seemed very approachable and sincere. I am from Arizona but even if I had been from out of state it would have been my top choice.

Have your professors taught at another dental school before?

I am only half way through my first year but I don't think we've had any professors that are not from other medical or dental schools throughout the country. Some really suck, some are mediocre, and some are really good. That's normal for every school. What sets us a part though, is that if we don't like a professor we voice that in our anonymous reviews after each class. Those reviews are taken into consideration when rehiring a professor.

Do you think reputation of a school is important? Even if you specialize?

I think to a certain degree reputation is important. I don't plan on specializing but I recently heard that 5/5 D4's all got accepted to specialty programs. If you are at all worried about AZ's reputation - don't be. It will take time for our reputation to develop but I have no worries that we are will produce very experienced and competent dentists.

If you had a choice to transfer, would you?
No way. My life is too great right now - I seriously think things are too good to be true and I'm not the only one in my class to think that. Because of the module system I have plenty of time to spend with my wife and kids, hobbies (just went snowboarding last weekend), and I even work part time. Don't get me wrong, it hasn't been easy and at times my grades suffer but I prefer to have a balanced life over getting straight A's - you still have to put the time in, but not once has it been overwhelming for me to manage school, work, and play. This is definately the school to go to if you want a balance life.

Do you think that most of the students at your school did well on part 1 boards?

This is what I've heard so I'm not positive - our board scores have been comparable to the national average, with a 92% pass rate - so i think 2 or 3 out of 54 had to retake one or more sections. I'm not specializing so my only concern is passing.

Did or Do you like the block system your first year?

Like I said I'm half way through my first year and I still love it. Some of our modules are longer than others. Our longest has been head and neck anatomy which was 3.5 weeks long - so it is easy to get burnt out after focusing on one subject for so long but I still wouldn't have it any other way. Our typical routine is like this: module starts on Monday afternoon, lecture all day Tuesday, lecture Wednesday morning, sim clinic Wed. afternoon, lecture all day Thursday, lecture Friday morn, either guest speaker (grand rounds) or half day friday afternoon, and then an exam Monday morning over the previous weeks material and the routing starts all over again. It does vary from module to module but that's the basic structure of our week. The first half of the year we do a lot of group/case study work and quizzes throughout the week depending on the professor.

I'm only asking these questions for myself and others to know what the students at other schools are thinking..please don't take any of the these question in a negative way...

Bring on the questions.

Manyak222

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2003
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
Great post accidental! You pretty much covered everything.

I have one more question that anyone from Az can feel free to answer. Since you don't use books, are the CD's lent out to students or do we buy them? It seems as if it's not in the tuition, unless it's a part of the technology fee.

About the Ads

accidental

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 1, 2004
Arizona
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
Great post accidental! You pretty much covered everything.

I have one more question that anyone from Az can feel free to answer. Since you don't use books, are the CD's lent out to students or do we buy them? It seems as if it's not in the tuition, unless it's a part of the technology fee.

We use a program called Vital Source. You install it just like any other program and its basically a book viewer that lets you take notes, search text, highlight, etc. I'm not positive what portion of our tuition/fees pays for it but it is paid for. At the beginning of the year you license your software and that allows you to download all of your textbooks that are specific to our school. Once downloaded those books show up in your "library" within VitalSource. So far, most of our instructors are actually the authors of books we use - I think that's actually how they sought out our instructors. I wish I could say I use it a lot but I don't. Its more like a good reference library that's alway available to you.

Turnerjo13

Ski Bum
10+ Year Member
Nov 14, 2006
N45˚ 29.795’ W122˚ 41.521’ elev:659ft
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
We use a program called Vital Source. You install it just like any other program and its basically a book viewer that lets you take notes, search text, highlight, etc. I'm not positive what portion of our tuition/fees pays for it but it is paid for. At the beginning of the year you license your software and that allows you to download all of your textbooks that are specific to our school. Once downloaded those books show up in your "library" within VitalSource. So far, most of our instructors are actually the authors of books we use - I think that's actually how they sought out our instructors. I wish I could say I use it a lot but I don't. Its more like a good reference library that's alway available to you.

What happens after you graduate? Do you still have access to the books on your computer or does the license expire and you have to pay to renew it every year if you want to view the books.

spc213

SDN Donor
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 12, 2005
Georgia
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
The licenses on vital souce textbooks do not expire until 2026. You get your own copy of the basic software once it's loaded onto your laptop, and updates as often as needed while enrolled as a student. We get notified of updated and new textbooks on a regular basis, and just download them to our computers as needed.

The software and downloaded textbooks are yours to keep. The updates continue as long as you are a student.

I hope that answers your question.

klfb80

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 3, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
Not 100% sure but as i understand it everyone from our 4th year class at AZ that applied for a residency was accepted with the exception of endo at this point. Endo as i understand it is the toughest to get into fresh out school anyway.

ItsGavinC

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2001
Arizona
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
Not 100% sure but as i understand it everyone from our 4th year class at AZ that applied for a residency was accepted with the exception of endo at this point. Endo as i understand it is the toughest to get into fresh out school anyway.

The people that applied to endo should not have applied, let's put it that way.

ElDienteLoco

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2005
Arizona
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student

There were also people who applied to ortho and pedo who didn't get in, but overall I think it went very well.

SunnyAZ

10+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
ASDOH has been my best decision yet. I LOVE the school, and I've NEVER loved school before in my life. I got in, not even sure I really wanted to be a dentist, just didn't know what else to do, and now I am so happy here. It is such a pleasant environment and there's always someone you can go to for help. Just last week, the dean bought us lunch and we all sat outside with him and ate it. Our professors know their stuff and it's great gettinge finished with a class in no more than 2 weeks---not enough time to get tired of it. It's always sunny here----both the weather and the people. If there is anyone in our class that does not like it here, I don't know them. Everyone I know really loves it. This semester has been intense with material, but we've had some early days and a few 3 day weekends (we are supposed to be studying for NBP1) where we we can take little mini-vacations or hike the great mountains here. Our school does not believe in the "old school" approach to dental school where it's "cool" for the professors/instructors to criticize and berate you. In the SIm lab, the professors are so helpful and the general mood is really relaxed and even fun. I'm sure most people are happy with the school they've chosen, but I can honestly say that I thank god everyday that I choose this school.
As for specializing-----pre-dents get over it. Wait until you know a thing or two before you start bragging about how you're going to specialize (stop thinking $$$ and wait until you learn something). If you get grades and excellent scores on the boards and are involved at school/the community then you will be fine with getting into specialty programs, and if not, try again the next year. Keep in mind that 75% (I may exaggerate a tad) of the entering class this year claimed to want to specialize. Everyone does, so do your best, but keep in mind we come to school to be dentists.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.