Army HPSP full?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
S

Segovia

I was wondering if anyone is having issues applying for HPSP. I called my local Army Health Recruiter today, and she notified me that Army HPSP has already met their quota and that I will not be eligible to apply until October 2010. Kind of bummed about this since I was accepted to med school for 2010, and thought I would at least be able to apply to in the Army. I didn't realize HPSP was so competitive and was wondering how others are getting into the program.

Members don't see this ad.

i don't know if it's a question of being "full", but rather the deadline for applying this year may have passed.

Members don't see this ad :)
i don't know if it's a question of being "full", but rather the deadline for applying this year may have passed.
Negative. When I began my HPSP app, back in August of 2008 (for starting school in July of 2009) I was asked by my recruiter if I needed the paperwork through for THIS year or for next. They were ready to fast track everything to try to get it done before school started, presumably a month later.

So, it makes me think that, if they said that they had reached their quota, that might be the end of the deal for now. I would NOT, however, wait to start your HPSP app until October. I assume that October would be the first board date that you could apply to. That means that you can get your security application filled out, MEPS physical done, and all of the preliminary paperwork so that you are ready to submit your stuff to the October board.

I would try calling a different HPSP recruiter in a different region, just to make sure that yours isn't just lazy. I say this only because the first AMED recruiter I talked to was worthless. He had no interest in helping me do anything. Second go 'round was MUCH better.

Roger that. Thanks everybody for the input. I just called another recruiter out of state and he said that there were ~200 slots open :laugh: He also said he would take me to the local Army Hospital to meet some of the docs and give me the no s*&$ rundown on residency match stats etc. At this point, I am down to comparing Army vs. Navy.

Roger that. Thanks everybody for the input. I just called another recruiter out of state and he said that there were ~200 slots open :laugh: He also said he would take me to the local Army Hospital to meet some of the docs and give me the no s*&$ rundown on residency match stats etc. At this point, I am down to comparing Army vs. Navy.

Alright!:thumbup:

I'm in the process of applying right now and my recruiter hasn't said anything about slots being full or almost full so I would guess that they aren't. I hope not anyways....

Glad you found a non-ROAD recruiter. Good luck.

(ROAD-Retired On Active Duty)

I was wondering if anyone is having issues applying for HPSP. I called my local Army Health Recruiter today, and she notified me that Army HPSP has already met their quota and that I will not be eligible to apply until October 2010. Kind of bummed about this since I was accepted to med school for 2010, and thought I would at least be able to apply to in the Army. I didn't realize HPSP was so competitive and was wondering how others are getting into the program.

Army HPSP recruiter fail

I find this highly unlikely...Army HPSP for this year didnt meet their quota until June this past summer.

Also I have a friend going through the process right now and she is going before the board in January...so I would contact someone else about recruiting

I won't be going before the board until July (have to wait for May MCAT scores), but my Army recruiter doubts that it'll be full even that late.

Segovia, which hospital did you visit? I've been shadowing at Walter Reed in the DC area and love it there.

How is everybody else deciding between Army and Navy?

Members don't see this ad :)
So there is no way the HPSP is full already. The first board was Dec 1st-3rd and I think there were only around 20-something people selected.

I know this because I saw the sheet with the people who got boarded (& I also passed the board!).

Board Selected Army HPSP here, I don't know if my recruiter is being less than truthful, but he was saying that they are pretty much full up and that they are administratively dropping people that don't have everything in. The year starts in October though, so if you do get accepted, the amount of paperwork and medical appointments (they send you to the absolute strangest places) that you have to go through takes a couple of months (I think I started this summer and finished a month or so ago) so contacting him for next year isn't the worst option

Board Selected Army HPSP here, I don't know if my recruiter is being less than truthful, but he was saying that they are pretty much full up and that they are administratively dropping people that don't have everything in. The year starts in October though, so if you do get accepted, the amount of paperwork and medical appointments (they send you to the absolute strangest places) that you have to go through takes a couple of months (I think I started this summer and finished a month or so ago) so contacting him for next year isn't the worst option

It is conceivable, given the state of the global economic catastrof***. I have classmates who were denied for the 3 year scholarship because it was full. So, apply early, I guess.

My app is going to the board in January and my recruiter told me that they aren't full yet....so find a new recruiter. The economy has increased the number of applicants i'm sure so dont drag your feet getting it done.

How did everyone enjoy MEPS??? it wasnt as bad as i thought it was gonna be.....just took FOREVER!!!!

So I think I heard from my recruiter the 2-3 year Army HPSP scholarships might be full, but the 4 years ones are still open.

How did everyone enjoy MEPS??? it wasnt as bad as i thought it was gonna be.....just took FOREVER!!!!

MEPS wasn't nearly as bad as I expected, though there were some parts that I'd like to forget haha....

Board Selected Army HPSP here,
Congrats on being board selected for ARMY HPSP! Are you going to OBLC this summer?

the amount of paperwork and medical appointments (they send you to the absolute strangest places) that you have to go through takes a couple of months (I think I started this summer and finished a month or so ago) so contacting him for next year isn't the worst option
Process from start to end took me one month...probably could have finished sooner. It all really depends on how quickly you can get that application out. There was only one medical appt. which is MEPS which takes one full day (unless you need to get extra consults done).

Last edited:
Dunno about OBLC, they either said this summer or next (even though I'm not starting med school until the fall). You were lucky to get it done in 1 month, they sent me to bumble**** PA that only had random appointment times available so it took a while to get everything done, mind you I'm also applying to USUHS so I thought that the exam for that would count (NO). The only things required not on that physical are the vibrant red/green test and the "Reading aloud" test, which is the silliest thing I've ever seen. You've taken the MCAT, have a fairly good GPA, but can't read aloud well?

I just found out I got the scholarship!!!!!This is one of the happiest days of my life!!!!I am going to be a MD and be in the military!!!! I don't really have anyone to celebrate with so I am shouting it out here. I love this country!!!I will be in the United States Army the biggest gang in the world.

I just found out I got the scholarship!!!!!This is one of the happiest days of my life!!!!I am going to be a MD and be in the military!!!! I don't really have anyone to celebrate with so I am shouting it out here. I love this country!!!I will be in the United States Army the biggest gang in the world.

when did your board meet, if you don't mind my asking?

december board for me - found out today as well

Man, I must have lucked out with my recruiter. My board met on Dec 1st-3rd and I found out I got accepted Dec. 7th. Congrats to those recently accepted!

Man, I must have lucked out with my recruiter. My board met on Dec 1st-3rd and I found out I got accepted Dec. 7th. Congrats to those recently accepted!

definitely congrats!! I guess my board met on the 6th...still waiting. its the final step in my med. school application process....

definitely congrats!! I guess my board met on the 6th...still waiting. its the final step in my med. school application process....

I'm sure you'll get accepted, the wait is always a bit annoying. You're going to Nova right? It's nice to see someone else in the Army HPSP boat there.

I went before the board in Dec, but due to a very low GPA it was kicked back for a special permission form.

I am signing my contract Friday...is anyone doing the summer program this year if so where can I get information on it. I will meet with my recruiter on Friday but I just wanted a heads up please.

Thanks...

What do these initials stand for please, so that I may look them up?
OIS
COT
ADT

thanks

RE: "What do these initials stand for please, so that I may look them up? OIS / COT / ADT"

OIS = Officer Indoctrination School if you're in the Navy. It doesn't ring a bell for anything in the Army that's medical or associated with personnel actions that an HPSP officer might be involved in, sorry.

COT - Army = Continuation of Tour, as in: you've been assigned to Germany for a three year tour of duty, and now you expect to receive orders to return to the Continental United States (CONUS) on your Date of Eligibility for Return from Overseas (DEROS), but you really love partying in Stuttgart during Oktoberfest and want to stay, so you ask for and get a COT.

ADT - Army = Active Duty for Training. This is one form of active duty that can be served by personnel in the Army Reserve or National Guard. This is what the 45 days in the summer (school schedule allowing) for HPSP is. WHile on ADT, HPSP participants receive full pay and allowances commensurate with rank and length of sevrice (for HPSP contracts = O-1 with 0, or Second Lieutenant with no time in service).

RE: "What do these initials stand for please, so that I may look them up? OIS / COT / ADT"

OIS = Officer Indoctrination School if you're in the Navy. It doesn't ring a bell for anything in the Army that's medical or associated with personnel actions that an HPSP officer might be involved in, sorry.

COT - Army = Continuation of Tour, as in: you've been assigned to Germany for a three year tour of duty, and now you expect to receive orders to return to the Continental United States (CONUS) on your Date of Eligibility for Return from Overseas (DEROS), but you really love partying in Stuttgart during Oktoberfest and want to stay, so you ask for and get a COT.

ADT - Army = Active Duty for Training. This is one form of active duty that can be served by personnel in the Army Reserve or National Guard. This is what the 45 days in the summer (school schedule allowing) for HPSP is. WHile on ADT, HPSP participants receive full pay and allowances commensurate with rank and length of sevrice (for HPSP contracts = O-1 with 0, or Second Lieutenant with no time in service).

Colonel, close but not quite.

OIS is the old name for ODS.

COT, in the context of HPSP, is the AF Commissioned Officer Training.

ADT is indeed active duty for training. However, it need not be performed in the summer.

v/r,
lowly field grade physician

Found out today that I've been placed on the OML (board reviewed my app on Jan 6) I'm a 2nd year med student applying for a 2 year scholarship. According to my recruiter, this is uncharacteristic, the Army doesn't usually meet their quota until the Summer (if that). She showed me the list of closed scholarships for medicine, dentistry, nursing, etc. Medical is OML for 2, 3, and 4 year HPSP scholarships, and a number of the other fields were closed all together. Looks like the recruiters get the next 10 months off...

So apparently I have to cross my fingers and hope that either someone gives away their spot or HPSP picks up more funding. Otherwise apparently I have to refill and resubmit the application again on October 1, 2010, which is unfortunate, because I was really counting on the Army to pay for Step 1 of boards this summer. Really wish I had figured out I wanted to serve before last fall. Just want to be a part of the club. :shrug:

OML is "Order of Merit List" i believe... basically its a list of selected applicants who were selected after the quota was met and funds exhausted. i've been selected, but no money left to fund.

Medical is OML for 2, 3, and 4 year HPSP scholarships, and a number of the other fields were closed all together.

I don't think its OML for the 4 year scholarships because when I spoke to my recruiter today he said that now is the time when the applications for the 4 year HPSPs (after most people have heard decisions from medical schools) come in and spots begin filling up.

Last edited:
I agree I do not think the 4 year is full people are still finding out about there official acceptances.

accepted 2014 UCF
OMG I am joining the army:love::love::love: Less than 24 hours it will be official!! The funny part is I have been wearing my army baseball cap at the gym since my recruiter gave it to me so I already need a new one. LOL

Colonel, close but not quite.

OIS is the old name for ODS.

COT, in the context of HPSP, is the AF Commissioned Officer Training.

-- You are correct - COT is also Air Force Commissioned Officer Training - more germane to HPSP. Usually 30 days at Maxwell AFB in Montgomery AL. The curriculum teaches leadership, about the Air Force, and military rules and expectations. Usually USAF HPSP students attend as one of their ADT's (and serve out the remaining 15 days at home).

I agree I do not think the 4 year is full people are still finding out about there official acceptances.

accepted 2014 UCF
OMG I am joining the army:love::love::love: Less than 24 hours it will be official!! The funny part is I have been wearing my army baseball cap at the gym since my recruiter gave it to me so I already need a new one. LOL

its nice to see some enthusiasm! keep it up!

accepted 2014 UCF

im just pulling your chain.....

Last edited:
What is H+P and AHLTA mean? It seems as though there are alot of abbreviations that I need to learn. LOL:laugh::laugh:

I wonder if your H+P's and AHLTA will allow for smiley heart emoticons.
"Patient presents with severe productive cough :thumbdown:, 50 pack/yr smoker :eek:"

im just pulling your chain.....

AHLTA is the medical coding system/interface the military uses. I have no clue what it stands for but google tells me its " Armed Forces Health Longitudinal Technology Application". H+P is history and physical....like when you get a patients history and give them a physical exam. Don't sweat it, I was just trying to be a pain in the butt because your excitement is scary!

I only make choices in life that I am proud of. I am excited and I want to share it with other people hoping they will at least be happy for me, and realize we all do not take the scholarship just for the money. I have to start looking for a Army Avatar now.

Oh and I get the joke now!!! LOL
GO ARMY!!!!!!!!!!

AHLTA is the medical coding system/interface the military uses. I have no clue what it stands for but google tells me its " Armed Forces Health Longitudinal Technology Application". H+P is history and physical....like when you get a patients history and give them a physical exam. Don't sweat it, I was just trying to be a pain in the butt because your excitement is scary!

I thought AHLTA stood for Aw Heck Let's Try Again.

I think this has been stated before, but originally it was ALTA to go with the VA program VISTA. There were trademark issues (go figure) and the H was added. The acronym was invented after the name, which is why it makes no sense.

FYI...my recruiter said the 4 years are going fast this year due to an increase in applicants, so if you are doing it hurry up with your paperwork. There are only 4 year scholarships left. Good Luck Everyone....:xf::xf:

GO ARMY!!!!!!!!
ACCEPTED 2014 UCF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How do I know if I was selected for the HPSP scholarship in the Jan, 6 boards? Is there a web service where I can check my status?

Thanks

How do I know if I was selected for the HPSP scholarship in the Jan, 6 boards? Is there a web service where I can check my status?

Thanks

my recruiter said there were too many people on the Jan 6th board, so half the group got bumped to the next board review (i was in that group)...i dunno if it was the same across the board. call your recruiter and find out.

my recruiter said there were too many people on the Jan 6th board, so half the group got bumped to the next board review (i was in that group)...i dunno if it was the same across the board. call your recruiter and find out.

Will do. Thank you.

It is official I am in the Army. This may seem like a stupid question, but I did not want to ask my recruiter. I know I came in as a Lieutenant, but am I only a Lieutenant during the summer in ADT training?

I spoke to my recruiter today and she said that I was board selected pending
"scroll". Anyone have any idea what that means?

Thanks