"Help Me Rank" IM 2024

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gut2butt

Reaction score
Hey everyone! Hope the interview season is going well. Is it too early to start this new thread for 2024?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Posted this in the main med student forum as well but would like to get more eyes on this.

Can you rank the MA residencies by reputation? Purposely asking only about reputation as the other factors that I am considering are specific to me. Also don't worry, I didn't get interviews to all of these programs but I am keeping it broad for anonymity. Unfortunately for me, the middle to bottom areas of the list will be very relevant.

Right now the order I have is

MGH
Brigham
BIDMC
BU
Tufts
UMass
Cambridge Health Alliance
Lahey
Baystate
Mt Auburn
St. Elizabeth's
Metrowest
Berkshire
St. Vincents
Carney
Salem
Your list is reasonable. The top 3 on that list are indistinguishable from each other. The same is true for the next 3 as well. For the remainder, outside of New England, Lahey and Baystate (and maybe St E's) are probably the only ones people have even heard of (if that), let alone know anything about.

Reactions: 1 user
Your list is reasonable. The top 3 on that list are indistinguishable from each other. The same is true for the next 3 as well. For the remainder, outside of New England, Lahey and Baystate (and maybe St E's) are probably the only ones people have even heard of (if that), let alone know anything about.
Thanks so much! Where would you fit in Brown, Dartmouth, UVM, Maine, Westchester into the list?

Members don't see this ad :)
Help me rank these programs please. I am wanting to do a PCCM fellowship.

Icahn Mt. Sinai
Penn State
UConn
UT San Antonio
Cook County
Yale Waterbury
Einstein Philadelphia
Texas Tech HSC El Paso
UPMC Harrisburg
Rochester General
UCSF Fresno
Newark Beth Israel Medical Center
Alameda Health System

Really just need help ranking my top 3. I currently live in NC with all of my family there and now a child so geography places a big role for me. I’m deciding between Duke, UNC, and Vanderbilt. Feel like Duke will likely be my # 1 but am having a hard time deciding between Vanderbilt and UNC for my #2. Goal is cardiology fellowship and know that QOL is significantly better at UNC but am willing to sacrifice some of that if the differences between the two are significant.

Really just need help ranking my top 3. I currently live in NC with all of my family there and now a child so geography places a big role for me. I’m deciding between Duke, UNC, and Vanderbilt. Feel like Duke will likely be my # 1 but am having a hard time deciding between Vanderbilt and UNC for my #2. Goal is cardiology fellowship and know that QOL is significantly better at UNC but am willing to sacrifice some of that if the differences between the two are significant.
No need to make any sacrifices. Residency is hard enough and on top of that, being a parent so you will need all the support possible. You won't close any doors for fellowship training at UNC compared to Vanderbilt.

Reactions: 4 users
I'm looking for some help on how to rank programs to ultimately match into Heme/Onc anywhere, I would realistically prefer more community than research based programs for fellowship. I would say that I'd also have preferred community programs for residency too, but I need research so I'm willing to forgo that.

My concern is specifically just ranking the following IM programs. I have included them below, in my best guess of an order.

UCSF-Fresno
University of New Mexico
Kettering Medical Center - Main Campus
Metrohealth - Case Western
Advocate Lutheran General
University of Nevada Reno
University of Washington Boise

Last edited:
I'm looking for some help on how to rank programs to ultimately match into Heme/Onc anywhere, I would realistically prefer more community than research based programs for fellowship. I would say that I'd also have preferred community programs for residency too, but I need research so I'm willing to forgo that.

My concern is specifically just ranking the following IM programs. I have included them below, in my best guess of an order.

UCSF-Fresno
University of New Mexico
Kettering Medical Center - Main Campus
Metrohealth - Case Western
Advocate Lutheran General
University of Nevada Reno
University of Washington Boise
Out of that list, all I’ll say is to avoid Metrohealth. At least when I was going through residency applications not too long ago, Metro was a well known malignant program that had a habit of firing residents.

In Chicago, Advocate Lutheran is a decent, well known community program. I’d probably rank it slightly behind Northshore in that locale.

Out of that list, all I’ll say is to avoid Metrohealth. At least when I was going through residency applications not too long ago, Metro was a well known malignant program that had a habit of firing residents.

In Chicago, Advocate Lutheran is a decent, well known community program. I’d probably rank it slightly behind Northshore in that locale.

I'm pretty sure Metro has a relatively new PD who seemed really friendly, relaxed and normal during my interview. I had a second question was would it still be in my best interest to pursue UCSF-Fresno/UNM above Kettering, although all three have Heme/Onc programs? I understand that the latter is a community academic program but could that not be beneficial in terms of making a connection with PD in HO?

Hey everyone! Need some help tweaking my residency program list. I'm aiming for a PCCM fellowship and want a program that gives me solid training (autonomy, diversity, and procedures). Don't really care where it is. Would love to hear your thoughts on my list!

1. MGH
  2. Vanderbilt (Liked their customizable schedule, especially in subspecialty areas, but thinking if I should swap it with Wash U considering it has a better schedule & QoL
  3. Wash U (Had a good interview, but almost all residents match PCCM at Wash U - I'm unsure if this should be a concern, given that I might want to pursue fellowship elsewhere)
  4. Mayo (Schedule seems good, but worried about the training quality in terms of autonomy & diversity)
  5. CCF
  6. Tufts
  7. Mount Sinai Morningside

Thank you! I appreciate your feedback!

Hi all! Would appreciate any guidance on this tentative rank list. The ( / ) denotes I might swap the two. Strong preference for CA but with some exceptions. Interested in competitive fellowship options so leaning academic with in house strong fellowship programs over community.

UCSF
UCLA
U Penn / Stanford
UCSD / UC Irvine
UW
Cedars Sinai
Scripps Green
Utah
UCLA Harbor
UCLA Olive View
SCVMC

Few questions:
  • It is very possible I don’t match at any of my top 4 and UC Irvine has great salary and would be near family thus have them a little higher. Is UCSD that much better of a program compared to UC Irvine?
  • Thinking about cancelling GU/Medstar, Sidney Kimmel and UC Northshore given west coast preference and better west coast options. How do these programs compare to the middle of my list?
  • I liked Utah but prefer CA besides UPenn. Did not get great vibes from UW so have them lower. Am I being shortsighted?
Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi everyone, could you please help me with my list? Just finished most of my interviews and I feel like I really vibed with every program so far and can't decide how to rank some of them. Factors for me are: GI fellowship, QoL (culture/people), research opportunities. Really struggling on how to rank. Currently living in Baltimore and I have family in MA so staying in the east coast would be nice, but location is not a primary factor for me. My biggest question is Penn vs Yale for my #2, any thoughts on these two programs? Also really liked Mayo, but I worry a bit about resident autonomy where fellows seem to do so much, also less patient diversity than other places. Any thoughts on my list would be very much appreciated, thank you!
  1. MGH (loved my interview day)
  2. Penn vs Yale (thoughts on Penn? mixed comments about being toxic while some people love it?!)
  3. Yale (vs Mayo?)
  4. Mayo
  5. Duke
  6. BIDMC
  7. WashU
  8. Vanderbilt
  9. UW
  10. UTSW
  11. Emory
  12. Brown
Great list! Congrats. Also curious on Penn’s reputation (vs Stanford in my case) not sure which one is more malignant.

Members don't see this ad :)
HI, I'm torn between staying near family for residency and pursuing a more prestigious program. Interested in PCCM or cards and would like to pursue an academic medicine position, Michigan would be my dream. Cleveland Clinic is a fantastic medical center, but it is exquisitely painful to put it above my 3-5 here. The current rank order is because my wife and I have a lot of family in the Toledo area who would be very helpful as we may have kids during my residency.

1. Michigan
2. Cleveland Clinic
3. Johns Hopkins
4. BWH
5. MGH
6. Northwestern
7. UChicago
8. Rush

I loved JHH, BWH, and MGH and have friends at those places too so it isn't as simple a decision as family > prestige, though that is the executive summary. I'm willing to sacrifice, I just want to know what I'm sacrificing. If I land at Cleveland Clinic instead of one of the Big 4, just how much worse is my outlook in terms of a career in academia?

HI, I'm torn between staying near family for residency and pursuing a more prestigious program. Interested in PCCM or cards and would like to pursue an academic medicine position, Michigan would be my dream. Cleveland Clinic is a fantastic medical center, but it is exquisitely painful to put it above my 3-5 here. The current rank order is because my wife and I have a lot of family in the Toledo area who would be very helpful as we may have kids during my residency.

1. Michigan
2. Cleveland Clinic
3. Johns Hopkins
4. BWH
5. MGH
6. Northwestern
7. UChicago
8. Rush

I loved JHH, BWH, and MGH and have friends at those places too so it isn't as simple a decision as family > prestige, though that is the executive summary. I'm willing to sacrifice, I just want to know what I'm sacrificing. If I land at Cleveland Clinic instead of one of the Big 4, just how much worse is my outlook in terms of a career in academia?
You mean, if you have parents/in-laws to take care of the rugrats, you would presumably have more time to focus on your academic work at a highly reputable medical center? Your list makes sense.

Reactions: 1 users

1. Michigan
2. Cleveland Clinic
3. Johns Hopkins
4. BWH
5. MGH
6. Northwestern
7. UChicago
8. Rush

I would agree with being near family.

Other thoughts: why do you dream of Academia, what does your wife do for a living and will your outlook on Academia change when you have kids (will it still make sense to give up half your earning potential for “prestige” for example)

Updated list

1. BU
2. UMass
3. Tufts
4. UVM
5. Maine
6. Westcheshire
7. Baystate
8. Lahey
9. Albany
10. Sinai M/W (not main campus)

Would you swap any of these?

Hello, would really appreciate if someone can help with this list. Hoping to stay in the city but would compromise for culture, reputation/fellowship match (esp pulm/crit). Currently, my list goes like this but really unsure about my top 5.

1) Mount Sinai Morningside/West
2) Pennsylvania Hosp
3) U at Buffalo
4) Umass-Baystate or Maine Medical?
5) Geisinger or Sidney Kimmel-Christiana care
6) St. Luke's-Bethlehem
7) NYP-Brooklyn
8) Stamford-Columbia
9) Roger Williams
10) Montefiore-wakefield or Mount sinai elmhurst

Hello, would really appreciate if someone can help with this list. Hoping to stay in the city but would compromise for culture, reputation/fellowship match (esp pulm/crit). Currently, my list goes like this but really unsure about my top 5.

2) Pennsylvania Hosp
3) U at Buffalo
6) St. Luke's-Bethlehem
7) NYP-Brooklyn
8) Stamford-Columbia
9) Roger Williams
Which city are you hoping to stay in?

DO from mid/low tier school. Geography does not matter to me at all. Interested in cardiology fellowship and my primary goal is getting a cards fellowship without needing to do a chief year/research year. Also would like to avoid any truly malignant programs. I have no idea what the reputation of any of this programs is so I'm really looking for advice on that as well. All of these have cardiology fellowships in house.

1 University of Illinois, Chicago
2 Texas A&M
3 UCSF Fresno
4 Virginia Tech Carillion
5 St Lukes PA
6 Maine Medical Center
7 Univeristy of South Carolina, Columbia
8 University of New Mexico
9 Westchester, NY
10 Lenox Hill

DO from mid/low tier school. Geography does not matter to me at all. Interested in cardiology fellowship and my primary goal is getting a cards fellowship without needing to do a chief year/research year. Also would like to avoid any truly malignant programs. I have no idea what the reputation of any of this programs is so I'm really looking for advice on that as well. All of these have cardiology fellowships in house.

2 Texas A&M
3 UCSF Fresno
5 St Lukes PA
6 Maine Medical Center
9 Westchester, NY
10 Lenox Hill

When you say Texas A&M, I'm assuming you're referring to Baylor/Scott & White in Temple, TX ?

Help me rank these programs please. I am wanting to do a PCCM fellowship.

Icahn Mt. Sinai
Penn State
UConn
UT San Antonio
Cook County
Yale Waterbury
Einstein Philadelphia
Texas Tech HSC El Paso
UPMC Harrisburg
Rochester General
UCSF Fresno
Newark Beth Israel Medical Center
Alameda Health System
Any takers? I could really use some guidance

Can anyone please help me with ranking the following programs? Hoping to match into hemonc, probably will rank CCF first, but unsure about the rest. Thank you!!

Cleveland Clinic
Montefiore
Rutgers NJMS
Mount Sinai MW
NYU-LI
Stony Brook
Westchester

Can anyone please help me with ranking the following programs? Hoping to match into hemonc, probably will rank CCF first, but unsure about the rest. Thank you!!

Cleveland Clinic
Montefiore
Rutgers NJMS
Mount Sinai MW
NYU-LI
Stony Brook
Westchester
Looks reasonable. All are pretty equivalent. CCF has probably the best national rep, Monte has the best rep of those places in the NY metro and NE.

Any takers? I could really use some guidance

Mt Sinai > Penn State/UConn/UT San Antonio > the rest. Unfortunately not very familiar with the remainder of the programs but would probably rank Cook County/UCSF Fresno above the others

Cleveland Clinic
Montefiore
Rutgers NJMS
Mount Sinai MW
NYU-LI
Stony Brook
Westchester
I believe Rutgers NJMS does not yet have an in-house heme-onc fellowship, whereas Stony Brook and Westchester do. Would encourage you to double check this as this could shake up your list if you're absolutely set on heme-onc.

I believe Rutgers NJMS does not yet have an in-house heme-onc fellowship, whereas Stony Brook and Westchester do. Would encourage you to double check this as this could shake up your list if you're absolutely set on heme-onc.
they claim that their hemonc fellowship is partnered with RWJ, yeah I'm a bit apprehensive about that

Would love some help ranking the following programs. Goal is cardiology fellowship but haven't decided on PP vs academia. Would prefer a strong residency with the connections/research/opportunities to match cardio with robust clinical/procedural experience. At the same time, I really value living in a big city with stuff to do and a decent QoL. I prefer the Midwest (love Chicago) and East Coast but would forgo that for a better shot at matching fellowship.

Here is what I'm thinking so far from my options:

1. UTSW
2. CWRU
3. and 4. Ohio State vs Rush
5. UIC
6. Maryland
7. UAB
8.-10. Utah vs Wake Forest vs UFlorida
Strictly from the standpoint of program strength, I think UTSW, tOSU, UAB and Utah should be your top 4. All good programs though so You'll be fine at #1 or #10 on that list.

2 Texas A&M
3 UCSF Fresno
5 St Lukes PA
6 Maine Medical Center
9 Westchester, NY
10 Lenox Hill
Would appreciate any insight. Thanks.

Hi all! Would appreciate any guidance on this tentative rank list. The ( / ) denotes I might swap the two. Strong preference for CA but with some exceptions. Interested in competitive fellowship options so leaning academic with in house strong fellowship programs over community.

UCSF
UCLA
U Penn / Stanford
UCSD / UC Irvine
UW
Cedars Sinai
Scripps Green
Utah
UCLA Harbor
UCLA Olive View
SCVMC

Few questions:
  • It is very possible I don’t match at any of my top 4 and UC Irvine has great salary and would be near family thus have them a little higher. Is UCSD that much better of a program compared to UC Irvine?
  • Thinking about cancelling GU/Medstar, Sidney Kimmel and UC Northshore given west coast preference and better west coast options. How do these programs compare to the middle of my list?
  • I liked Utah but prefer CA besides UPenn. Did not get great vibes from UW so have them lower. Am I being shortsighted?
Thanks!
Would appreciate any advice! Thanks

Would appreciate any advice! Thanks
which fellowship you are thing among these competitive subspecialty? I assume you have strong preference for CA, if so, I will rank U penn quite low, even after UCLA other programs, Unless you have preference going into very academic practice, any of your options starting from UW and above are great, maybe UCI the weakest among those.

which fellowship you are thing among these competitive subspecialty? I assume you have strong preference for CA, if so, I will rank U penn quite low, even after UCLA other programs, Unless you have preference going into very academic practice, any of your options starting from UW and above are great, maybe UCI the weakest among those.
GI > Oncology. Upenn i feel is a really solid program so just thinking about ranking them above the other CA programs after UCSF and UCLA.

GI > Oncology. Upenn i feel is a really solid program so just thinking about ranking them above the other CA programs after UCSF and UCLA.
definitely a great choice if you can live outside of CA for 3 years. I will do that if I were you, get to any of the top 4, you will be in great position.

2) Pennsylvania Hosp
3) U at Buffalo
6) St. Luke's-Bethlehem
7) NYP-Brooklyn
8) Stamford-Columbia
9) Roger Williams
Help with this? Hoping to stay in NYC but would compromise for a better program/QOL and better fellowship match rate in PCCM

Interested in Hospitalist vs PCCM; perhaps want to enter health policy?

1) BWH
2) UPenn
3) UChicago
4) Yale
5) Cornell

No location preference, thank you!

Hi all. I'm struggling to rank my 5-10 picks. Specifically, I can't decide if I want to move OOS to a university program like UNLV, U of A Tucson, or UNM versus staying at a community program here in CA. I would prefer to stay in-state but ultimately don't want to hurt my chances in applying for addiction medicine after IM. Some community programs include Huntington Hospital, Kaiser Inland Empire, and similar SoCal programs.

Appreciate the input!

Having difficulty ranking my top 6, focusing on QoL/schedule/general work environment. Location isn’t important as I have family in most if not all of these places. Interested in pulm/crit.

(Not in order)
Brown
Boston University
CCF
Georgetown
Hopkins Bayview
MUSC
If you're not going to put them in order, why should anyone else?

Hi all. I'm struggling to rank my 5-10 picks. Specifically, I can't decide if I want to move OOS to a university program like UNLV, U of A Tucson, or UNM versus staying at a community program here in CA. I would prefer to stay in-state but ultimately don't want to hurt my chances in applying for addiction medicine after IM. Some community programs include Huntington Hospital, Kaiser Inland Empire, and similar SoCal programs.

Appreciate the input!
Addiction is not competitive. At the same time, UNLV, UA-T and UNM aren't exactly powerhouse academic places so I'd go where you feel most comfortable.

Hi all! Would love some assistance on my list as I am quite confused haha. Strong preference for a big city - particularly Chicago and strong heme/onc program.

1. UChicago
2. Michigan
3. Cleveland Clinic
4/5. Brown vs Thomas Jefferson
6. Georgetown
7. UIC
8. Rush
9. Temple
10. Montefiore
11. GW
12. Maryland
13. Rutgers RWJ
14. Miami

I am pretty set on 1 and 2 but confused about the rest, particularly with regards to H/O. Would appreciate any help!! Thank you!

Hi all! Would love some assistance on my list as I am quite confused haha. Strong preference for a big city - particularly Chicago and strong heme/onc program.

1. UChicago
2. Michigan
3. Cleveland Clinic
4/5. Brown vs Thomas Jefferson
6. Georgetown
7. UIC
8. Rush
9. Temple
10. Montefiore
11. GW
12. Maryland
13. Rutgers RWJ
14. Miami

I am pretty set on 1 and 2 but confused about the rest, particularly with regards to H/O. Would appreciate any help!! Thank you!
I think your Top 3 are good.

Curious why RWJ isn't higher, I know it's not in a big city but it's close to NYC and Philly, NIH cancer center, and I believe a solid fellowship match.

Hey guys! Looking for advice on my rank list. Currently interested in heme/onc. Would like to balance quality of life (warm weather with outdoor activities), dating opportunities (looking at the big picture here), proximity to my family in NC with great training, research access and support, and positive learning environment. Here's my rough draft:

1. UNC
2. UVA
3. UMiami (I am worried about getting lost in such a big program-but it's a high volume, great schedule, with numerous opportunities and it's near the beach and direct flight home)
4. VCU
5. MUSC (would rank higher but concerned about 24 hour call. also doesn't seem like their fellowship prioritizes their own)
6. UF (loved the program. not excited about Gainesville and driving 2 hours to the nearest airport. and alligators.)
7-8 ECU vs Carolinas Medical Center
9. Maine medical Center (loved my interview here and that it's near the water. Just wish it weren't so cold and far away...)
10. Loyola (^same reason)
11. MCG (do not want to live in Augusta but loved my interview and very impressed with their program)
12. Anne Arundel
13. Novant New Hanover community IM Program in Wilmington
14. Uni of Texas Medical Branch Galveston (did not have a good interview experience)

thank you!

Last edited:
Hi all as well! wanted some advice on how I should rank. some notes on what I care/want to do: from west coast but did med school in the south, strong support network in both areas. significant other is in the Mid-South however. very highly interested in GI, and then maybe heme/onc or endocrine. I care about QoL a lot as well though and marginally prefer this over which is most prestigious (correct me if I should do the opposite though for GI?). Prefer to be near a bigger, ethnically diverse city with great food options. Don't really care if I end up back in the west coast or stay in the south. my tentative RoL with the options I have:

1. UTHealth Houston
2. UTHSC Memphis
3. Harbor-UCLA
4. Alameda Highland
5. Kaiser Santa Clara
6. Santa Clara VMC
7. Tulane
8. UTHSC Nashville (more of community than academic feel imo)
9. Loma Linda
10. Methodist Le bonheur Memphis
11. LSU Shreveport

I'm not the most competitive fyi via step scores so I need to take that into consideration. US-MD student. Loma Linda is just really low imo because the program just looks like they overwork their residents to the core. LSU shreveport bc well...it's shreveport lol. I understand these 2 have in-house GI fellowships tho. Kaiser SC doesn't have a great track record for GI matches (but has amazing QoL) but I am plugged in with some research at Stanford GI/hep dept at the moment and am productive with research at the moment, hopefully with a pub soon. Should I bump up Tulane over options #3-6?

Open for feedback/comments/any type of suggestions.
I will say that there's not a huge amount daylight in "program strength" between most of the places on your list. So if this list is how they felt to you, it's hard to argue with.

I think that SCVMC is one of the strongest community IM programs on the west coast, probably "better" that Highland or Kaiser. LLU is "better" too, but I get the issues some might have with that place.

It's not clear to me how well Tulane has recovered in terms of reputation and staffing post-Katrina, yes, even now. But I do have a friend who was doing a research year during med school in the same lab where I was a post-doc who went there for IM and absolutely loved it. She stayed in NO as a PCP and is very happy.

If I were trying to maximize my fellowship chances, I think my top 5 from your list would include UT-Houston, Harbor, LLU and then 2 of Tulane/SCVMC/Memphis.

Hey guys! Looking for advice on my rank list. Currently interested in heme/onc. Would like to balance quality of life (warm weather with outdoor activities), dating opportunities (looking at the big picture here), proximity to my family in NC with great training, research access and support, and positive learning environment. Here's my rough draft:

1. UNC
2. UVA
3. UMiami (I am worried about getting lost in such a big program-but it's a high volume, great schedule, with numerous opportunities and it's near the beach and direct flight home)
4. VCU
5. MUSC (would rank higher but concerned about 24 hour call. also doesn't seem like their fellowship prioritizes their own)
6. UF (loved the program. not excited about Gainesville and driving 2 hours to the nearest airport. and alligators.)
7-8 ECU vs Carolinas Medical Center
9. Maine medical Center (loved my interview here and that it's near the water. Just wish it weren't so cold and far away...)
10. Loyola (^same reason)
11. MCG (do not want to live in Augusta but loved my interview and very impressed with their program)
12. Anne Arundel
13. Novant New Hanover community IM Program in Wilmington
14. Uni of Texas Medical Branch Galveston (did not have a good interview experience)

thank you!
I'm not sure what outdoor activities Miami has other than hanging out on the beach, but I digress. Based on your goals, the list looks good as is.

Hi all! Would very much appreciate any advice on my rank list. Hoping to match GI, will probably rank Rutgers RWJ #1 but I'm uncertain about the rest. Location is not a concern, focused on maximizing chances to match GI. Current draft:

1. Rutgers RWJ
2. Zucker/Northwell
3. Stony Brook
4. Mt Sinai Morningside/West
5. University of Vermont
6. Cooper
7. Westchester
8. Virginia Tech Carilion
9. Mt Sinai South Nassau

Thank you so much!!

I'm a DO student who is interested in heme/onc fellowship. For purposes of remaining close to home, I feel it's worth leaving Loyola at #1. But I need help organizing the rest of this list. Should a low-tier academic program still rank higher than community to increase my chances? It's difficult to compare their heme/onc matches because I know it depends on class interest in the specialty.

1. Loyola
2. Cleveland Clinic
University of Kentucky
University of Louisville
UTennessee Knoxville
SIU
UofI Peoria (considered an affiliate)
Wright State University
UChicago (NorthShore) --they seem to match well but what is their reputation?
Advocate Christ in Chicago

In a bit of a dilemma right now. I’m an MD student from a low tier med school. 25x/AOA. I have gotten interviews at multiple academic institutions but was wondering if I would be shooting myself in the foot going to a low tier residency near home. I want to eventually go into cardiology so I would appreciate some advice.

In a bit of a dilemma right now. I’m an MD student from a low tier med school. 25x/AOA. I have gotten interviews at multiple academic institutions but was wondering if I would be shooting myself in the foot going to a low tier residency near home. I want to eventually go into cardiology so I would appreciate some advice.
If cards is your plan, you should go to the "best" residency you can. That means a lot of different things to a log of different people. You'll have to figure out what it means to you specifically.