ASUgrad

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 3, 2003
Gilbert
Status (Visible)
I guess this question is more for Gavin. Gavin could shed some light on the new program from Arizona, Hometown? I deduced from the website that it is for dental students looking to increase the awareness of the need for community public health and to educate a more socially and culturally rounded dentist. Is that close?

Thanks for the info

BillE

DDSdude

Never Give Up...Never
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 2, 2003
Status (Visible)
There are several threads on here regarding Arizona. It has been one of the most talked about schools/programs on here. Doing a search for Arizona will give you some great info. Good Luck!

About the Ads

ItsGavinC

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2001
Arizona
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
Originally posted by ASUgrad
I guess this question is more for Gavin. Gavin could shed some light on the new program from Arizona, Hometown? I deduced from the website that it is for dental students looking to increase the awareness of the need for community public health and to educate a more socially and culturally rounded dentist. Is that close?

Thanks for the info

BillE

Bill, that is correct, but even moreso, the program is directed at pre-dental students.

It is an effort for pre-dental students to become interested in the community health center environment, for those community health centers to certify that the student is aware of the CHC program and has been actively involved in the program, and for our dental school then to assist the pre-dental student in getting their DMD degree so that they can return to the CHC and provide their services.

For the most concise information, contact Dr. Gary Cloud. His information is on that Hometown site.

In a nutshell, they are looking for students to become immersed in the CHC environment, go to dental school at ASDOH, and then return to work for their local CHC.

ASUgrad

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 3, 2003
Gilbert
Status (Visible)
Gavin, is this solely based on CHC in Arizona or is it for out of staters as well? I did a lot of interaction with the peoples of Guadalupe, Navajo, and Hopi, while at ASU. However, I am back in Chicago for my Fianc?? and her Masters degree, so can I still interact with the program with the community programs I do now? I think this program is excellent and every health professional should be involved in Community Health projects whether taking meals to seniors or passing out blankets on a freezing Chitown night, it builds strength in the ability to converse with many types of people, especially those much different from ourselves. I will contact the coordinator as you advised and will keep everyone posted on what he had to say, if anyone is interested (maybe just me).

Thanks Gavin

BillE

ASUgrad

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 3, 2003
Gilbert
Status (Visible)
Talking with Dr. Cloud about hte CHC hometown program. He stated to me that it is a way to work with a community health clinic, develop a comfort level with all forms of cultural/social-economic backgrounds, and in turn hopefully gain an endorsement from one of the CHC leaders on your application. Gavin, there are many CHC and they are all in the center of Chicago, except for 2 out in the suburbs where I call home. Currently, I am working for a dentist, school, and mentoring/tutoring gradeschool kids, so I am tapped for time at this point but my classes are ending here soon, so I would have more time to give come June. So, my take on the hometown is that if you want to develop a comfort level in cultures unlike your own, which is a necessity for any health professional, develop a life long commitment to helping those with needs, and gain a respectable sponsor for application to ASHS then volunteering your time in a community health is well worth it.

That's my 2 cents

BillE

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.