Army HPSP- AEGD Necessary for Endo?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreDentGator2021

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a current second year student and thinking about applying to Endo after I finish my HPSP contract. Would it be beneficial for my application to take advantage of the Army AEGD, or would it be easier/faster for me to just get through the four years and apply one year earlier? I will also be graduating from an Ivy League school if that improves my chances at all, but I'm not sure how much dental school affects your chances once you have work experience. Thank you for any and all input!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm Endo, Big Hoss is Peds. I can only speak for Endo applications so I will give you my opinion. I agree with what Big Hoss is saying.... however make sure that if you choose to go the credentialling route (as I did) you can explain why you didn't select a PGY1 during a visit/interview. Most if not all of your competition will have PGY1 experience and probably private practice experience too. Obviously you want to be as competitive as possible. Military will get your foot in the door, but won't guarantee anything. GPA/rank/experience/personality/research can make a difference. In hindsight, I might have done a PGY1 to "check that box". The Ivy thing really only matters to Ivy people. Most want to see a degree and don't care from where. Feel free to PM.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know how it is in the army but for navy an AEGD/GPR can be a real crapshoot. The procedures you do will vary depending on your duty station and leadership. Heck I know some people who did more variety of procedures during their credentialing tour than those in AEGD/GPR. I agree that having an AEGD/GPR is a check in the box when applying to military/civilian residency and that helps but if you are applying to a civilian residency, I don't think it will make a big difference since you will already have 4 years of experience in the military.

for navy an AEGD/GPR can be a real crapshoot
This.

The Command where I did my credentialing tour had an AEGD/GPR. Every single one of the residents that overlapped with me regretted doing the PGY1 there. They all said it was a complete waste of time, especially when they heard about what I was doing as a lowly credentialing LT.

However, if you do want to apply to military specialty programs, doing a PGY1 will show them that you’ve drank the Kool-Aid. They like Kool-Aid drinkers.

4300595A-2991-4E8B-9903-007B72C26764.gif

Big Hoss

Reactions: 1 users
I guess you can argue that you are improving your didactic knowledge and getting credentialed to do stuff like third molar extractions and implant restoration but no guarantee you will be able to continue doing that at your next duty station.

I did Army AEGD and currently applying for civilian endo program right now. I loved my AEGD but it really depends on who your mentors are during your year.

I'm Endo, Big Hoss is Peds. I can only speak for Endo applications so I will give you my opinion. I agree with what Big Hoss is saying.... however make sure that if you choose to go the credentialling route (as I did) you can explain why you didn't select a PGY1 during a visit/interview. Most if not all of your competition will have PGY1 experience and probably private practice experience too. Obviously you want to be as competitive as possible. Military will get your foot in the door, but won't guarantee anything. GPA/rank/experience/personality/research can make a difference. In hindsight, I might have done a PGY1 to "check that box". The Ivy thing really only matters to Ivy people. Most want to see a degree and don't care from where. Feel free to PM.
I know that most people are saying it’s not necessary, but do you think having the additional year could provide that extra boost? Ideally I would want to get into a paid program, or a state program that the GI bill covers fully, so I definitely want a competitive application.