Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Arizona to get a veterinary school in 2014
Started by ckd816
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I was just on google, trying to find a picture like that. Guess you beat me. 😛
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I liked the head desk one better and was referring to that one..
Or this:
But no, really. Another veterinary school in a tight market. No. Bad idea. Bad.
We need less of this from the AAVMC: "The American Association of Veterinary Medical Colleges projects a shortage of 15,000 veterinarians over the next 20 years."
And more of this: http://www.aavmc.org/PressRelease/?id=107
"Veterinary medical education is in transition as society's need for our services increases and our focus expands, even in an economically challenging time of limited resources," said Dr. Osburn. "It's our conviction that, if we can educate our nation's leaders about the important and vital work that veterinarians perform, they will recognize veterinary medicine's inherent value and make its support a priority. It's important for us to develop, nurture, and support the veterinarians of the future because, in many ways, the health and safety of our nation depend upon it."
And more of this: http://www.aavmc.org/PressRelease/?id=107
"Veterinary medical education is in transition as society's need for our services increases and our focus expands, even in an economically challenging time of limited resources," said Dr. Osburn. "It's our conviction that, if we can educate our nation's leaders about the important and vital work that veterinarians perform, they will recognize veterinary medicine's inherent value and make its support a priority. It's important for us to develop, nurture, and support the veterinarians of the future because, in many ways, the health and safety of our nation depend upon it."
I also like how this one came up when I googled headdesk..
![]()
😀
👍 I'd hit it.
We need less of this from the AAVMC: "The American Association of Veterinary Medical Colleges projects a shortage of15,000 veterinarians over the next 20 years."tuition monies unless they continue making more schools and expanding class sizes.
Fixed.
And more of this: http://www.aavmc.org/PressRelease/?id=107
👍
I live in AZ and I think Midwestern has a pharmacy school right now. My dad is a pharmacist and has worked with many different recent grads and students doing their rotations. He said students from their school lacked the proper foundation needed to be a decent clinical pharmacist. They focus almost all of the education on problem-based learning. I agree it's important to incorporate it into a health related education, but it shouldn't be the only focus of learning. I just can't stand that they would really put a for-profit vet school in this state. And btw our governor can be pretty stupid.
And btw our governor can be pretty stupid.
Truth. Brewer is absolutely insane.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hoping this doesn't pan out for the reasons already stated above. Timetable seems pretty ambitious too:
Break ground 2013.
First class Fall 2014.
Missing: Hiring staff, faculty; generating 100 interested applicants.
(something here)
Line pockets with cash.
Break ground 2013.
First class Fall 2014.
Missing: Hiring staff, faculty; generating 100 interested applicants.
(something here)
Line pockets with cash.
Mmmmm Ian Somerhalder. 😍 😍 I would most definitely hit it. He is on my list of celebrities that I get a hall pass for.
Missing: Hiring staff, faculty; generating 100 interested applicants.
Wait a second. ANATOMIC PATHOLOGIST FOR SALE HERE, READY IN 2014! ME! MEEE!
Goooo Arizona! I love you! Build that vet school, build it! Save me from having to avoid the job market by doing a PhD !
Wait a second. ANATOMIC PATHOLOGIST FOR SALE HERE, READY IN 2014! ME! MEEE!
Goooo Arizona! I love you! Build that vet school, build it! Save me from having to avoid the job market by doing a PhD !![]()
Aww, I wanna go to school where WTF teaches... Can I transfer?
Needing vets and having a demand strong enough for more vets to set up viable practice are two different things. I think AZ is a little confused...
This reminds me of when I heard that AVMA accredited a Mexican vet school. Really? How many US citizens will go to Mexico, study vet med (in SPANISH) in Mexico, and come back to practice in the USA? Answer: virtually none.
This reminds me of when I heard that AVMA accredited a Mexican vet school. Really? How many US citizens will go to Mexico, study vet med (in SPANISH) in Mexico, and come back to practice in the USA? Answer: virtually none.
Wait a second. ANATOMIC PATHOLOGIST FOR SALE HERE, READY IN 2014! ME! MEEE!
Goooo Arizona! I love you! Build that vet school, build it! Save me from having to avoid the job market by doing a PhD !![]()
WTF, I've been interested in pathology and I've noticed a few of your posts talking about a need for a PhD...is that what it looks like it's going to be in the future? There is no way I'm going to add on more $$$ and time for a PhD just to go the pathology route...👎
E
Escalla
In addition we have another school being established in Tennessee too right? Ohhhh man.
In addition we have another school being established in Tennessee too right? Ohhhh man.
Wait what??? There's going to be ANOTHER school in Tennessee??
Merrrr
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
WTF, I've been interested in pathology and I've noticed a few of your posts talking about a need for a PhD...is that what it looks like it's going to be in the future? There is no way I'm going to add on more $$$ and time for a PhD just to go the pathology route...👎
There are basically three main areas (I'm being general here, but bear with me) pathologists work - 1) in diagnostic labs (state labs, IDEXX, etc diagnostics all day all the time), 2) (teaching hospitals/vet schools, so diagnostics and teaching and maybe some research), and industry (reading out animal studies for Big Pharma, etc). Dx lab jobs don't care if you have a PhD, but those jobs are very scarce. Academia is better, but they usually "highly encourage" or outright require one. Industry can be variable depending on how much they want you to be involved in the research, or if they just ant you to be a glass pusher. Take a peek at the ACVP career center and you'll see what I mean...Clinical pathologists have it slightly easier in terms of that, but we anatomics are really pushed to get one. Most residency programs either want you to do a PhD or outright require one - I chose one where I could drop it if necessary. I still would have chosen this route, though, even if I have to suck it up and do it. I get pissy about the state of the profession at times, but I do have to admit I am VERY happy doing pathology for a living (if you can call residency a living
) and I know not a lot of people can say that,If I can find the veterinary pathologist thread, I will bump it for you.
edit: Found!
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=773940
Last edited:
Where I work you have to be board certified or have a phd. One of the pathologists who has two board certs told me it is still a good idea to get a phd because there are more opportunities; he wished he would have gotten one.
This is the exact picture I was thinking of posting and here you went and did it for me. 🙄 Pretty sure we would be best friends IRL (if your Trek/pathology/Firefly/nerdy leanings are any indication).
Hoping this doesn't pan out for the reasons already stated above. Timetable seems pretty ambitious too:
Break ground 2013.
First class Fall 2014.
Missing: Hiring staff, faculty; generating 100 interested applicants.
(something here)
Line pockets with cash.
Hell, Utah State is sitting its first class this fall!! Does anybody know anyone that applied to or got accepted or even knows Utah has a vet school? Link to the Utah State C/O 2016 thread?? 😱
This is the exact picture I was thinking of posting and here you went and did it for me. 🙄 Pretty sure we would be best friends IRL (if your Trek/pathology/Firefly/nerdy leanings are any indication).
Do you play WoW? That's the kicker
Where I work you have to be board certified or have a phd. One of the pathologists who has two board certs told me it is still a good idea to get a phd because there are more opportunities; he wished he would have gotten one.
This. It's not 100% necessary, but it does open up a LOT more jobs for you if you have one. Stupid, I know. But that's how much academia has become enamoured of its PhD title 🙄 I totally respect people who have them - it's VERY hard work. But do I need one to do a mostly diagnostic/teaching job? No. Growl
And UGA is building a new facility that they say they are hoping will allow them to increase enrollment.
http://redandblack.com/2012/02/25/new-vet-school-facility-to-start-construction-fall-2012/
http://redandblack.com/2012/02/25/new-vet-school-facility-to-start-construction-fall-2012/
Hell, Utah State is sitting its first class this fall!! Does anybody know anyone that applied to or got accepted or even knows Utah has a vet school? Link to the Utah State C/O 2016 thread?? 😱
It's a combined program with wsu. They have to be accepted into wsu (albeit a separate interview process specific for applicants from Utah) and they graduate with a dvm from wsu. I think there are like 20 seats? It's basically wsu wanting more money (that is why schools increase seats) but not having the space.
I believe it also makes utah residents no longer eligible for whiche, so I wonder if it will decrease whiche seats at other schools or actually provide increased opportunity.
Anyone notice the three newest (counting AZ and TN) vet schools are private? It's all about people seeing the money opportunity and nothing to do with the industry. I certaintly don't like the concept of there being more vets that want to work than there are positions available. You don't want to do 8+ years of school to then a job answering phones, because there are no jobs to even apply to. That said, I don't think we are at that point (even though it's a bit tough right now) and there is a good shot the economy will recover in the next 10-20 years and there will plenty of job opportunities down the line.
Right now the biggest problem is people not retiring like they would have in better times, people working longer shifts to ensure they keep the job they do have, combined with the actual decrease in money coming in to support staff.
Last edited:
WTF, I've been interested in pathology and I've noticed a few of your posts talking about a need for a PhD...is that what it looks like it's going to be in the future? There is no way I'm going to add on more $$$ and time for a PhD just to go the pathology route...👎
More $$$?
If you're still pre-vet, you can do a combined DVM-PhD and get the whole thing paid for. It's a sweet deal if you like to research and you're intelligent/highly motivated.
It's a combined program with wsu. They have to be accepted into wsu (albeit a separate interview process specific for applicants from Utah) and they graduate with a dvm from wsu. I think there are like 20 seats? It's basically wsu wanting more money (that is why schools increase seats) but not having the space.
Ah, thanks for the info. Sounds spectacular!!

Ah, thanks for the info. Sounds spectacular!!![]()
I cannot tell if you are being sarcastic or if you are a Utah resident

More $$$?
If you're still pre-vet, you can do a combined DVM-PhD and get the whole thing paid for. It's a sweet deal if you like to research and you're intelligent/highly motivated.
Are there programs that do this? Do they actually pay for your vet school and give you a stipend? If so, which schools? I thought this was just a MD/PhD program.
It's a combined program with wsu. They have to be accepted into wsu (albeit a separate interview process specific for applicants from Utah) and they graduate with a dvm from wsu. I think there are like 20 seats? It's basically wsu wanting more money (that is why schools increase seats) but not having the space.
I believe it also makes utah residents no longer eligible for whiche, so I wonder if it will decrease whiche seats at other schools or actually provide increased opportunity.
As a current WSU student, I honestly have no idea how they're going to fit 20 extra people. (Assuming it is 20 extra on top of a regular class size?) As it stands, if you are late to a class in some rooms you need to sit on the floor. In the same lecture space, not everyone has a real desk surface. We have those crappy "arm desks" which are honest to god, not kidding, smaller than my binder. The patient load isn't increasing here, so I don't need more people on rotation with me either. Seems like a terrible idea without some major reconstruction of the classrooms and thinking up some new clinical rotation schedules.
Are there programs that do this? Do they actually pay for your vet school and give you a stipend? If so, which schools? I thought this was just a MD/PhD program.
I know Illinois has one:
http://vetmed.illinois.edu/asa/vmsp.html
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yay!!! This is what they need if they want to encourage people to go into biomedical research. I hope more programs like this open up.
As a current WSU student, I honestly have no idea how they're going to fit 20 extra people. (Assuming it is 20 extra on top of a regular class size?) As it stands, if you are late to a class in some rooms you need to sit on the floor. In the same lecture space, not everyone has a real desk surface. We have those crappy "arm desks" which are honest to god, not kidding, smaller than my binder. The patient load isn't increasing here, so I don't need more people on rotation with me either. Seems like a terrible idea without some major reconstruction of the classrooms and thinking up some new clinical rotation schedules.
😱 what?! is attendance mandatory? that would be the biggest deterrent from going to class ever!
Yay!!! This is what they need if they want to encourage people to go into biomedical research. I hope more programs like this open up.
VET 2008- I have been blessed enough to interview for 3 of these programs (Colorado State, Cornell, and NCSU), even more fortunately, I was offered a spot at NCSU and made an alternate at Cornell (still debating what I'll do if made to choose between the two). All of them cover your veterinary tuition and pay you a stipend during the graduate years, few of them pay a stipend during vet school years (Penn and potentially Davis being the exceptions). I'm super excited about the potential career paths I have after one of these programs.
WTF, I've been interested in pathology and I've noticed a few of your posts talking about a need for a PhD...is that what it looks like it's going to be in the future? There is no way I'm going to add on more $$$ and time for a PhD just to go the pathology route...👎
More $$$?
If you're still pre-vet, you can do a combined DVM-PhD and get the whole thing paid for. It's a sweet deal if you like to research and you're intelligent/highly motivated.
Whether you do the two together or not, a PhD should not cost you money (aside from decreasing your earning potential and pushing back when you are able to begin repaying loans- which is obviously significant). Most PhD programs pay your tuition and give you a stipend for living expenses.
That being said I do have a PhD student friend who has to take out loans to support his family (3 kids and stay at home spouse), but this should not be the norm for most people
Mmmmm Ian Somerhalder. 😍 😍 I would most definitely hit it. He is on my list of celebrities that I get a hall pass for.
![]()
Do you play WoW? That's the kicker![]()
Whoa whoa whoa. Ian Smolderrhalder and World of Warcraft posted in the same thread? 😍
Similar threads
- Replies
- 3
- Views
- 450
- Locked
- Sticky
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 4K
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 319


