army match for hpsp

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kendall

as usual
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
a few quick questions:
does anyone have any idea as to what percentage of hpsp'ers get their first choice of residency? 2nd choice?
also, about how many army hpsp scholarships are given out each year?
does pretty much everyone that applies get in?
what is the army's stance on lasik and prk surgery?

k

Members don't see this ad.

kendall said:
a few quick questions:
does anyone have any idea as to what percentage of hpsp'ers get their first choice of residency? 2nd choice?

Most get their first or second choice. However, it's highly variable depending on the field (just like the civilian match).

kendall said:
also, about how many army hpsp scholarships are given out each year?
does pretty much everyone that applies get in?

last I checked, there were slightly more hpsp'ers then fygme positions. So not everyone will get a military residency.

thanks sledge.

what i meant is: how many hpsp students are there each year? like are there 200 or more matriculating medical students that accepted an army hpsp scholarship this year? does pretty much every medical student that applies for the hpsp scholarship get it?

k

Members don't see this ad :)
When I was at OBC, there were about 270 medical students. This counted about 25 USUHS people, so they are really in the class below you. There are of course USUHS people that went the year before you, so it probably evens out if their acceptance rate is the same each year. So probably around 260-270 total army medical students graduating each year, 25-30 of which are required to do a military residency.

I know for sure that there can be certain physical qualifications that might limit you. I have one eye that is -10.5 diopter, which is worse than the cutoff (-9.0 diopter each eye for glasses). I had to apply for a waiver. I initially applied for Navy HPSP and was not granted the waiver (despite a full recommendation from a Navy Opthalmologist that my recruiter took me to). I'm working with an Army recruiter now (and he claims that the Army is more forgiving about eye problems if you're healthy otherwise) and I'm hoping this works out.

I just spoke to the ER residency director at Madigan. He said that since there has been such a drop off in the number of HPSP applicants there is a smaller pool to compete with. He said that compared to a few years ago it was "easier" to get what you wanted. The more competitive residencies (i.e. Rads or Derm) only have a 2 to 1 applicants to slot ratio now as oppsed to a 4 to 1 a few years ago and the less competative residencies are more like 1.3 to 1. He also said that there are MORE GME slots pverall than there are applicants. Hope this helps.

Thousandth said:
I just spoke to the ER residency director at Madigan. He said that since there has been such a drop off in the number of HPSP applicants there is a smaller pool to compete with. He said that compared to a few years ago it was "easier" to get what you wanted. The more competitive residencies (i.e. Rads or Derm) only have a 2 to 1 applicants to slot ratio now as oppsed to a 4 to 1 a few years ago and the less competative residencies are more like 1.3 to 1. He also said that there are MORE GME slots pverall than there are applicants. Hope this helps.

If you want to get the real lowdown on just how many applicants per residency slot they have in any particular field, just call 1-877-med-army.