Armed Services Upgrade?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eiot

Typical Chazz
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was reading this thread- http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=806948 As a retired Marine I feel like this service singles out a vast majority of Marines. From my experience, only E-6's and above receive a .mil e-mail address. I don't know how it is for every branch, but I'm pretty sure the Army gets assigned a .mil e-mail address as soon as they register on AKO, yet MOL "no longer supports e-mails" in the FAQs.

I opened a ticket last October offering my military ID, copy of honorable discharge, and various other documentation including my DD-214 as substitution for verification. I was told it was illegal for the SDN staff to ask for a copy of my ID, which I found odd considering USStandardIssue, a website run by Oakley, the sunglasses manufacturer, provides access to veterans a variety of sales and discounts on ballistic eyewear through the verification of military IDs. I was also provided with this link to TITLE 18 U.S.C. § 701: U.S. Code – Section 701 http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/USCODE-2009-title18/pdf/USCODE-2009-title18-partI-chap33-sec701.pdf This specifies that it is illegal to copy, distribute, or have possession of military identification except as authorized. When browsing Tricare's website I found this- *Title 18, United States Code, Section 701 prohibits photographing or possessing uniformed services ID cards in an unauthorized manner. Unauthorized use exists only if the bearer uses the card in a manner that would enable him or her to obtain benefits, privileges, or access to which he or she is not entitled.

So from reading the above, I feel that Marines and the military in general should be allowed to submit copies of their military IDs in exchange for the Armed Services Upgrade. Even a certificate of honorable discharge or DD-214 should more than suffice. I submitted another request earlier today as I'd like to talk with them a little more about it. Anyway, what do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

Anyway, what do you guys think?

The site is a private enterprise, and the moderators make the rules. Most posters on the forums are not associated with the military anyway. They are offering a complimentary upgrade, no one says you have to upgrade your account.

Make sure to make an ICE complaint about this as well

Members don't see this ad :)
The site is a private enterprise, and the moderators make the rules. Most posters on the forums are not associated with the military anyway. They are offering a complimentary upgrade, no one says you have to upgrade your account.
I'm well aware. I'm speaking about the inconsistencies of eligibility between branches and the overall difficulty of obtaining this "complimentary upgrade" for individuals who are clearly eligible.

Have you even tried messaging one of the moderators or the admin prior to starting this rant? I would bet they have something that would work out for you if you simply asked instead of putting them on blast.

SDN is correct, you're not supposed to photocopy your ID. Not sure how Oakley bypassed the issue for so long, possibly because it is the SM and not Oakley making the photocopy...

correct me if i'm wrong, but aren't medical assets in the marines taken from the navy? i thought the marines had a long history of pillaging medical assets from the navy, lol. ie, they have no organic corpsman, PA's, docs, etc.

i also find it hard to believe the marines aren't allowed email address until E6. can they get one through NKO? can anyone else verify this? we don't have any marines at my current installation.

regardless, from what the instructions state, retirees do not appear to be eligible-- it looks like active duty, reserve, and national guard. hopefully you get a response, if not let me know.

--your friendly neighborhood respects the lava monster fighters caveman

Don't know how long this person has been out, but as far as I know every single military member in the Navy and Marine Corps has a .usmc.mil or navy.mil email account by the time they hit their first duty station.