Arkansas or UTenn IM programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chameleonknight

Friggin go away, freaks.
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would any residents or med students from these schools mind telling us a bit about the IM programs there? Are they considered friendly/good teachers?
Do a lot of med students tend to stay there for residency?

Just any general info would be great. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a med student at Arkansas, so here goes. The program is university setting with rotations at both university med ctr and the VA next door. A new hospital is almost finished and looks pretty swank, it is supposedly going to be complete EMR. The VA is, well, the VA. The faculty are variable in teaching quality. We have a few big wigs here including Thomas Andreoli, who edits Cecil's Essentials of Medicine. He is a pretty malignant personality, though. The department chair is eager to teach, as are several of the other faculty. I think most residents are working pretty hard, but most seem happy in general. They offer several fellowships here including heme/onc, gi, cardio, etc. We have one of the world's leading myeloma research centers at this institution and I think they currently do more bone marrow transplants than any place in the world, or so some of the attendings have stated. Also have a well funded cancer research center, eye institute, and neuroscience institute, in addition to a fantastic geriatrics center. There are a large number of FMG's in general med and all the subspecialties, so if that's a problem for you this may not be your program. Hope this helps.

Hey thanks, I appreciate the input.

Are you a third year, climbguy? Did you enjoy your IM rotation?

Yes, I'm at the end of 3rd year. Medicine was one of my favorite rotations. I think I probably learned more during those 2 months than I have all year.