Army Baylor DPT application guidance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LJE

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning on applying to the Army Baylor DPT Program for the 2012 cohort- I’m an older student, already have a bachelors degree and working on the prerequisite courses to be able to apply. (And I am in contact with a recruiter).
Anyone already in the program or a graduate that could offer some guidance on the application process? Anything you wish you had known/done prior to the program?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Greetings,

I was in your shoes not that long ago looking for any information beyond what's on the website for the Army-Baylor program... so now that I am in the program, I hope I can help answer some of your questions. Below you'll find my two cents on the application process and some information on the students:

RECRUITER:
My first piece of advice is to start working with your recruiter ASAP and be persistent with them and responsive to them. They prepare your application package that goes before the board, so try and make their life as easy as possible by meeting their suspenses. Always follow up with them to confirm receipt of documents and make sure everything is correct.

GRADES:
The website says you need a minimum GPA of 3.1. A minimum GPA will not do you any favors... I think the average GPA for my class was around 3.8.

GRE:
Again, the website gives you the minimums but you need higher scores than that. The board specifically looks at the verbal score, as that seems to be a better indication of success in this program. Anything over 550 would make you competitive.

OBSERVATION HOURS:
Get lots of them! I know some civilian schools emphasize x amount of hours in a variety of settings, but the bottom line here is get as many hours as you can. Since your patient population will consist primarily of orthopedics and sports, that tends to be where most people accumulate their hours. Don't underestimate the importance of getting several (if not most) hours in a military setting.

ESSAYS:
They are important... and a great opportunity for you to tell the board why you want to be in the military health care system. Emphasize what you can contribute to it rather than what you will get out of it!

TOUR:
If you can swing it, try and get to Fort Sam Houston and take a tour with the faculty (worked out through your recruiter). It does two things: shows them your interest in the program and gives you the opportunity to interact with the faculty and get specific academic questions answered. It is well worth your time.

PHONE INTERVIEW:
I've heard stories about people with 4.0 GPAs, and stats off the charts blow it in the interview. Take it seriously and prepare for it as if you were sitting across from the interviewer. Have an understanding of the environment you are entering (read - know deployment is a possibility) and remember you are not only talking to a faculty member, but a senior military officer (read - use appropriate customs and courtesies).

LETTERS of RECOMMENDATION:
Choose wisely... and make sure they will meet your deadlines! It never hurts to have a military PT write one of these if you have the opportunity to make that happen.

I think that covers most of the application process...
As for the students, there are 20 Army, 2 Air Force and 2 Navy for a total class size of 24. We run the gamut in age, background, experience, etc. I would say the average age is high 20s/low30s, several have prior military service (but the majority do not). Undergraduate degrees are pretty varied, too, so as long as you are squared away with your pre-requisites you should be fine.

The Army members report to Ft. Sam Houston in September, and your first "semester" is spent in the Army Medical Department's Basic Officer Leadership Course which runs through December. In January you will start the 18 month didactic portion (phase 1) which includes two 8-week clinical rotations. Phase 2 is a 12 month clinical residency, then you graduate and roll out to your first duty station.

I hope you found this helpful and good luck... it really is an amazing program!

Last edited:
Beardpt, or to whomever may be able to answer this question, I have an application currently in for the Army Baylor DPT program and the next step is to have a phone interview? Do you recall if your phone interview was formally scheduled or if randomly occurred, types of questions asked and if there is an in-person interview?

Thanks

pk5,

There is no in-person interview, just the phone one. Mine was formally scheduled, but exactly how that will come about depends on what faculty member is conducting the interview and how they choose to handle it.

As for the types of questions, I think that will also depend somewhat on who is doing the interview. Generally, be prepared to speak to the differences between military and civilian PTs and why you want to work in the military setting. Also, be ready to share your thoughts on working in a deployed environment.

Above all, be honest with your responses... don't answer with what you think they want to hear and don't be afraid to ask questions of your interviewer.

Good luck!

2 curiosities while reading through
I'm somewhat surprised that the verbal percentile was looked at heavier than the quantitative. Most schools I've seen gear it the other way around, any thoughts on it?

What's the deployment schedule and service length commitment requirement after graduation? Is the active deployment period abroad usually the same possible time frame as the general service commitment for the non-deployed periods?

hefe,

I'm not sure why they emphasize the verbal and other programs do not.

Your service length depends on what branch you are in. Generally speaking, it's about a 7 year commitment, including the time in the program, so when you graduate you'll owe back roughly 4 years.

The deployment schedule is too variable to speak to with any accuracy. It depends on what the current climate is like when you graduate, what unit you are assigned to, etc. Your first assignment out of the gate should be to a CONUS (continental US) base and you should expect to spend at least a year there before deploying to ensure your clinical skills are fundamentally sound... but there is no set schedule or guarantee. The length of a deployment varies, too, (typically about a year if there is such a thing as "typical") but a standard assignment is usually 2-3 years in one location.

Hope this helps clarify, even if it doesn't provide any specifics!

the contract length is 81 months - which includes the 27 month school -

i'm assuming you've had your interview by now - how did it go?

is your packet done/forwarded to the QC?

I applied to the Army Baylor program this year. I know it is probably unrealistic for me due to my GRE scores. Yet I was just wondering when does the committee usually make decisions and what is the latest that you can be contacted for an interview? (I know they suppose to convene this month). Thanks for any help.

what's your gre/gpa etc ?

the board meets on the 23rd of February this year - expect a call from your recruiter the following week

Thanks for your reply. My undergrad GPA is 3.8 but my GRE verbal scores were very low (I got a 450 on verbal) and my quantitative scores were about 560. I studied hard for the GRE but my nerves got to me. I knew my GRE scores would be the main thing holding me back. I knew this would be a long shot for me so I've applied to many other schools, yet it would be such an honor to serve the men & women of the Armed forces & their families as a military PT. Maybe I will try to increase my GRE scores and reapply. If you are denied, does the recruiter still contact you or do you just not hear anything back? Thanks for your help.

they will contact you either way.

you'll either be 'selected' - which means you're in the program

'nonselect' - which means you need to re-apply next year

or

'oml' - on the 'Order of Merit List' - their version of the 'waitlist'

the board does not release the exact Order of the OML to the recruiter - so you won't know where you're at (if you're on it).

my recruiter told me that those that are 'selected' hardly ever choose not to attend - so they don't go that far down the OML (maybe 2 spots? at the most) -

so if you're the first one on the OML (you won't know it) - and when/if someone decides not to commit - then you'll get a call then

-- now, let's you and I get speed up the space/time continuum so that we can get an answer :)

they only take 20 army, 2 air force, and 2 navy (though the navy one is new to me, i thought those 2 went to 'public health')

Members don't see this ad :)
well you at least meet the minimums on your GRE verbal and overall scores. Sometimes, depending on who is on the board, that might matter and it might not. I was told some board members will look to see your experience and LOR's over your GRE scores. They might also look at your statement of motivation and autobiography as a deciding factor. I was told they are trying to make more diverse classes now, instead of the old way of just the people with the highest scores get in. So eventhough you might kill the GRE with like a 1300, doesnt exactly mean you will get in. So hold out hope. Maybe you, HeyCmonNow, and I will all be classmates this year :) best of luck :xf:

that sounds hopeful (that it's not just a numbers game anymore) - i just figure most boards look at the Big Three (gpa/gre/hours)

and indeed, if we all make it - the first round is on me!

Thanks for all the info! I really appreciate it. I hope both of you (HeyCmonNow & DPTHopeful921) get in! Best of luck!

2 curiosities while reading through
I'm somewhat surprised that the verbal percentile was looked at heavier than the quantitative. Most schools I've seen gear it the other way around, any thoughts on it?

What's the deployment schedule and service length commitment requirement after graduation? Is the active deployment period abroad usually the same possible time frame as the general service commitment for the non-deployed periods?

As of right now, it is policy that a service-member (Army) must have a year of dwell time (time at home) before they are eligible to deploy again. The deployment schedule will depend on where you are assigned and what position you hold. If you happen to go to a Brigade Combat Team as the Brigade Physical Therapist, you will have a faster deployment cycle than someone who is stationed at an Army Medical Center.

the board results have just been released--

:(

oml...

what?!? no way HeyCmonNow. Thats such a bummer :( i haven't heard anything yet, idk if thats a good or bad sign... hopefully next yr is your yr! (heck, even this yr could be a possibility if enough people decline)

just found out that i was put on the OML :(
... this sucks!! :mad:
well nothing to do but start putting the packet together for next year...

hello there, anyone who has been eighter accepted into baylor or is already a student of baylor pt graduate school, could you please email me @ [email protected] i would really appreciate any help or advice you guys could give me about getting into the program, thanks again god bless. Jorge Garza