Army HPSP chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spidey066

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i just got my MCAT scores back yesterday and I got a 26 (7V, 9PS, 10BS). I'm really bummed out about the verbal. I have a 3.3 GPA and I'm a senior now. I am NOT a URM.

My ECs are as follow:
-officer in premedical society
-more than a year of undergraduate research in a biological sciences lab on campus
-did a mission trip to a third world country (was an officer in the organization that led the trip)
-in a fraternity (held multiple officer positions)
-peer health advocate on campus
-more than 50 hours of shadowing in the ER (MD doc)

I'm fairly confident that I can bring up my GPA to at least a 3.4 by the time I graduate and start applying. I also am in the process of talking to a D.O. doctor so that I can get some more shadowing in (hopefully around 100 hours) over winter break. I'm also taking a gap year so that I can scribe and get some more clinical experience in. (I would be applying next year so that I could start medical school in 2016). I also have a good friend in the army who has done tours in the middle east who I planned on getting a LOR from (idk if that would make a difference or not).

I'm honestly really worried about my mcat. I heard that the Army is being very stringent about their (8V, 8PS, 8BS) 24 mcat minimum rule. My 7 in verbal is really screwing me over now. Is there a way I can get past this requirement? I heard that there was a waiver you can fill to get past it but it makes you less competitive for the scholarship. I was scoring mostly 27s and 28s on my practice exams and I'm really disheartened to learn that I got a 26. I am thinking about a retake but is it really worth it? The time I would aim to try it would be in January (I really don't want to have to take the new exam and I don't know how that would work with the army's hpsp requirements) but the nearest testing center is around 300 miles away. Another thing is that I am a fairly busy person and I don't know if I have enough time to dedicate to studying for this exam. If I am going to retake I want to make sure I do at least 3 points better. I'm just really disappointed that I studied all summer long and only have a 26 to show for it. What do you guys think I should do? And what do you think about my chances for an army hpsp scholarship as of now with my current mcat?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Even if I present an acceptance letter from a D.O. school?