"Help Me Rank" IM 2024

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey Guys, I hope you all are well and having a good season. I'm a US IMG and might consider doing a GI fellowship. I need help ranking these programs. I don't have any geographical preference; I want to be well-trained, most likely in an academic environment, and pursue a fellowship GI.

1. ECU, NC
2. Staten Island University,
3. Advocate Christ Medical Center, Chicago
4. NYP Brooklyn Methodist,
5. Broward Health North, Fl
6. NYP Queens
7. Mount Sinai-Elmhurst
8. University of Maryland Midtown Campus
9. Montefiore Wakefield Campus
10. Mather Hospital

THANKS

Members don't see this ad.

Hi All! Would like some input on my current ROL. Value strong clinical training in a supportive, non toxic environment. Leaning towards cards fellowship, though PCCM is also a possibility. No geo preference, though prefer east side of the country. Also value diverse patient populations and house-staff, and community engagement.

1. UNC/Boston U
  2. Boston U/UNC
  3. Ohio state
  4. Tufts
  5. Temple
  6. Maryland
  7. Brown
  8. GW
  9. MUSC
  10. Rutgers RWJ
  11. Umass
  12. Loyola
Please let me know opinions/recs on ROL. Thank you

Last edited:
If cards is your plan, you should go to the "best" residency you can. That means a lot of different things to a log of different people. You'll have to figure out what it means to you specifically.
Yeah I have a lot to think about this next month since family is close to me. But I would hate doing anything but cardiology.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all! Having some trouble between the 2-3 in my list and the 5-8 tier and the last two spots of my top 10. Planning to go into heme/onc, don't have any geographic preferences between the Midwest and East Coast (the two regions where all my programs are), and want to prioritize QOL and general work environment:

1. Cornell
2. UMich/Sinai Main
3. UMich/Sinai Main
4. UWisc
5-8: Case Western UH, CCF, Boston U, NYU
9-10: having trouble picking between Rush, Minnesota, Temple, JHU Bayview, UMD, and Rochester. Leaning towards Minnesota (4+4 schedule) and Rush (Chicago) but would appreciate input.

Basically, not sure between UMich and Sinai for 2-3, and then the 5-8 is fuzzy to me, and need some help with the 9 and 10 places. Would appreciate any input or opinions. Thanks!

Hi All! Would like some input on my current ROL. Value strong clinical training in a supportive, non toxic environment. Leaning towards cards fellowship, though PCCM is also a possibility. No geo preference, though prefer east side of the country. Also value diverse patient populations and house-staff, and community engagement.

1. UNC/Boston U
  2. Boston U/UNC
  3. Ohio state
  4. Tufts
  5. Temple
  6. Maryland
  7. Brown
  8. GW
  9. MUSC
  10. Rutgers RWJ
  11. Umass
  12. Loyola
Please let me know opinions/recs on ROL. Thank you
Seems completely reasonable order. UNC/Boston I'd probably choose UNC (and might put BU below tOSU as well). But it's all completely reasonable as it is.

Hey all! Having some trouble between the 2-3 in my list and the 5-8 tier and the last two spots of my top 10. Planning to go into heme/onc, don't have any geographic preferences between the Midwest and East Coast (the two regions where all my programs are), and want to prioritize QOL and general work environment:

1. Cornell
2. UMich/Sinai Main
3. UMich/Sinai Main
4. UWisc
5-8: Case Western UH, CCF, Boston U, NYU
9-10: having trouble picking between Rush, Minnesota, Temple, JHU Bayview, UMD, and Rochester. Leaning towards Minnesota (4+4 schedule) and Rush (Chicago) but would appreciate input.

Basically, not sure between UMich and Sinai for 2-3, and then the 5-8 is fuzzy to me, and need some help with the 9 and 10 places. Would appreciate any input or opinions. Thanks!
UM and Mt. Sinai won't give you any significant difference in fellowship opportunities, so choose based on location and "culture" as they work for you. Be sure you like your Top 4 order because you're likely to match pretty highly based on your interviews.

FWIW, "back in the day" (when you were probably still in middle school...just for context), I loved both UW and UMinn. My (now ex-) wife hated the upper midwest and wasn't interested in those locations, so they went lower. I didn't interview at Michigan. I thought I was going to love Cornell but it wound up either 4 or 5 on my list. Sinai was #2, I matched #1.

Hey Guys, I hope you all are well and having a good season. I'm a US IMG and might consider doing a GI fellowship. I need help ranking these programs. I don't have any geographical preference; I want to be well-trained, most likely in an academic environment, and pursue a fellowship GI.

1. ECU, NC
2. Staten Island University,
3. Advocate Christ Medical Center, Chicago
4. NYP Brooklyn Methodist,
5. Broward Health North, Fl
6. NYP Queens
7. Mount Sinai-Elmhurst
8. University of Maryland Midtown Campus
9. Montefiore Wakefield Campus
10. Mather Hospital

THANK
Anyone?

If any of them have in-house GI fellowships, they should be at the top. Otherwise, rank them how you liked them.
The first 7 have GI IN HOUSE except advocate but they do match well in GI. Didn’t know if my order was reasonable. But thanks

In advance thank you all for any help! Would love some help ranking the following. I want to go into Heme/Onc, specifically I am most interested in GI cancers, and I would hopefully like to match into a competitive academic fellowship program like MSKCC or NIH. No preference for location, maybe slight bias toward East Coast or Illinois/Wisconsin. I am trying to find a place with good solid Onc exposure, reputation, and research opportunities.

1. Penn
2. Wisconsin
3. Wake Forest
4/5/6. Utah/Maryland/USC
7/8. UIC/Vermont
9/10/11. SLU/Loyola/MCW
12/13. EVMS/University of Chicago-Northshore

Thanks again!

In advance thank you all for any help! Would love some help ranking the following. I want to go into Heme/Onc, specifically I am most interested in GI cancers, and I would hopefully like to match into a competitive academic fellowship program like MSKCC or NIH. No preference for location, maybe slight bias toward East Coast or Illinois/Wisconsin. I am trying to find a place with good solid Onc exposure, reputation, and research opportunities.

1. Penn
2. Wisconsin
3. Wake Forest
4/5/6. Utah/Maryland/USC
7/8. UIC/Vermont
9/10/11. SLU/Loyola/MCW

Thanks again!
Utah is objectively a better program than Wake, both in IM and Onc terms. Not that Wake sucks, just that Utah should be above it. Otherwise it seems reasonable.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone! Would love any help on my rank list. Interested in cardiology, dont really care about much else.

1. Montefiore m/w
2. Case western UH
3. Ohio state
4. jefferson
5. maryland /northwell LIJ
6. Northwell LIJ / maryland
7. tufts
8. rutgers rwj
9. Brown
10. Mount sinai m/w
11. Lenox

Struggling with where I should put northwell LIJ on this list. in general i dont feel great about this ranking and feel like i need to workshop a bit, but would love to hear any thoughts you guys have

1. Penn
2. Wisconsin
3. Wake Forest
4/5/6. Utah/Maryland/USC
7/8. UIC/Vermont
9/10/11. SLU/Loyola/MCW

Thanks again!
not going to be of much help, but curious to hear if you've heard much about Northshore? Commentary seems nonexistent in the IM spreadsheet. Match rates look decent, but not sure what the rep is in the Chicagoland area.

Members don't see this ad :)
Trying to narrow down the rank list. Do you guys think a university-affiliated program is considered a leg-up for fellowship than a community program, or is it just a title? For ex: Southern Illinois U (in Springfield) is an affiliate vs. Advocate Christ in Chicago (a community program)

Hey everyone! Would love any help on my rank list. Interested in cardiology, dont really care about much else.

1. Montefiore m/w
2. Case western UH
3. Ohio state
4. jefferson
5. maryland /northwell LIJ
6. Northwell LIJ / maryland
7. tufts
8. rutgers rwj
9. Brown
10. Mount sinai m/w
11. Lenox

Struggling with where I should put northwell LIJ on this list. in general i dont feel great about this ranking and feel like i need to workshop a bit, but would love to hear any thoughts you guys have
Monte has both a great cards match and a great in house program from which they usually take a few residents each year. The best programs on your list are jeff umd case osu and monte (in no specific order). Rutgers brown tufts are essentially on the same level too if not slightly lower . By reputation I would bring northwell down below brown unless there’s a geographic reason. Beyond that those programs, especially the top 5, are similarly ranked and therefore you should think hard about where you’ll be happiest

Monte has both a great cards match and a great in house program from which they usually take a few residents each year. The best programs on your list are jeff umd case osu and monte (in no specific order). Rutgers brown tufts are essentially on the same level too if not slightly lower . By reputation I would bring northwell down below brown unless there’s a geographic reason. Beyond that those programs, especially the top 5, are similarly ranked and therefore you should think hard about where you’ll be happiest
Thanks so much for the response. also forgot to mention i have rutgers njms, would you put that on the rwj, brown, tufts tier? or lower?

Thanks so much for the response. also forgot to mention i have rutgers njms, would you put that on the rwj, brown, tufts tier? or lower?
Lower. Below northwell above Lenox hill =sinai west

Anyone else struggling to round out the middle of their list? Would appreciate some help comparing these programs. Utah is arguably better program than Cedars but location and better GI match is giving me pause. Heres what I have so far:
  1. Cedars
  2. Utah
  3. TJU
  4. Scripps Green (seems to have solid internal GI match)
  5. UCI
  6. Georgetown
  7. UCLA Harbor
  8. UCLA Olive View
  9. CPMC

Help ranking. Interested in cardiology and cardiac imaging. Huge into med ed and so-so for research (so unsure on academic career). A lot of my ranking so far was based on location (proximity to support system, city itself). Obviously the training will be great at all 3

1. Penn, closest to home and SO and I would have a couple close friends in philly
- will have increased elective time which residents say will improve schedule
- vibes were good, residents seemed happy
- Lukewarm on Philly, liked it but didn't love it

2. Duke, second closest and no support system in Durham
- honestly had the best vibes of the 3 during the interview and when talking to faculty and current residents
- actually checking out Durham soon to get a better feel of the city

3. MGH, furthest away from home and no support system in Boston
- Feel like the name is a big influence on it being ranked so highly. Residents seemed happy but for some reason feel like I didn't belong: maybe its imposter syndrome b/c i'm from a low/mid tier school without huge research or whatever
- Living in boston seems like the most fun of the 3, despite it being new for both of us

So far i have them in this order (Penn > Duke > MGH), but wanted to post to get another set of eyes on it. I'm really tempted to move Duke to top. Thanks

Help ranking. Interested in cardiology and cardiac imaging. Huge into med ed and so-so for research (so unsure on academic career). A lot of my ranking so far was based on location (proximity to support system, city itself). Obviously the training will be great at all 3

1. Penn, closest to home and SO and I would have a couple close friends in philly
- will have increased elective time which residents say will improve schedule
- vibes were good, residents seemed happy
- Lukewarm on Philly, liked it but didn't love it

2. Duke, second closest and no support system in Durham
- honestly had the best vibes of the 3 during the interview and when talking to faculty and current residents
- actually checking out Durham soon to get a better feel of the city

3. MGH, furthest away from home and no support system in Boston
- Feel like the name is a big influence on it being ranked so highly. Residents seemed happy but for some reason feel like I didn't belong: maybe its imposter syndrome b/c i'm from a low/mid tier school without huge research or whatever
- Living in boston seems like the most fun of the 3, despite it being new for both of us

So far i have them in this order (Penn > Duke > MGH), but wanted to post to get another set of eyes on it. I'm really tempted to move Duke to top. Thanks

If you end up liking Durham and want to rank Duke at #1, no one on this forum is going cast shame on you for that decision

Reactions: 1 users
Struggling between some spots on my list:

2-3) Hopkins vs UPenn
6-7) UChicago vs Northwestern
8-9) Cornell vs NYU

Interested in academic hospitalist vs PCCM, ?cards potentially. Outside of that trying to balance fellowship opportunities, clinical training (want to feel comfortable doing anything anywhere), prestige, and QOL in roughly that order

Thanks!!

Hi, Does anyone know how good is ECU health in NC? Or Northwell in Staten Island ? Thanks

Struggling between some spots on my list:

2-3) Hopkins vs UPenn
6-7) UChicago vs Northwestern
8-9) Cornell vs NYU

Interested in academic hospitalist vs PCCM, ?cards potentially. Outside of that trying to balance fellowship opportunities, clinical training (want to feel comfortable doing anything anywhere), prestige, and QOL in roughly that order

Thanks!!
The prestige factor is negligible when you're in the weight class of those programs that you listed

1)Vanderbilt
2)UAB
3)MUSC
4)UNC
5)USF FL
6) Mayo Jax
7) NCH Naples
8) UCF Osceola
9) Orlando Health
10) FSU Tallahassee

Priorities include best clinical training and reputation, location, interview vibes/ percieved level of malignancy.

Thanks everyone!

1)Vanderbilt
2)UAB
3)MUSC
4)UNC
5)USF FL
6) Mayo Jax
7) NCH Naples
8) UCF Osceola
9) Orlando Health
10) FSU Tallahassee

Priorities include best clinical training and reputation, location, interview vibes/ percieved level of malignancy.

Thanks everyone!
I'd personally put UNC in the top 3, probably #2, but that looks like it might be too close to "Yankee territory" for you. Not an unreasonable list at all if it's how you liked them.

Hey all! All else being considered equal, how would you rank these programs for someone who was interested in a cardiology/pulm fellowship down the line?

UPMC
University of Maryland
Temple
Montefiore
Robert Wood Johnson

I've ordered these by personal preference but curious about the fellowship prospects and clinical training. Thanks in advance for your help!

Hey all! All else being considered equal, how would you rank these programs for someone who was interested in a cardiology/pulm fellowship down the line?

UPMC
University of Maryland
Temple
Montefiore
Robert Wood Johnson

I've ordered these by personal preference but curious about the fellowship prospects and clinical training. Thanks in advance for your help!
Just like that is fine.

Hi All,

If I could get advice on my rank list I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm interested in either pursuing heme/onc or other subspecialty versus primary care/hospitalist work. Looking for strong training (in both inpatient/outpatient) in a supportive non-malignant environment.

Brown
Rutgers NJMS
UMass Chan
SUNY Primary care/IM
UVM
Tulane
ChristianaCare
UConn PC/IM
UMass Baystate
SUNY Categorical
Boston Medical Center (BU)
University of Maryland
Conemaugh
MAHEC
Lincoln

Hi All,

If I could get advice on my rank list I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm interested in either pursuing heme/onc or other subspecialty versus primary care/hospitalist work. Looking for strong training (in both inpatient/outpatient) in a supportive non-malignant environment.

Brown
Rutgers NJMS
UMass Chan
SUNY Primary care/IM
UVM
Tulane
ChristianaCare
UConn PC/IM
UMass Baystate
SUNY Categorical
Boston Medical Center (BU)
University of Maryland
Conemaugh
MAHEC
Lincoln
Is that how you're ranking them? Which SUNY campus (it matters).

Is that how you're ranking them? Which SUNY campus (it matters).
Thanks for response yes this is my tentative list, subject to change. Both are SUNY in Brooklyn (primary care program mainly at Kings County, categorical more mixed between university hosp and kings county is my understanding)

Thanks for response yes this is my tentative list, subject to change. Both are SUNY in Brooklyn (primary care program mainly at Kings County, categorical more mixed between university hosp and kings county is my understanding)
If you’re really considering heme/onc or another competitive fellowship, BU and Maryland belong much closer to the top of your list. Not sure why you have SUNY Downstate and NJMS so high unless you really want to be in/near New York.

If you’re really considering heme/onc or another competitive fellowship, BU and Maryland belong much closer to the top of your list. Not sure why you have SUNY Downstate and NJMS so high unless you really want to be in/near New York.
I'm going to completely agree with @OncOncOnc here. If you have an interest in any seven semi-competitive subspecialty, you need to change that list up a lot.

Your top 2 should be Maryland and BU. They are far and away the best places on your list. Decide if it's crab or lobster you like better and choose based on that.
UMass, UVM, Brown and Tulane should be 3-6 in some order. Alphabetical, how you liked the programs, best food (Tulane), best skiing (UVM), whatever.
UConn, NJMS and Christiana should be the next 3
The Downstate programs and Baystate should be the next 3
Lincoln and then those other 2 places I had to Google but still don't know anything about should round out the bottom, like they currently do

Hi Everyone! My goal is to set myself up to match as competitively as possible for fellowship (heavily leaning cards, entertaining the idea of pulm/crit) and for a career in academia. Location is irrelevant: I’m very fortunate to have a tremendously supportive spouse that works remotely and would be happy to see different parts of the country. Please let me know if anything looks out of place, my list is as follows:

1) UCSF
2) Duke
3) Yale
4) University of Alabama Birmingham
5) University of Virginia
6) BMC (BU)
7) Brown
8) Dartmouth
9) Tufts
10) Hofstra
11) Umass
12) Uconn
13) Montefiore
14) Temple

Thank you!

I'm going to completely agree with @OncOncOnc here. If you have an interest in any seven semi-competitive subspecialty, you need to change that list up a lot.

Your top 2 should be Maryland and BU. They are far and away the best places on your list. Decide if it's crab or lobster you like better and choose based on that.
UMass, UVM, Brown and Tulane should be 3-6 in some order. Alphabetical, how you liked the programs, best food (Tulane), best skiing (UVM), whatever.
UConn, NJMS and Christiana should be the next 3
The Downstate programs and Baystate should be the next 3
Lincoln and then those other 2 places I had to Google but still don't know anything about should round out the bottom, like they currently do

I appreciate both of these responses. What is it about BU and UMaryland that them better for fellowship than Brown/UMass/Tulane? Honest question. I thought NJMS had solid fellowship matches, is there something I should watch out for NJMS/SUNY? Struggled to get a feel for programs over zoom.

Hi Everyone! My goal is to set myself up to match as competitively as possible for fellowship (heavily leaning cards, entertaining the idea of pulm/crit) and for a career in academia. Location is irrelevant: I’m very fortunate to have a tremendously supportive spouse that works remotely and would be happy to see different parts of the country. Please let me know if anything looks out of place, my list is as follows:

1) UCSF
2) Duke
3) Yale
4) University of Alabama Birmingham
5) University of Virginia
6) BMC (BU)
7) Brown
8) Dartmouth
9) Tufts
10) Hofstra
11) Umass
12) Uconn
13) Montefiore
14) Temple

Thank you!

I might move Montefiore (assuming its the main campus) up a few spots but thats just me. Your list is fine

I appreciate both of these responses. What is it about BU and UMaryland that them better for fellowship than Brown/UMass/Tulane? Honest question. I thought NJMS had solid fellowship matches, is there something I should watch out for NJMS/SUNY? Struggled to get a feel for programs over zoom.
Besides Newark and East Flatbush? They're both low tier programs. BU and Maryland are both much stronger programs.

anyone have thoughts on how to rank these programs? Interested in cardiology with slight bias to nyc area:

-NSLIJ
-UMaryland
-Case Western
-Rutgers RWJ
-Jefferson
-Rutgers NJMS
-Montefiore m/w

Really struggling with how to rank these, and match day is quickly approaching. Any thoughts/advice would be very much appreciated!!

anyone have thoughts on how to rank these programs? Interested in cardiology with slight bias to nyc area:

-NSLIJ
-UMaryland
-Case Western
-Rutgers RWJ
-Jefferson
-Rutgers NJMS
-Montefiore m/w

Really struggling with how to rank these, and match day is quickly approaching. Any thoughts/advice would be very much appreciated!!
Monte
Case western
Jeff
Maryland

(Based on geo preference and interest in cards )

NSLIJ
RWJ
NJMS

The top 4 are better than the bottom 3. In particularly NSLIJ will set you up least well for cards fellowship but is in the nyc so ….

Monte
Case western
Jeff
Maryland

(Based on geo preference and interest in cards )

NSLIJ
RWJ
NJMS

The top 4 are better than the bottom 3. In particularly NSLIJ will set you up least well for cards fellowship but is in the nyc so ….
Thank you!! Where would you place tufts in this? Also, what made you put jeff above maryland? Those are 2 im struggling with right now

Thank you!! Where would you place tufts in this? Also, what made you put jeff above maryland? Those are 2 im struggling with right now
Jeff Maryland purely on geographics there. I don’t personally think there’s a huge difference though. Tufts falls below these programs in my opinion.

Jeff Maryland purely on geographics there. I don’t personally think there’s a huge difference though. Tufts falls below these programs in my opinion.
Disagree. Tufts should be above Maryland and probably Jeff as well.

Disagree. Tufts should be above Maryland and probably Jeff as well.
Ok 🤷‍♂️

Tufts is a small program in the shadow of bu and the Harvard programs. There is better training to be had at both Jeff and umd. Cards specific I can’t say

These threads are crazy in my opinion but I understand it is hard to get tangible info about these places. The quality of many programs varies tremendously with the faculty. Even people who sub-specialized and went to a different program for every step of the journey still only know 4-5 programs yet so many people have opinions on programs they know little about.

Academia vs Community is also a wash as many "community" hospitals offer the same access to fellowships and quality of education.

Having an in house fellowship can be an advantage or dis-advantage. Many programs have issues between the various departments and may take basically no in house residents or the complete opposite. My IM residency for instance would take 2/6 in house for cardiology fellowship (to maintain "diversity") and my class had 8 interested in cardiology. Thus for my year it was terrible as we were all solid candidates however in the next year only 2 wanted cardiology and both got in without a sweat.

I think you can be a well trained internist at nearly any facility as learning is largely based on your own efforts. One caveat to this is that access to critical care, running codes, doing procedures can vary dramatically from hospital to hospital. Obviously a no name community program shouldn't be ranked over hopkins but I wouldn't stress too much about all the muddy programs in the middle.

Academia vs Community is also a wash as many "community" hospitals offer the same access to fellowships and quality of education.
This feels factually incorrect. How are academia and community a wash when it comes to fellowship opportunities? Just no way thats true

Hi all! Would love some assistance on my list as I am quite confused haha. Strong preference for a big city - particularly Chicago and strong heme/onc program.

1. UChicago
2. Michigan
3. Cleveland Clinic
4/5. Brown vs Thomas Jefferson
6. Georgetown
7. UIC
8. Rush
9. Temple
10. Montefiore
11. GW
12. Maryland
13. Rutgers RWJ
14. Miami

I am pretty set on 1 and 2 but confused about the rest, particularly with regards to H/O. Would appreciate any help!! Thank you!

If your goal is to match heme onc, you should rank all of the places that have NCI designated Comprehensive Cancer Centers at the top of your list. 1,2 are fine as it is. I would put Montefiore, RWJ, Georgetown, Temple (Fox Chase) and Maryland as the next 5 in whatever order you like. These are the only ones the list that are NCI CCCs (only 51 of them in the nation). The rest are either only NCI or CCC, or neither.

Last edited:
If your goal is to match heme onc, you should rank all of the places that have NCI designated Comprehensive Cancer Centers at the top of your list. 1,2 are fine as it is. I would put Montefiore, RWJ, Georgetown, Temple (Fox Chase) and Maryland as the next 5 in whatever order you like. These are the only ones the list that are NCI CCCs (only 51 of them in the nation). The rest are either only NCI or CCC, or neither.
The difference between an NCI CCC and other designations are meaningless to IM trainees (and most Hem/Onc fellows).

This feels factually incorrect. How are academia and community a wash when it comes to fellowship opportunities? Just no way thats true
Just my opinion going through my own training. Keep in mind the definition of community and academic can get a little blurry and like most things it really depends on the people you interact and your own personal effort. Everyone has their own motives for doing things. Just one or two people can drastically change the educational experience you have at A vs B location.

When I was applying to IM I thought it was so important to go to a major university "academic program" but it isn't that black and white. I went to mid tier academic university programs for IM, Gen Cards and IC Cards and interacted with many people from all sorts of programs along the way. There are many "academic" programs that have poor track records for certain fellowships and mediocre training and many community programs that have great education and fellowship opportunities.