Army - changing residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thomas90

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm considering whether it makes sense for me to change fields. I haven't discussed this with anyone in my program, and I'm just curious if anyone has gone through the process of changing residencies w/in the military recently and how it worked out in general terms.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm considering whether it makes sense for me to change fields. I haven't discussed this with anyone in my program, and I'm just curious if anyone has gone through the process of changing residencies w/in the military recently and how it worked out in general terms.

Not nearly enough info. You can resign, be a GMO and apply for another residency, or work something out in your hospital. More than likely you will go off as a GMO.

Not nearly enough info. You can resign, be a GMO and apply for another residency, or work something out in your hospital. More than likely you will go off as a GMO.

I had a buddy who did just that. Started FP residency, after a year decided he wanted to do ER. His only option was to take a GMO spot for a couple years then either get out and apply to a civilian residency or apply again to a military residency.

Not sure of the details, but it didn't seem too hard to just become a GMO, not sure how difficult it will be for him to get into another residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tell us a little more about your situation so we can help.

A residency change = a GMO tour in the Army today.

I don't see anyway around it in the current environment.

A residency change = a GMO tour in the Army today.

I don't see anyway around it in the current environment.

Last year one of our residents decided not to do EM and switched residencies midway during the first year. They did not go through the match process again and was not required to do a GMO tour. While not the norm, it is possible.