Army GMO Tour+ Surgery Residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aznwangsta

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm attending USMA (West Point) next year with the plan of going for a medical school slot. I'd eventually like to do a GMO tour with an infantry unit like the Rangers or 82nd Airborne, but I'd also like to specialize in a surgical specialty like neurosurgery. Is there any possibility of doing this?? Thanks.

aznwangsta

Members don't see this ad.

absolutely. after finishing medical school you would do your intern year in surgery then go on to a utilization tour. After your tour you would be able to finish your residency. As a matter of fact it seems fairly common for this to happen for West Pointers.(Appropriate caveat - while the aforementioned is certainly possible, you are to be a cadet and therefore the property of the US Army. They will decide your dispensation).

Thanks for your helpful reply, GeoLeoX. As I understand it, the neurosurgical residency is extremely competitive in the Army (1 slot at Walter Reed?). What happens if I don't get the slot? Do I choose another residency program? Do another GMO tour? Get a civilian program (if that's even possible)? Thanks.

aznwangsta

Members don't see this ad :)
Those are all options. Which ones are available to you will depend on the current climate. If you don't get the one slot, you could do another tour. If the Army needs more neurosurgeons than it can train in its programs then you may get a civilian deferment (though I know for USUHS grads this is not an option). These are all maybes and you will get a sense of things when it gets closer to the time. The fact is that you have an Army obligation as a West Point grad - if you want to do medicine then you will be able to fufill that requirement in medicine. As you are already learning there are no guarantees with the Army. You get what you want by being adaptable and planning ahead as best you can. I like to think of it as a controlled fall. You can try to maneuver away from things, but sometimes you can't avoid them. Conversely, you can aim for the nice, soft bushes but you may land on the concrete.

Geo

Thanks very much for your helpful advice, Geo. I'll keep all these things in mind as I head into West Point next year- now I have a more clarified sense of my future goals!

Thanks again.

aznwangsta

Originally posted by aznwangsta
Thanks for your helpful reply, GeoLeoX. As I understand it, the neurosurgical residency is extremely competitive in the Army (1 slot at Walter Reed?).

It depends on the year. Twice in recent history the slot has gone unfilled.

Ed

Thanks for the input, Ed. What do you think would cause that to happen?

aznwangsta

What is it LIKE exactly to be a GMO in the Army, especially with combat units? The duties? Lifestyle? Roles?

aznwangsta