Army HPSP full?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It is official I am in the Army. This may seem like a stupid question, but I did not want to ask my recruiter. I know I came in as a Lieutenant, but am I only a Lieutenant during the summer in ADT training?

You are a second lieutenant all the time. You are in the Individual Ready Reserve. You get a reserve id and can go on base. You are entitled to use any of the base facilities. If you get in trouble with the law, then you are also subject to military discipline (jeopardize your scholarship).

Members don't see this ad.

I spoke to my recruiter today and she said that I was board selected pending
"scroll". Anyone have any idea what that means?

Thanks

i think the scroll is a piece of paper with an official approval from congress. they have to get it before they commission you. pretty sure its more of a formality than anything else.

faith, you dont get bumped up to Captain until after you graduate and start internship, etc...

Thanks I just want to be able to answer people correctly. I have been telling them the answer that was told to me, but I wanted to be sure i was not embelishing the truth. I am still on cloud nine and this summer will make it really real for me. I am just getting choked up thinking about it. I am going to be the best officer that I can be.:xf:Good luck to everyone waiting for the next board. :xf::xf:

GO ARMY!!!!!!!!
CLASS OF 2014 UCF!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats faith2! And yes you are a second lieutenant all the time while in med school, but during the ADT you get active duty O-1 pay (funny how that works...). Just think, as soon as you get your ID card, you can start using/abusing your PX and commissary privileges!

why would you get anything other than O-1 pay until you get promoted?

maybe it was just a reference to actually getting salary while on ADTs vs. the stipend during the school year (don't know why its funny though).

faith, remember you are 2LT (second lieutenant, O-1), not a First Lieutenant (O-2....we never get to be O-2)...that being said, the convention is that when someone is addressing you they'll say "lieutenant faith" not "second lieutenant faith". But when a friend asks you what rank you are, you're a second lieutenant.

Yes, I was talking about getting the salary as opposed to the stipend, sorry for any confusion. The funny part was about getting active duty pay while you're on active duty during the ADTs, which I suppose it not actually funny at all.

Okay thanks now I get it about the ranks. Another question what is PX, and when do you get your ID, and what commissary priveledges?

Another question please...the equipment and clothes needed for the summer ADT do buy it or does the army reimburse you?

Within the 45 days are you allowed to go out during your free time, and can you drive your car to TX?

Thanks

GO ARMY!!!!!!!!!!
ACCEPTED UCF 2014!!!!!!!!

Okay thanks now I get it about the ranks. Another question what is PX, and when do you get your ID, and what commissary priveledges?

Another question please...the equipment and clothes needed for the summer ADT do buy it or does the army reimburse you?

Within the 45 days are you allowed to go out during your free time, and can you drive your car to TX?

Thanks

GO ARMY!!!!!!!!!!
ACCEPTED UCF 2014!!!!!!!!

PX- Post Exchange (Like a Department Store)

Commissary Privileges- The right to shop a the base commissary (grocery store). In my experience WalMart has better prices.

As soon as you are placed in DEERs you can go and get your ID. You said you have been sworn in so you should be able to go now. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

As far as uniforms, you will get an initial uniform allowance which is quite small, I believe $400, and your uniforms cost around $2,000. Both of these numbers are estimates, but needless to say there will be significant out of pocket expenses. For USUHS, they recommend we bring at least $2,000 to ODS to pay for our uniforms.

My recruiter just called me and forwarded an email saying that I'm Board Selected!:D

I am so happy for you!!!!!!!!!!!! Are you doing the training this summer?

My recruiter just called me and forwarded an email saying that I'm Board Selected!:D

I was selected at the December boards but was told that OBLC for this summer has been full for ~three months. Lame.

[
Oh I really wanted to do it this summer. Well I guess we will just enjoy our last summer of freedom.

QUOTE=Roberie;9142243]I was selected at the December boards but was told that OBLC for this summer has been full for ~three months. Lame.[/QUOTE]

Members don't see this ad :)
I am so happy for you!!!!!!!!!!!! Are you doing the training this summer?

Thank You! I'm being commissioned on Monday.
I have to wait for training because MSU starts 1st yr classes in June.

PS. The recruiters at the Miami recruiting office (Doral) are the best!!!:D

I agree that is where I went. Congrats again.

Thank You! I'm being commissioned on Monday.
I have to wait for training because MSU starts 1st yr classes in June.

PS. The recruiters at the Miami recruiting office (Doral) are the best!!!:D

december board for me - found out today as well

I thought you were big on the navy before bud? Just remember you from other posts so definitely could be wrong.

i'm waiting to hear back right now and every time my phone rings my heart skips a beat. this is killing me!!!!!

I was wondering if anyone is having issues applying for HPSP. I called my local Army Health Recruiter today, and she notified me that Army HPSP has already met their quota and that I will not be eligible to apply until October 2010. Kind of bummed about this since I was accepted to med school for 2010, and thought I would at least be able to apply to in the Army. I didn't realize HPSP was so competitive and was wondering how others are getting into the program.

Full, ie run out of the allotted scholarship money for that fiscal year.

Congrats to all you new folks.

Another question what is PX, and when do you get your ID, and what commissary priveledges?

Army bases are called "Posts." The PX is the Post Exchange. It is operated by the Army Air Force Exchange Service (AAFES). It is essentially a department store on base. There is also the commissary (grocery store) and the class 6 (liquor store, in reference to some reg about alcohol, I think). As an officer on Individual Ready Reserve (IRR), you are entitled to use these facilities, and you should if you live near a base/post (base= Navy/Air Force), because they are CHEAP!!!

You get your id by making sure all of your paperwork has been submitted by your recruiter. Use the DEERS finder to find the nearest id facility. It doesn't matter what service you go to. You can get an id at any facility; Army, AF or Navy. Call them and ask if your information is in DEERS yet. If it's not, then you'll have to wait a week or two and call back. Once you're in, then you can make an appointment, or just walk in (for the latter, it works just fine, but you will want to be in line at opening time and be prepared to wait. shouldn't cost you more than a morning of sitting, bring a magazine and you should be fine.). If you're married, make sure your spouse is in DEERS, bring your marriage cert. with you. You will also need two forms of id. Passport/DL/something else?.

Once you have your id, you can go on base. If you live near a base or will be going there more than just once then you'll want a sticker for your car. You will go to the visitor center right next to the gate. They will want to see your license/reg and your id. You'll then get a sticker to let your vehicle on base for a couple years.

You'll need your id to do pretty much anything on base. You flash it to the cashier. Also, just for kicks, you should go see a movie at the post theater once. Tickets are free, I think, and there's only like one showing a week, but before the movie they play the national anthem and it was always kind of cool to see a room packed full of kids/teens/adults go completely silent and stand for that. They talked through the rest of the movie, but my wife and I thought it was really cool.

As an officer, you will get a one time uniform allowance of like $400. This will not be enough to buy your uniforms. Plan for $1200+. You can get it all when you show up for OBLC, or get it before. You will HAVE to get your name tapes before you show up. That takes weeks. As for the rest, it might be a good idea to get your kit squared away before day one, as it would be a much more relaxing experience to do it on your own time, and you can break in your boots a little bit. I haven't been to OBLC, so I don't have much past one set of ACU's that I wore for my pinning ceremony.

I think you can drive your car to TX. I don't know the specifics. Check the manual on MODS. As for what happens on your ADT, my understanding is that during years 3 and 4, you're on audition rotations at hospitals. You will be staying in visiting officers quarters, which to my understanding, are much like a motel room. I don't think you have any restrictions on your free time, though I don't know if you have much of that either.

Thanks DocArmy!!!! I will see a movie just for that experience,

I was wondering if I would be allowed to store my car at an army base for the summer if I am accepted to OBLC?

I just got accepted to med school and my HPSP application will soon be moving to a commitee according to my Srgt. He did warn me that the number of 4 year scholarships was getting very low and that I may end up with a 3 year scholarship instead. I never really thought about the 3 year option, so I was hoping someone could answer me how it effects med school payment (does this mean I am using loans for year 1) and also how does it effect service commitment (3 year active 4 year IRR or vice-verse). Thanks for the help.

I just got accepted to med school and my HPSP application will soon be moving to a commitee according to my Srgt. He did warn me that the number of 4 year scholarships was getting very low and that I may end up with a 3 year scholarship instead. I never really thought about the 3 year option, so I was hoping someone could answer me how it effects med school payment (does this mean I am using loans for year 1) and also how does it effect service commitment (3 year active 4 year IRR or vice-verse). Thanks for the help.

That happened to me this past year. I was awarded a 3.5 year scholarship. Also to start if you accepted the $20K bonus you will still owe at least 4 years. If you get a 3 or 3.5 year scholarship then you will have to finance your first semester probably via loans. This sucked alot for me cause I had to buy ALL of my books that i will be using for the next TWO years (~$1600), AND all of my diagnostic equipment (~$500-850)...none of which is going to be reimbursed. Also, word of advise be tight with your money if you take out loans for a semester if you get a 3.5 yr. Lucky for me I was and have about $2000 left over...because I started classes for second semester on Jan 4th (which is when I should have started to receive my stipend)...I got my first stipend check on friday (Feb 26th). I had to use the extra 2grand to pay for rent and food (sandwiches and cereal).

Of course all of this is Army...if ur another branch then it is probably different. I know Army gives 3.5 years but I dont now about other branches.

Good Luck!

Question

with regards to books and equipment if awarded the HPSP. what exactly do you get that they reimburse you for? limited to just the stuff thats on the books and equipment list from the school. also, you can just buy it all new at the bookstore, right? i hated in undergrad having to search the cobwebs of the interwebz for a good deal on used and sometimes new books. and that was just for a handful of undergrad classes....doing the same for new books for 1st year of med school would suck.

Just wanted to say that I recently got commissioned for a 4 year scholarship mid March, so there still is hope and scholarships for those out there!:)

Roger that. Thanks everybody for the input. I just called another recruiter out of state and he said that there were ~200 slots open :laugh: He also said he would take me to the local Army Hospital to meet some of the docs and give me the no s*&$ rundown on residency match stats etc. At this point, I am down to comparing Army vs. Navy.

Navy always beats Army (especially in football):laugh:

:thumbup:
I only make choices in life that I am proud of. I am excited and I want to share it with other people hoping they will at least be happy for me, and realize we all do not take the scholarship just for the money. I have to start looking for a Army Avatar now.

Oh and I get the joke now!!! LOL
GO ARMY!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats, I was the same way when I got my scholarship, sounds like you are joining for the right reasons:thumbup:

I am going to OBLC this summer, and I am buying my first uniform the end of this month. My family and friends are coming around slowly and accept my choice. I only have 1 person that was 100 percent behind me. Life is good!

Question

with regards to books and equipment if awarded the HPSP. what exactly do you get that they reimburse you for? limited to just the stuff thats on the books and equipment list from the school. also, you can just buy it all new at the bookstore, right? i hated in undergrad having to search the cobwebs of the interwebz for a good deal on used and sometimes new books. and that was just for a handful of undergrad classes....doing the same for new books for 1st year of med school would suck.

They will cover almost all books. Not ones that don't seem like they're curriculum. (They wouldn't pay for my USMLE histo book, even though it was required for the course and was the only histo book we were using)

Apparently, you are supposed to get the cheapest option available, but I got reimbursed just fine for new books. You will have to get the cheapest equipment or lose money. There are limits on those things.

They will cover almost all books. Not ones that don't seem like they're curriculum. (They wouldn't pay for my USMLE histo book, even though it was required for the course and was the only histo book we were using)

Apparently, you are supposed to get the cheapest option available, but I got reimbursed just fine for new books. You will have to get the cheapest equipment or lose money. There are limits on those things.
I do understand there are limits and I am not thinking its all just a big blank check. So how is the "cheapest" equipment working out. I mean, I was looking forward to getting at least nicer equipment. With that in mind, do they pay the difference on nicer equipment (assuming there is just a set number of dollars you're allowed and everything over that is your responsibility) so that I could buy nicer equipment and then just pay the extra for what I go over on my limit?
I'm obviously not a med student yet and know nothing about equipment....does the baseline equipment get the job done? After all I will only be a med student and don't need expensive things just yet.

I do understand there are limits and I am not thinking its all just a big blank check. So how is the "cheapest" equipment working out. I mean, I was looking forward to getting at least nicer equipment. With that in mind, do they pay the difference on nicer equipment (assuming there is just a set number of dollars you're allowed and everything over that is your responsibility) so that I could buy nicer equipment and then just pay the extra for what I go over on my limit?
I'm obviously not a med student yet and know nothing about equipment....does the baseline equipment get the job done? After all I will only be a med student and don't need expensive things just yet.

They'll reimburse you up to like $350 for an Otoscope. The nice one was like$450 or something. I ended up dropping about $300 on equipment over the limit and just ate that. Though, for as much as they've been used, I would suggest not going crazy on the equipment. It just sits in your locker 90% of the time anyway.

Yeah, (sorry, just finished reading your question) the reimburesment amount is set at a certain level. They will only reimburse you to the limit. You pay the rest.

I am going to OBLC this summer, and I am buying my first uniform the end of this month. My family and friends are coming around slowly and accept my choice. I only have 1 person that was 100 percent behind me. Life is good!

Glad they're coming around. You should get your parents one of these when you buy your uniforms. They sell them at the clothing sales.

Hang in there. The fun is just beginning.

I have a question that I only feel comfortable asking here, so I do not get the stupid look. Yes I know some will type it, but it is different in person when someone knows you.

Since I am an officer, but I am a going to be a Doctor who will I be commanding in the future? I know I will not be skilled in the art of physical combat so it can not lead a unit, but I also know that I will not be in a unit with all doctors either. I tried to research the answer but I am not sure how to.

Thanks

Last edited:
I will get one for my BF since his daughter and I are in the military, but my mother is a JW, and when I said she is coming around I meant to the point that she understands I can not tell Uncle Sam " I have a note from my mommy, and she wants me out of my contract." As for everyone else their idea of coming around is by not telling me how stupid I am. Who cares I am still 2LT.

Glad they're coming around. You should get your parents one of these when you buy your uniforms. They sell them at the clothing sales.

Hang in there. The fun is just beginning.

OK. Yes, You can drive your car to OBLC if you live w/i 350 miles of the base (San Antonio). That is an official Army policy for safety. The Army will buy you an airplane ticket if you live further than 350 miles. If you don't care about the money and/or you could carpool with someone else, then my advice is drive! You're going to LOVE having the car on a HUGE base like Ft.Sam! You have to register the car etc but it's worth the headache!

Try to get your ID BEFORE you go to Ft.Sam. They'll have a way for you to get them there but if you get it in advance then you save yourself time in line... Ok. There are two IDs. A green reserve card and a white CAC card... Technically, HPSPers aren't eligible for white CAC cards until they graduate... That being said, have your recruiter take you to the card office and "recommend" that you get the real CAC card. It makes a difference as far as military discounts go and it just looks better. Plus I'd say 50% of HPSPers have pretty white CAC cards by the end of OBLC due to the lax-ness of the office at Ft.Sam. Again, do this BEFORE OBLC!

Book reimbursement is easy! I always buy brand new books and I always get reimbursed ASAP. The only rule is that you don't spend more than $4000 in 4yrs or you're gonna get audited! The book people are REAL COOL. They've only called me one time to check up on a book order... I paid for a bunch of step one study book and the Step 1 fee in one semester and they thought it was a bit much. I explained that they were required by my school and got the Financial Aid office to sign off on it and it was good to go.

Buying uniforms suck. It's the price of being an officer. Luckily there's a military credit card called Military Star and just put everything on that. You're going to need A LOT of stuff for OBLC and then you wont need it again for 2 years... That sucks. But it's SO MUCH FUN wearing the uniform!

OBLC was the best time of my life! You're gonna have a ball! I think there is a good shopping list for OBLC? I'll try to find it.

pre-OBLC advice=RUN! Make sure you can pass the PT test BEFORE you get there. it just saves you headache... It doesn't matter if you fail height/weight and/or the PT test. You WILL NOT get flagged for it at OBLC. However, if you can't pass during clerkships, you won't be able to get a residency... Also, learn the ranks before you go down... I got really nerdy and made flashcards for all the branches. Know what to call them and when to salute etc. Since Ft.Sam is part of BRC you need to know ALL the services ranks! Everyone is in the hospital together...

All and all, its just a damn good time!
Best!

Book reimbursement is easy! I always buy brand new books and I always get reimbursed ASAP. The only rule is that you don't spend more than $4000 in 4yrs or you're gonna get audited! !

4000 in 4 yrs?? If I buy the required books for 1st year students at my school all new my bill is gonna be upwards of 3000, probably more (the school puts books and equipment for first year at 6000-ish) for 2nd, 3rd, and 4th year I cant image it will all come in under 4000. That seems like not much for 4 years

I'm not sure what med school you're going to but books and equipment for the first two years shouldn't cost you more than $2000. That includes white coats, brand new books for all classes and medical equipment. Let's say that your equipment (full doc bag and two white coats) is expensive and costs $1000. Even if every major textbook was $100 you'd still have ten textbooks. In reality, they are much less than that. Robbins, Goljan, maybe the Junquiera histo, wheaters histo if you want to master the subject, a neuroanatomy book, netters anatomy... biochem book, and costanzo physio. Other than that. I can't imagine what you've calculated to cost $6000?

Are you including a computer?

A brand new microscope? (Army will help you RENT them but not buy) Trust me, you won't use it anyhow, use digital histo.

ummm. if you tell me what you're trying to buy then I could help you out.

I began my HSPS app back in November. I CHOSE not to attend MEPS until around early Feb. I was disqualified because I told them about an inhaler I had in high school (NEVER TELL THEM ANYTHING ABOUT ASTHMA). I ended up having to go get a PFT over spring break and just got my medical waiver for a 4 yr. scholarship! :D

I will get one for my BF since his daughter and I are in the military, but my mother is a JW, and when I said she is coming around I meant to the point that she understands I can not tell Uncle Sam " I have a note from my mommy, and she wants me out of my contract." As for everyone else their idea of coming around is by not telling me how stupid I am. Who cares I am still 2LT.

Wow. Hadn't considered the JW angle. Ok, boyfriend it is then. That's a tough row to hoe, and I salute you for it. As for everybody else, opinions are like hinders. Everyone has one, but only a few are worth giving a second look.:D

As for your future command, I will try to explain to the best of my knowledge. As an O3, you will probably outrank your surg techs, nurses, lab techs and other support staff. You may be working with other O3 doctors, or they may outrank you. You will also have a chain of command overseeing you, which may consist of people in the Medical Corps (doctors), Nursing Corps or Medical Services Corps (lab tech, etc). Mostly, this will just facilitate the day to day doctor stuff, and I don't see how the nuts and bolts would be any different than a normal hospital. Support staff will still defer to you as the doctor for medical judgement, etc.

Now, as far as downrange, lets say you are a Battalion surgeon attached to an infantry unit. As you're not a combat arms officer, no-one will expect you to take charge of a platoon and start kicking down doors. Under those circumstances, it would seem to me that you would maintain command of the medical services, or default to 11B (infantryman, if your position is overrun, all bets are off and you pick of a rifle), while the senior officer/enlisted present with the appropriate MOS will be in charge based on their MOS circumventing your rank. Make any sense?

The 11B Staff Sgt or 1st Lt would be in charge over you, combat wise, because they would have operational control. Just like if you were performing an operation as a surgeon, a higher ranking nurse couldn't come in and order you to alter your surgical procedure, because you have operational control based on your MOS.

So, until you are an O4, I don't really think that you "command" anyone, functionally. Once you're a Major, then you'd be in command of your medical group.

I may be wrong on this, so if anyone is more enlightened than I, please share.

Thank you this helped alot!!!!!!!!

Wow. Hadn't considered the JW angle. Ok, boyfriend it is then. That's a tough row to hoe, and I salute you for it. As for everybody else, opinions are like hinders. Everyone has one, but only a few are worth giving a second look.:D

As for your future command, I will try to explain to the best of my knowledge. As an O3, you will probably outrank your surg techs, nurses, lab techs and other support staff. You may be working with other O3 doctors, or they may outrank you. You will also have a chain of command overseeing you, which may consist of people in the Medical Corps (doctors), Nursing Corps or Medical Services Corps (lab tech, etc). Mostly, this will just facilitate the day to day doctor stuff, and I don't see how the nuts and bolts would be any different than a normal hospital. Support staff will still defer to you as the doctor for medical judgement, etc.

Now, as far as downrange, lets say you are a Battalion surgeon attached to an infantry unit. As you're not a combat arms officer, no-one will expect you to take charge of a platoon and start kicking down doors. Under those circumstances, it would seem to me that you would maintain command of the medical services, or default to 11B (infantryman, if your position is overrun, all bets are off and you pick of a rifle), while the senior officer/enlisted present with the appropriate MOS will be in charge based on their MOS circumventing your rank. Make any sense?

The 11B Staff Sgt or 1st Lt would be in charge over you, combat wise, because they would have operational control. Just like if you were performing an operation as a surgeon, a higher ranking nurse couldn't come in and order you to alter your surgical procedure, because you have operational control based on your MOS.

So, until you are an O4, I don't really think that you "command" anyone, functionally. Once you're a Major, then you'd be in command of your medical group.

I may be wrong on this, so if anyone is more enlightened than I, please share.

deleted this post.

thanks

Last edited:
thanks for all information....Are you allowed to buy used books? I tend to prefer them because they are cheaper.....

OBLC suggests bring a laptop.... I do not have one since mines crashed about 6 months ago, and I did not want to buy one because I knew that I would have to get a new one for medical school. Just as I predicted my school is including ours with the equipment, so the army is covering it...is this going to be a probelm at OBLC? I am doing my online courses now at work so I will be finished already.

I'm not sure what med school you're going to but books and equipment for the first two years shouldn't cost you more than $2000. That includes white coats, brand new books for all classes and medical equipment. Let's say that your equipment (full doc bag and two white coats) is expensive and costs $1000. Even if every major textbook was $100 you'd still have ten textbooks. In reality, they are much less than that. Robbins, Goljan, maybe the Junquiera histo, wheaters histo if you want to master the subject, a neuroanatomy book, netters anatomy... biochem book, and costanzo physio. Other than that. I can't imagine what you've calculated to cost $6000?

Are you including a computer?

A brand new microscope? (Army will help you RENT them but not buy) Trust me, you won't use it anyhow, use digital histo.

ummm. if you tell me what you're trying to buy then I could help you out.

Last edited:
thanks for all information....Are you allowed to buy used books? I tend to prefer them because they are cheaper.....

OBLC suggests bring a laptop.... I do not have one since mines cracsed about 6 months ago, and I did not want to but one because I knew that I would have to get a new one for medical school. just as I predicted my school is including ours withe the equipment so the army is covering it...is this going to be a probelm at OBLC? I am doing my online courses now at work so I will be finished already.

I'm pretty sure that the Army isn't covering laptops. From what I've heard from my recruiter is that even if its part of the equipment it is not covered. I'll double check though.

Saw this on a facebook post from a couple days ago from a student at TCOM on HPSP, even though the laptop is listed as equipment and required as part of the tuition:

"You will have to pay for your laptop. It may be worth it pulling a stafford/perkins loan for your first semester. You will have to cover expenses like books, laptop, moving, etc, and you won't get reimbursed for ~4-6 weeks on the reimbursable items. Laptop was about $2k. Your statement to the military is itemized and they won't cover it."

I'm pretty sure that the Army isn't covering laptops. From what I've heard from my recruiter is that even if its part of the equipment it is not covered. I'll double check though.

Saw this on a facebook post from a couple days ago from a student at TCOM on HPSP, even though the laptop is listed as equipment and required as part of the tuition:

"You will have to pay for your laptop. It may be worth it pulling a stafford/perkins loan for your first semester. You will have to cover expenses like books, laptop, moving, etc, and you won't get reimbursed for ~4-6 weeks on the reimbursable items.Laptop was about $2k. Your statement to the military is itemized and they won't cover it."

What I dont get is that they will pay for you to LEASE a computer for 4 yrs but they wont buy you one...in my opinion I think this is a little counter-intuitive but what can you do...nothin haha

"You will have to pay for your laptop. It may be worth it pulling a stafford/perkins loan for your first semester. You will have to cover expenses like books, laptop, moving, etc, and you won't get reimbursed for ~4-6 weeks on the reimbursable items.Laptop was about $2k. Your statement to the military is itemized and they won't cover it."

A laptop is specifically mentioned as not covered in the hpsp handbook. If you can get on MODS, then you can read the chapter about reimbursement. I think they will cover up to a certain amount to lease a computer from the school, but you can't end up owning the computer at the end, or something. Your school may require one, and it may be listed in the required equipment, but the Army will get billed with an invoice and a purchase order, and they will not be paying for a laptop. Whatever your school charges for the laptop will be billed to your student account, not the Army/AF/Navy. That's why pulling a small loan your first semester is a good idea. Get your foot in the door, get your laptop and other misc. paid for and then wait for reimbursements.

Faith, you can buy old or new books. I have been reimbursed fully for all but one of the books I bought, and I got them all new. The one that they wouldn't was a USMLE review book that was required. I would suggest signing up for free trial of Amazon Prime (it gives you three months to resign before you get charged), then you can order every book on your school's list and get it 2 day shipping. You can always buy new and sell them when you're done, and make a little money, or keep them. Either way, I don't see why you'd buy used if you get reimbursed for new.

A laptop is specifically mentioned as not covered in the hpsp handbook. If you can get on MODS, then you can read the chapter about reimbursement. I think they will cover up to a certain amount to lease a computer from the school, but you can't end up owning the computer at the end, or something. Your school may require one, and it may be listed in the required equipment, but the Army will get billed with an invoice and a purchase order, and they will not be paying for a laptop. Whatever your school charges for the laptop will be billed to your student account, not the Army/AF/Navy. That's why pulling a small loan your first semester is a good idea. Get your foot in the door, get your laptop and other misc. paid for and then wait for reimbursements.
oh snap. where i'm going to school it is "included" when you pay tuition and they will be giving us laptops on the first or second day of school during orientation. guess that means I gotta buy my own....bummer