Army National Guard's new Med student program details.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
(If I seem to be getting this correctly, you get ALL the benefits of being in the NG, but the added bonus that you are safe from being deployed while you are in medical school and in residency; correct me if I am wrong).
You will not be deployed while in medical school or internship. You probably won't be deployed in residency.

When would you guys suggest I begin the application process?
Planning on applying a year from when you want to start the program wouldn't be a bad idea. Some folks get through in a few months. Some have taken over a year. It seems the average is about 6 months, give or take a couple months. Paperwork errors have pushed people's app back and they've had to start the program three months later than they'd like because of it.
If I can do that, maybe it'll possible to take the OBC in the summer between my last undergraduate year and M1? (that would save me a lot of hassle and would also allow me to get O-2 pay during the ADSW period)
I have a hunch the OBLC dates for summer fill quickest, so I'd contact a recruiter to see about how early you need to be in the pipe for them to get the date you want. You will get O-2 pay 18 months after you start the program, assuming you've also finished OBLC.
Also, what are the requirements for the Federial Tuition Assistance? Do I also need to be prior service? Is that the same for GI Bill and also State Tuition Assistance? And do any of these Tuition services incur more obligation?
Federal tuition assistance is for anyone in the Guard. You'll be eligible for $4,500/year, funds permitting. You don't acquire any additional obligation. Different states have different educational benefits too. It varies from nothing to tuition free for public school.

Good luck...

Members don't see this ad.

Planning on applying a year from when you want to start the program wouldn't be a bad idea. Some folks get through in a few months. Some have taken over a year. It seems the average is about 6 months, give or take a couple months. Paperwork errors have pushed people's app back and they've had to start the program three months later than they'd like because of it.
So that would be a year before I plan on matriculating into the medical school? Would they proceed with the process even if you don't have an official acceptance letter yet? For the program I am in, I am accepted into medical school: pending completion of undergrad. So... I'm not really sure if I'll officially get an acceptance letter until I finish undergrad. Will they accept a "letter of admission: pending completion of undergrad"? (isn't that the same as a regular admission letter anyway?)

I have a hunch the OBLC dates for summer fill quickest, so I'd contact a recruiter to see about how early you need to be in the pipe for them to get the date you want. You will get O-2 pay 18 months after you start the program, assuming you've also finished OBLC.
If people don't take them in the summer because they're always booked, when do they usually take it? Christmas break?

If people don't take them in the summer because they're always booked, when do they usually take it? Christmas break?

Wouldn't work unless you have one heck of a break. I'm taking off a junior rotation to do it. You can get in the summer class you may just have to register for the class sooner.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a question regarding the deployment. If you are deployed, will they utilize your skills as a medical professional or will you be just like any other soldier? Basically what I'm asking is if you go overseas, will you likely see combat? Or will you be in some sort of medical related post? Also, wouldn't you be an officer at the time so would you get some sort of officer related job? (from my understanding, officers don't see as much combat; correct me if I'm wrong)
What type of jobs will you typically be expected to perform on deployment?

Also, during drilling period, on the weekend trainings, what type of training do you do?

I also have a question regarding the application. Is it competitive and difficult to get in? I understand you have to take 3 boards, what are you expected to do in the boards and are they difficult?

Last edited:
You are expected to do what a doctor does, and in addition do some military bull**** that is not difficult, just time consuming. You do not have to lead troops into battle or do any other officer task. You can volunteer for leadership roles that would allow you to lead troops, and I have seen medical officers that did this, at least stateside.

Drills : you do various abovementioned bull**** for 2 days. You don't really 'train' per say on most drills. If you are very, very lucky you'll get a chance to do something that requires the most rudimentary of your skills as a doctor...such as physicals and annual medical screenings... Or, do a ruck march or practice setting up a medical aid station with your unit. But expect most drills to be a waste of your valuable time, so that you are not disappointed.

Others can answer your question about the application better, but here's what I can guess from prior military experience.

The application is likely an incredibly long waste of paper. You will have to fill out and sign many, many things. Currently, it is not competitive, as there are 200 spots nationwide and they did not fill last year. They are mostly asking about medical problems and criminal records. If you are healthy and have not been convicted of any crimes, then the process is a formality.

hm interesting. thanks for the quick response! is this from experience? or from what you've heard from other people?

anyone else have any insight on this?

hm interesting. thanks for the quick response! is this from experience? or from what you've heard from other people?

I think your drill experience will depend on the unit you drill with. In my state I drill with our medical detachment. Our mission is a readiness mission. We do several hundred physicals a weekend. I think some states outsource this or if there is an active duty base nearby the guard soldiers go there for their physicals.

EDIT: I think my unit doesn't do any field exercises and we don't do AT as a group but instead AT is done on a day by day basis to come in on certain days during the week to do physicals. When people need to get range time in they have to setup a time to go with a different unit.

hmm what do you mean by AT? so is it safe to say that we wouldn't be expected to do much combat (if any)?

also, any input on my previous question about the boards? what are you expected to do and how difficult are the 3 boards that a required for the program?

hmm what do you mean by AT? so is it safe to say that we wouldn't be expected to do much combat (if any)?

also, any input on my previous question about the boards? what are you expected to do and how difficult are the 3 boards that a required for the program?

AT = annual training, the two weeks a summer that the guard drills. Most units have AT 15 days long where they all get together and drill. I don't believe I'll ever be put in charge of a combat unit even if I wanted to. It just doesn't make sense because #1 I'm not trained for it, #2 as a member of the medical corps I'd be much more useful as a doc. From what I can tell the closest to combat the docs get is riding on an air ambulance. I'm new to this so I'm basing it on what I've manged to find out.

I believe the question on the difficulty of the boards has been answered on this thread not too long ago. You might look back if you want a better answer. The state board varies by state, ask your recruiter what it's like. The USAREC/AMEDD board you're not present for. They approve or deny your packet electronicly from Fort Knox.

It is exceedingly unlikely that you will be called upon to pick up a weapon and shoot at someone. Doctors are issued weapons, however. They are also very unlikely to take you along on a mission where combat is expected. However, you do have to travel in Iraq, which involves riding vehicles that are sometimes attacked. It is incredibly common for bases you might be set up in to be shelled or attacked by suicide bombers. It's statistically much safer than many of the military jobs, but several doctors have died in Iraq.

Alright, thanks for all the answers! I think I have a pretty good understanding of what I will be expected to do if I join. I understand that any military job entails some sort of physical danger, so I thank you guys for being honest and telling me straight up how it'll be. I really appreciate it.

Hopefully, given this program still exists, I'll be able to serve my country alongside you guys in 2 years.

God Bless America!

The main thing a physician would have to worry about in Iraq would be the occasional ride "out in town." IEDs are still a threat.

It is true that on a base, you're really not safe either, but I would wager that you have a higher chance of hurting yourself in everyday life in the states (car accident, etc) than getting shot or blown up in garrison in Iraq, unless you're in a "FOB" in an Iraqi city.

So that would be a year before I plan on matriculating into the medical school? Would they proceed with the process even if you don't have an official acceptance letter yet? For the program I am in, I am accepted into medical school: pending completion of undergrad. So... I'm not really sure if I'll officially get an acceptance letter until I finish undergrad. Will they accept a "letter of admission: pending completion of undergrad"? (isn't that the same as a regular admission letter anyway?)

I am going thorugh this right now. I had a conditional letter of acceptance contingent upon finishing BIO pre reqs (I had all the others, but am a non trad finishing). I finished my last BIO pre req in December, but AMEDD would not accept my contingency letter and a copy of my transcripts showing the fulfillment of the contoingency!

Even though, tis is reasonable, it is the military, so it needs to be by the letter. My recruiter stated it would get kicked back, so I mahd to do everything possible to get the admissions department to write a special letter, which they normally do not do..........It was a huge pain, but I just got it done this past Friday.

So, I am not saying to delay. You cqn get started on your app and get everything else done, but you will need an unconditional letter of acceptance.

Hope that helps....best of luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Amy said you brought her 4 cups of coffee. Nicely done.

Hi guys, I have another question...

I know we are not deployable abroad during medical school, but we are still 'deployed' during medical school for national emergencies... correct? (I don't know if the term 'deployed' only refers to being sent out of the country, or if it also includes being mobilized to a different location in the US.) For instance, on the front page of CNN.com today it talks about the National Guardsmen knocking on people's doors in Kentucky due to the ice storm and power outages, etc. I would assume that we would also be sent during med school to take care of these national emergencies. Can someone confirm this?

Also, are those in the national guard only sent to deal with emergencies in their home state or any state? For instance, let's say I am a med student in Arizona in the AZ army national guard.... would I be sent to assist with the disaster in Kentucky? Or would I only be sent to take care of disasters in Arizona? I am just wondering how this works....

The short answer is no, you are not.

The longer answer is that hopefully you will be assigned to a national guard unit that has physicians and is led by a commander who understands physicians. Thus, when a natural disaster mobilization comes up, you and the other med students are excused from going.

ROTC cadets have similar priviledges, so this is not a new thing for the military.

Of course, I was an ROTC cadet, and I did get mobilized for about a month during Hurricane Katrina, but I got sent home early.

Finally, a national guard unit can get sent to help other states (after Katrina ultimately every National Guard in the U.S. including Alaska sent people to help), but this is not the first response. Also, it costs money from a different budget to do this, so they try to avoid doing this as much as possible.

The longer answer is that hopefully you will be assigned to a national guard unit that has physicians and is led by a commander who understands physicians. Thus, when a natural disaster mobilization comes up, you and the other med students are excused from going.
Actually, under ASR (iatrosB or EMH, feel free to jump in), you are not assigned to a medical corps unit. You are assigned to AMEDD recruiting under medical services corps.

Also, you will be ADSW during medical school, which means that you technically are on assignment. I don't think you'll get pulled for any domestic missions during this time.

When you graduate medical school and are in residency, Habeed's advice kicks in. It's better to be assigned to a medical unit where the command structure has lots of physicians who will be sympathetic to the fact that your residency years are not your own. If you join a regular line unit, you may find less sympathy.

Our drills are very laid back. There are five med students in the state of Michigan and we typically assist the docs in doing physicals on soldiers or do the never ending paperwork that goes along with those physicals. Also our unit is very good about us requesting to be absent from drills for school. When we have an exam coming up we simply fill out a form and stay around school and study for our drill that weekend. Frankly, they need docs, any tech can do what we can so they want you to graduate and be successful so they can utilize you when you have a license.

When you graduate medical school and are in residency, Habeed's advice kicks in.

You're right. Actually, it kicks in when the ADSW component of ASR is over (after 3 years on ASR, usually fourth year)

But actually, drawing from my own limited pool of experiences, I recall that during that same deployment several of the officers who were PAs avoided going. They just faxed in a letter saying they were too busy treating sick people, basically, to obey the order to go to New Orleans.
While a lowly enlisted person like myself who also had a legitimate excuse not to go ended up getting sucked along.

With ASR, you'll be a first lieutenant, and will more likely than not get preferred treatment. The military will bend over backwards, by their standards, to let you do what you need to do.

You're right. Actually, it kicks in when the ADSW component of ASR is over (after 3 years on ASR, usually fourth year)
Good point about the switch being after ADSW is over. I'm only getting ASR for ms III/IV, so I forget that there's a three year limit to the thing.

I know this is a silly question considering i Just swore in two days ago, but does anybody know about the one time uniform allowance? I remember one of my recruiters mentioning something about it. Me and a buddy who's on hpsp were gonna go down to nellis to pick up ACUs but it be nice if i could get the army to pay for it.

That is money they pay you directly. It's a fixed sum, and you would get it even if you already had all your uniforms from prior service.

So, it gives you an incentive to shop carefully for your uniform stuff, as every dollar you save is one more in your pocket.

Earlier on this thread, it was stated that it can be a few months before they get around to paying it. If it has been say, 6 months, since you started and you have not received the money, then I would complain.

Last edited:
I am 43 and starting medical school in August at San Juan Bautista in PR. The ASR program sounds interesting. I have already spoken to the Army HPSP program and passed their physical. Is the ASR program open to people like me over 40 like the Army HPSP?

Many thanks!

Our drills are very laid back. There are five med students in the state of Michigan and we typically assist the docs in doing physicals on soldiers or do the never ending paperwork that goes along with those physicals. Also our unit is very good about us requesting to be absent from drills for school. When we have an exam coming up we simply fill out a form and stay around school and study for our drill that weekend. Frankly, they need docs, any tech can do what we can so they want you to graduate and be successful so they can utilize you when you have a license.
so it sounds like we would be doing very different stuff than other National Guard members?

however, i assume we will also be taught some basic combat... like how to handle a weapon and have some time on the firing range? so just in case we need to defend ourselves, we know how? is this correct?

so it sounds like we would be doing very different stuff than other National Guard members?

however, i assume we will also be taught some basic combat... like how to handle a weapon and have some time on the firing range? so just in case we need to defend ourselves, we know how? is this correct?

That's what the measly 27 days at OBLC is supposed to teach you... If I had a choice, officers would be required to go to basic training, like all the enlisted folks. Maybe then they will get that chip off their shoulders. You'll know what I mean.

Realize that your primary job in the military is always and forever will be a soldier. That means that w/o anything else said you can pick up a weapon system and take down the enemy if need be. Your 'secondary' job is doing whatever your MOS requires you to do. Now most medical officers don't need to utilize their 'primary' job...but if they did, a lot of them would be clueless. I spent over 6 years in a medical unit with a lot of officers and there were plenty that had 1) no military bearing, 2) didn't know what side of the weapon the bullet came out of (figuratively speaking). Instead of participating in the training like every one during drills or AT, they would sit in the office and bull**** or miraculously dissappear for a couple hours. So please once you become an officer take part in as much training at your unit level as possible. You need to know how to be a soldier and then how to do your job because who knows the sitation you might end up in where you will need to put those skills to use.

/End rant

Last edited:
What I seem to be gathering from 10 minutes of perusing this thread before class is that:
This is the best program to enter if you are interested in joining the Army, getting paid (although no HUGE tuition assistance), and having the freedom of choosing your own residency. What exactly are the drawbacks? 90 day deployments? I have a meeting with a recruiter on wednesday, what are some questions I should be asking? Thanks.

Realize that your primary job in the military is always and forever will be a soldier. That means that w/o anything else said you can pick up a weapon system and take down the enemy if need be. Your 'secondary' job is doing whatever your MOS requires you to do.
It's interesting. While I understand the "soldier first, MOS second" logic, this gets less and less true the more training that goes into your MOS. I have a hunch infantry folks spend a lot more time on the rifle range than helicopter pilots. And that's as it should be. All MOS's should have a basic set of skills, but at a certain point, building up some of those skills beyond that level has a very diminishing return.
Instead of participating in the training like every one during drills or AT, they would sit in the office and bull**** or miraculously dissappear for a couple hours.
There's no excuse for using rank or title to sit on your *****. [edit: apparently I can no longer use a-$-$ to get past the profanity filters...]

That said...

If I have the choice of spending a week on the firing range shooting sniper rifles or doing exercises with demolitions versus spending a week in physician-focused training that will make me a better doctor, I'll do the latter every time.

I would much prefer to fire a rifle than do a week of training in the latest minutia on STD treatment. But the Army is not paying us an officer's salary for three years to become infantry officers. They are paying us to become physicians.

So in spite of my preference to be out in the field, I have an obligation to be the best physician I can be. I'd rather fire weapons, but if I am limited on time, I'll work with my medics to teach them new skills or work with specialists to improve my own abilities as a doctor. The MOS comes first. I'm a physician, and that's my value to the Army. Not how well I shoot.

I agree with you on the notion that physicians, like all MOS's, need a baseline of soldiering skills. But frankly, training much beyond that, as much as I'd like it, can ultimately be a disservice to my patients and by extension the Army.

No excuse for sitting on my duff, saying, "Hey, I'm a doctor, I don't get muddy." But if I'm suffering death-by-powerpoint while the enlisted are marching through the boonies, they can curse me all they want. Fact is, I'd prefer the boonies myself. But duty calls.

This is the best program to enter if you are interested in joining the Army, getting paid (although no HUGE tuition assistance), and having the freedom of choosing your own residency.
Yes, I think you're right.

For me, I toyed with HPSP and ASR. HPSP is great because of the tuition feature. The part I couldn't live with is that you are limited to military residencies (unless you get deferments, which are exceptions to the norm).

The problem with military residencies is that they are fixed. So if there happen to be a lot of applicants for a particular specialty, you could find yourself doing a GMO tour. This concept of an interruption in my medical training was unacceptable to me.

Another problem with military residencies is that there are relatively few of them. I want the best possible training. Military residencies vary from fair to excellent; I wouldn't consider any of them the absolute best in any field, and I want to have a shot at getting the absolute best training I'm capable of. Beyond that, selecting the right residency is a very personal choice and largely a matter of fit. I want to choose from 50 residencies in my field to find what's right for me, not three.
What exactly are the drawbacks? 90 day deployments?
Comparing the ASR program to any other military physician program, the only drawback is the lack of tuition payment. But that said, you will make more as a civilian physician. In my numbers crunching, I found that this salary difference means that the tuition payment only pays for itself if you are ending up with very high loans (over $300K) and are expecting to go into the lowest paying specialties.

Comparing the ASR program to non-military, there are many drawbacks. Once you sign, you are in the military, albeit the National Guard. You are committed for 8 years. Doctors Without Borders or doing Ski Patrol in the Alps is not possible before your drilling commitment is done. You will most likely only be deployed for 4 months at a time every 18 months (assuming the war tempo keeps to what it's at currently, which I personally doubt). But that could change. You belong to the Army and they can give you yearlong deployments if they change their minds.

It's a matter of sacrifice. I think ASR program is the best around for folks who want to serve in the military as physicians. If you find that it really agrees with you, you can always go active duty later.

But you have to want to serve your country in the military. If you don't, as great as the program is, I wouldn't take it. It's not worth the loss of freedom if you aren't interested in serving.

It's interesting. While I understand the "soldier first, MOS second" logic, this gets less and less true the more training that goes into your MOS. I have a hunch infantry folks spend a lot more time on the rifle range than helicopter pilots. And that's as it should be. All MOS's should have a basic set of skills, but at a certain point, building up some of those skills beyond that level has a very diminishing return.

There's no excuse for using rank or title to sit on your *****. [edit: apparently I can no longer use a-$-$ to get past the profanity filters...]

That said...

If I have the choice of spending a week on the firing range shooting sniper rifles or doing exercises with demolitions versus spending a week in physician-focused training that will make me a better doctor, I'll do the latter every time.

I would much prefer to fire a rifle than do a week of training in the latest minutia on STD treatment. But the Army is not paying us an officer's salary for three years to become infantry officers. They are paying us to become physicians.

So in spite of my preference to be out in the field, I have an obligation to be the best physician I can be. I'd rather fire weapons, but if I am limited on time, I'll work with my medics to teach them new skills or work with specialists to improve my own abilities as a doctor. The MOS comes first. I'm a physician, and that's my value to the Army. Not how well I shoot.

I agree with you on the notion that physicians, like all MOS's, need a baseline of soldiering skills. But frankly, training much beyond that, as much as I'd like it, can ultimately be a disservice to my patients and by extension the Army.

No excuse for sitting on my duff, saying, "Hey, I'm a doctor, I don't get muddy." But if I'm suffering death-by-powerpoint while the enlisted are marching through the boonies, they can curse me all they want. Fact is, I'd prefer the boonies myself. But duty calls.

And you should. I think we're both trying to say the same thing. My point was more toward officers in general rather than physicians officers. I too would take a week of medical training over rifle shooting. However I've seen too many officers sit back and do NOTHING while their fellow soldiers (enlisted and officers) are getting trained. To be a good officer you 1) Listen to your NCO's and then make decisions. 2) Don't kick your feet up on the desk and watch your soldiers train while you do nothing (ofcourse if you have something you need to do then it's excusable). 3) Get as much training as you can for yourself.

However, if you're stuck in a unit that does physicals all day, every day than you can't really help it. I'd rather be in a line unit.

oops delete...

Last edited:
I think we're both trying to say the same thing. My point was more toward officers in general rather than physicians officers.
Gotcha. It's sad to think that a college degree and an officer's course is enough to convince someone they're better than the enlisted.
I too would take a week of medical training over rifle shooting. However I've seen too many officers sit back and do NOTHING while their fellow soldiers (enlisted and officers) are getting trained.
That's a bummer. Laziness is bad for morale. Especially when the enlisted no perfectly well that as an officer with doctor's pay, you're earning many multiples more than they.

Thank you for your reply notdeadyet! I hope I can get the ball rolling on this process sooner than later. I, too, was thinking about HPSP but i found this great thread

Amy said you brought her 4 cups of coffee. Nicely done.
Old habits die hard. Will still be a drug rep for the next 5 months. Also, Colleeen scooped the hot choclate up before Amy came out.

Question : what do you 'miss out on' if you start ASR your M2 year? Looking at the paperwork for this program, it looks like it would be vastly to get some of this stuff filled out after 6 months of attending med school. Furthermore, I know it'll take another 6 months to get the packet processed...

Is all you miss out on 1 year of drill pay and 1 year of tuition assistance? (and one year of stipend, but that stipend carries with it an additional service committment, right)

Who do you contact about joining ASR? AMEDD recruiter? (For Texas, if anyone happens to know.)

Edit: For ASR, if you decide you want to get a Master's degree during medical school (either through a 5 year dual-degree program or by taking a hiatus) are you SOL due to ASR obligations?

Question : what do you 'miss out on' if you start ASR your M2 year? Looking at the paperwork for this program, it looks like it would be vastly to get some of this stuff filled out after 6 months of attending med school. Furthermore, I know it'll take another 6 months to get the packet processed...

Is all you miss out on 1 year of drill pay and 1 year of tuition assistance? (and one year of stipend, but that stipend carries with it an additional service committment, right)

If you start as an MS2, don't you still get 3 years of officer's pay? I thought you would be paid from MS2-MS4 as opposed to MS1-MS3 (if you started before first year)... correct?

Actually, under ASR (iatrosB or EMH, feel free to jump in), you are not assigned to a medical corps unit. You are assigned to AMEDD recruiting under medical services corps.

You know it's funny because that's what I would have expected. However I am attached to Joint Force Headquaters and assigned to medical detachment. My ADSW money comes from NGB and my orders are to recruit. We are, to say the least, in a unique situation in the guard. When I try to explain it to people they quickly are confused. I'm just willing to roll with it as long as my check keeps coming.

My ADSW money comes from NGB and my orders are to recruit. ...
Interesting. Very interesting. Is your CO someone in Washington then, regardless of where you're geographically located? Or do you help with recruiting with the local AMEDD recruiter who helped you sign up in the first place.
I'm just willing to roll with it as long as my check keeps coming.
This raises another somewhat awkward point: Can I ask where your paycheck comes from? Is it a Washington DC paycheck or from your state office?

Seems like an odd question, but my state is starting to talk to do tax returns as IOUs and possibly pay state workers with a portion of their salary in credits and I was wondering if that might apply to me once I started getting paid.

Interesting. Very interesting. Is your CO someone in Washington then, regardless of where you're geographically located? Or do you help with recruiting with the local AMEDD recruiter who helped you sign up in the first place.

This raises another somewhat awkward point: Can I ask where your paycheck comes from? Is it a Washington DC paycheck or from your state office?

Seems like an odd question, but my state is starting to talk to do tax returns as IOUs and possibly pay state workers with a portion of their salary in credits and I was wondering if that might apply to me once I started getting paid.

I have a CO in recruiting that I very rarely interact with. I work with the NCO recruiter quite a bit. I haven't met anyone in JFHQ (where I'm attached), I think it just is a place to stick me in a protected status until I graduate. I drill with the unit I'm assigned to, medical detachment, but essentially have no responsibility there other than to learn and of course they like me to recruit.

My $ was somehow sent electronically from NGB to the state a year at a time. So NGB sent $47000 to the state for me. My paycheck is from the US department of defense. I'm not sure how that works out but that's what I know about it.

I also interact some with a regional recruiter CPT Wilson, just because I tend to get occasional questions from people on this board about who to contact.

I gaid paid from the NGB too and I've enlisted in a NG unit...that doesn't matter. It's all about where your pay is submitted from.

I know this is a silly question considering i Just swore in two days ago, but does anybody know about the one time uniform allowance? I remember one of my recruiters mentioning something about it. Me and a buddy who's on hpsp were gonna go down to nellis to pick up ACUs but it be nice if i could get the army to pay for it.

You don't get your uniform allowance until after OBLC...and it's $400.

So you end up paying for your uniforms yourself, and it's usually more than $400 (boots alone are $100 a piece!).

What are the uniform requirements for those of us not attending OBLC for a while?

What are the uniform requirements for those of us not attending OBLC for a while?

Depends on your state and unit. I only need one ACU so I can attend drill.

So you end up paying for your uniforms yourself, and it's usually more than $400 (boots alone are $100 a piece!).

Speaking of boots, I bought myself a pair of Desert TFX Tan Rough Out boots this past summer: http://www.danner.com/product/id/104123.do (I bought them for $103 here: http://mothersofmilitarysupport.momsservices.org/military.html)

There are A LOT more comfortable than the standard issue military boot and I highly recommend them. They are also AR 670-1 (proper wear and appearance of the military uniform regulation) authorized.

USAREC board meets all of next week for those who have their packets at that level. You should have a yeay or nay by February 13th or 16th.

After my packet is yeay'd I have to fly down to WV for the state board on Feb. 23rd.

USAREC board meets all of next week for those who have their packets at that level. You should have a yeay or nay by February 13th or 16th.

After my packet is yeay'd I have to fly down to WV for the state board on Feb. 23rd.

Koojo,

Do you know where to find USAREC board dates? I probably won't have my physical done until a little later this week, but was curious about planning out my time line.

I'm getting conflicting information about where my commissioning physical will be accomplished. Any other prior service folks out there go to their servicing medical unit instead of MEPS?

Koojo,

Do you know where to find USAREC board dates? I probably won't have my physical done until a little later this week, but was curious about planning out my time line.

I've been trying to find that info myself but no luck. I know my recruiter has those dates because I saw them in a word document. Here is the USAREC website so maybe they're on there somewhere: http://www.usarec.army.mil/

I am interested in the programs the Guard has to offer. However, I am curious when finished with residency and fulfilling your obligation to the guard (1 WE/Month, 2Wks/year), is it difficult to get jobs in the civilian sector with the employer knowing you could and probably will be deployed? Does being deployed hinder the Guard physicians practice when he returns? It just seems like it might be difficult to get a company to hire you knowing that you get up and leave for 3 months at a time, at any given time.

I am interested in the programs the Guard has to offer. However, I am curious when finished with residency and fulfilling your obligation to the guard (1 WE/Month, 2Wks/year), is it difficult to get jobs in the civilian sector with the employer knowing you could and probably will be deployed? Does being deployed hinder the Guard physicians practice when he returns? It just seems like it might be difficult to get a company to hire you knowing that you get up and leave for 3 months at a time, at any given time.

:beat:

Please don't make us answer this again.

However, I am curious when finished with residency and fulfilling your obligation to the guard (1 WE/Month, 2Wks/year),
The obligations for physicians in the Guard is not always fulfilled drilling with a unit. I've talked to one Guardsman who went in every other Friday. Depending on unit, you might have more flexibility.
is it difficult to get jobs in the civilian sector with the employer knowing you could and probably will be deployed?
Technically, employers can't discriminate against you based on your military status. That said, it's not very hard to discriminate on any basis and get away with it.

I think you'll find how much of an issue it will be will be somewhat dependent on how big the group is. If you're on a team of hundreds of physicians, it's probably less of an issue. If you're trying to join a group of four, they probably would (and should) be concerned about how their lives will be impacted trying to cover for you in the event of deployment.
Does being deployed hinder the Guard physicians practice when he returns?
If you're in a small group private practice or solo practice, keeping your practice running while you are gone would entail hiring a locum tenens that probably costs more than you do. This would be prohibitively expensive and would also possibly cost you patients who do not want to be treated by a different doctor each time.

In a larger practice, the transition might be smoother. You might find yourself at the bottom of the totem pole when it comes to requesting time off for vacation, but it's a small price to pay.