Army Army Family Medicine Residency question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DonKing

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know the Army doesn't have spots set aside for civilian deferment in family medicine.. Is it recommended to apply through ERAS also in case one doesn't match (if this turned out to be rare year that family fills) So basically if you dont match would you be automatically required to do Army transitional year? I am trying to figure how it works.

Members don't see this ad.

I know the Army doesn't have spots set aside for civilian deferment in family medicine.. Is it recommended to apply through ERAS also in case one doesn't match (if this turned out to be rare year that family fills) So basically if you dont match would you be automatically required to do Army transitional year? I am trying to figure how it works.
Yes, if you don't match to a specialty then the default is TY. Don't count on a civilian deferment.

Don't waste your time. You will get an FM residency unless you have huge red flags and/or are an dingus. I believe this last years match had 0.6 applicants/position. As long as you and the program click you're good.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
I think family medicine has been available for rebuttal board (army version of match scramble) for the last 3 years.