Army National Guard's new Med student program details.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So, if I sign up as a pre-M1, that would mean that until my M4 year I am on active duty, but non-deployable. My duties are basically to promote and recruit for the ARNG. I make around $45k a year, and drill once a month, although I basically drill when I can because of FLEX.
You get paid like that for up to 3 years, your fourth year you would only get paid for time that you drill. Much less but as I understand it, it would be around 300 per weekend drill before you graduate.

After those 3 years of active duty and graduation of med school, I go to a residency I choose, still make $45k a year on top of my residency pay, and am still non-deployable. FLEX is still in effect, so I drill when I can.
During residency you are on drilling status. You get paid only for drill you attend. It would go up since you've been promoted, but it's no where near what you got your first 3 years while you were active duty for special work (ADSW). In my mind I see drilling during residency similar to moonlighting. Make a few hundred bucks for a couple days work.
Assuming my residency is 4 years long, that would mean that my ASR commitment would be done as soon as I am done with residency.

I just have a hard time believing that if you simply do ASR, and do not participate in STRAP, etc. that you get paid $45k a year to simply recruit and drill whenever you can make time, and on top of that, are exempt from being deployed.
Me too but that seems to be the way the program is designed. I just have a feeling that they will get at least one deployment out of you somehow if this were your plan. The logic I've heard is this: The ARNG used to recruit med students extremely well. Somewhere in the last 10 years they've done very poorly. They are trying to jump start their recruiting again. Hopefully they'll either hook you with extra incentives or you'll like it enough to stay on until retirement.

Am I missing something, because I'm close to signing the dotted line.

I was close to doing the Army HPSP and was beginning to come to terms with the fact that I'd be in the Army for a good 10-12 years. When you look at the obligation of the ARNG it's nothing compared to the HPSP. You get a better financial package (since my school has a low cost of attendance), less time owed for it, a more laid back culture, no military residency. For me it is an absolute no brainer.

Members don't see this ad.

Is there anywhere online I can find all these details and where to find a recruiter? Thx

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it true that you can only apply to these programs after you've been accepted?

Yes, you must have an acceptance letter in hand.

call a recruiter and find out?
...wouldnt it suck if some random person on the interweb told you that you werent eligible, you decided not to do it, and then later found out you wouldve been eligible.....and all cause that dang system of wires called the internets.

call a recruiter and find out?
...wouldnt it suck if some random person on the interweb told you that you werent eligible, you decided not to do it, and then later found out you wouldve been eligible.....and all cause that dang system of wires called the internets.

Just wanted a preliminary answer out of curiosity. I'm sure I'm not the only person who would be interested. I'll call a recruiter if and when I have an acceptance in hand regardless of what answer I get here.

I'm sure MD/PhDs are eligible, it's just that you'll only get full time pay for 3 years
Don't most MD/PhD program give full ride scholarships plus stipend? Why not join the guard after graduation?

I'd be suprised to find MD/PhD students were eligible for ASR, at least not right out of the gate.

If someone accepted an MS I in a MD/PhD program into the National Guard program, they could conceivably finish their entire MSO with full deferrment while still in school (if they did an 8 year MD/PhD instead of 7). That would make no sense from the Guard's point of view.

My guess is if they take MD/PhD candidates at all, they'd be eligible only for the last couple years of their training.

Regardless, this is such a new program, you have to read the contract carefully. If you are MD/PhD, I'd read it VERY carefully. You'd hate to find yourself deployed while you're doing your lab work because your non-deployment status is only applicable while working directly towards your MD (but not your PhD).

I really am looking into the MD/PhD thingy. I have not been able to get an answer as of yet. The top AMEDD R & R officer at NGB in Washington is on leave. I will let you know as soon as I know something.

bmenke17: you could sign on the dotted line and follow the rabbit, or you could take the blue pill.

Members don't see this ad :)
I finally have an answer... MD/PhD students are officially green lit for ASR, no problem. Now that's a really sweet deal. I understand that a lot of MD/PhDs never practice clinically, but if you do the Guard, you'll have to do a civilian residency and then plan on serving as a physician (you could still do research on your own time).:thumbup:

So I got a control number in July and was supposed to get some higher approval (?) but haven't heard anything since then. The control number was for a Sept 1 start date. Anyone who's been approved have the same thing, and if so, did the checks just start coming?

Here's how it went for me;

step 1 = got commissioned

step 2 = got control number

step 3 = my state AMEDD R & R command spent a cupla weeks doing paper work

step 4 = got paid, retroactive to my start date (1 July):D

Now it's every 2 weeks, direct deposit, like clockwork :D:D

great, thanks!

Has your first Sept check (deposit) came yet? Thanks

Can I ask how much time elapsed between step 1 and step 4?

And how long is it between MEPS is done and you're cleared, and step 1? Is this the Waiting for the Scrolls and whatnot?

Can I ask how much time elapsed between step 1 and step 4?

And how long is it between MEPS is done and you're cleared, and step 1? Is this the Waiting for the Scrolls and whatnot?

for me, 1-3 took about 1 week...step 4 should be tomorrow

iatrosB: Yup, got my September check on 29 Aug.

notdeadyet: my step 1 --> 2 were unique. iatrosB's steps 1-4 should be more like what to expect.

Has anyone been able to find out if we are entitled or can sign up for the GI Bill while being in the ASR/ADSW program? The GI Bill is worth alot of money and can be used during residency from my understanding?

Has anyone been able to find out if we are entitled or can sign up for the GI Bill while being in the ASR/ADSW program? The GI Bill is worth alot of money and can be used during residency from my understanding?

We are eligible, but you have to go to officer basic first.

crap!! I didn't get anything! But my orders start Sept 1!??!

:confused:+pissed+

I'm not intimately familiar with this particular program...but I know that at least for active duty your paycheck comes two weeks later...in that if your orders start Sept 1, you would get your first paycheck on Sept 15, and the pay period would be from Sept 1 to Sept 15. The paycheck that amindwalker got on the 29th is most likely the Aug 16 thru Aug 31 paycheck. Like I said, not familiar with this program, but that's how it is in the rest of the Army. Hope that makes you feel better! :)

I'm not intimately familiar with this particular program...but I know that at least for active duty your paycheck comes two weeks later...in that if your orders start Sept 1, you would get your first paycheck on Sept 15, and the pay period would be from Sept 1 to Sept 15. The paycheck that amindwalker got on the 29th is most likely the Aug 16 thru Aug 31 paycheck. Like I said, not familiar with this program, but that's how it is in the rest of the Army. Hope that makes you feel better! :)

I got to thinking about it, and I'm wondering if that is what happened. I sure hope so. For all intents and purposes, we ARE the "rest of the Army" so hopefully you're right. Thanks :thumbup:

I'm thinking we are not elgible for the GIBILL since we're getting a pretty good deal already. That would be even more incentive for this program though, the new gi bill says that reservists/nat guard must be on active duty for 36 months consecutively to attain 100% of the gi bill. We qualify i that respect.

Just wanted to chime in here. I haven't been on SDN since school started but I have been in the process of joining the ARNG for the ASR program since the beginning of July. The callbacks start tomorrow for me and I am hoping that things go smoothly. Let me ask, how long did it take for you that are in to get commissioned from the time callbacks started? Thanks. I ask because if I don't make this months boards I won't be able to start until Jan 1 according to my recruiter and although I know there is nothing I can do to speed the process up right now, it's still on my mind. Thanks

Just wanted to chime in here. I haven't been on SDN since school started but I have been in the process of joining the ARNG for the ASR program since the beginning of July. The callbacks start tomorrow for me and I am hoping that things go smoothly. Let me ask, how long did it take for you that are in to get commissioned from the time callbacks started? Thanks. I ask because if I don't make this months boards I won't be able to start until Jan 1 according to my recruiter and although I know there is nothing I can do to speed the process up right now, it's still on my mind. Thanks

I got past AMEDD today and have a USAREC board next week. I'm also hoping that I can get everything done in time to get paid before Jan.

I'm thinking we are not elgible for the GIBILL since we're getting a pretty good deal already. That would be even more incentive for this program though, the new gi bill says that reservists/nat guard must be on active duty for 36 months consecutively to attain 100% of the gi bill. We qualify i that respect.

The guard website states we can get GI bill. :thumbup:

I got past AMEDD today and have a USAREC board next week. I'm also hoping that I can get everything done in time to get paid before Jan.

For sure, no worries.

What do you mean by call-back?

Yeah, I'm fuzzy on the callbacks. By fuzzy, I mean I've never heard of it. Must be new.

:thumbup: on the G.I. Bill.

My recruiter told me callbacks were after he had submitted the application. It is when they call him back and let him know what needs to be fixed before it goes up to the next step. This may just be his name for it, but I believe that is the process.

My recruiter told me callbacks were after he had submitted the application. It is when they call him back and let him know what needs to be fixed before it goes up to the next step. This may just be his name for it, but I believe that is the process.

My guess is that it depends on how much needs to be fixed. Mine was near perfect, so it only took a day or so to fix the problems.

OK, now I know what you're talking about. One of my guys actually got straight thru without any dings/hiccups/call backs. That is very rare. There is always a typo somewhere.

Now here's a subject that should strike fear into the heart of anyone joining this program : the dreaded PT test.

Now, as some of you may know, the APFT does not really measure physical fitness. More accurately, it measures how often you did the activities that are on the APFT....like running...

Anyhow, how does this work for those of you that are in the program? Have you had to start training for the APFT yet? When will you have to pass it? What happens to you if you fail?

If you're considered activated during med school for your ASR duties, are you eligible to do elective rotations at military bases during your fourth year? My recruiter wasn't sure about that one.

No. As Guard, you'll only have access to military rotation sites to the same degree that they give civilian students access. Don't plan on doing any rotations at a military facility.

No. As Guard, you'll only have access to military rotation sites to the same degree that they give civilian students access. Don't plan on doing any rotations at a military facility.
Hmmmm.... That's too bad.

As you are Active druing your ASR time, a recruiter I spoke to thought that you might be eligible for rotations availalbe to active duty Army.

Can I ask if you're familiar with this specifically for ASR? Or is this just knowing that folks who are in the National Guard aren't usually eligible for military clerkships.

MEPS = DONE ... now the waiver waiting game.

Anyways, for those of you who are already on orders and are active ASR participants would you mind sharing what your particular state has asked of you as far as recruiting goes? I know about drill and the flexible training schedule but what have you been asked to do in regard to the amedd student RECRUITER aspect of your job description?

Feel free to add in any words of encouragement or even words of caution as I begin to enter the final phases of this already 5 month long process.

Anyways, for those of you who are already on orders and are active ASR participants would you mind sharing what your particular state has asked of you as far as recruiting goes?

So far...ZERO.

I plan to speak at some meetings at school, but my unit expects pretty much nothing from me. It's such a new program, they really don't know what to do with me.

Hmmmm.... That's too bad.

As you are Active druing your ASR time, a recruiter I spoke to thought that you might be eligible for rotations availalbe to active duty Army.

Can I ask if you're familiar with this specifically for ASR? Or is this just knowing that folks who are in the National Guard aren't usually eligible for military clerkships.

You're not active, and you're not eligible for these rotations. They are open to Uniformed Health, HPSP, (and under some extremely limited circumstances) civilian students. Guard officers who are ASR fall under the "civilian" category for this purpose of rotation eligibility. Been there, tried that.

That having been said, I think that Guard ASR is a MUCH better option for med students interested in the military than HPSP as you retain much more control over your future medical career and have no GMO commitment.

You're not active, and you're not eligible for these rotations. They are open to Uniformed Health, HPSP, (and under some extremely limited circumstances) civilian students. Guard officers who are ASR fall under the "civilian" category for this purpose of rotation eligibility. Been there, tried that.
Oh well, worth a shot. Pardon my ignorance. I guess I don't see the distinction between Actived Guard and Active. Good to know...

I finally have an answer... MD/PhD students are officially green lit for ASR, no problem. Now that's a really sweet deal. I understand that a lot of MD/PhDs never practice clinically, but if you do the Guard, you'll have to do a civilian residency and then plan on serving as a physician (you could still do research on your own time).:thumbup:

I'm an MD/PhD student interested in the ASR. From what I understand, you are protected from having to attend drill during the three years where you are active duty, but then have to attend drill for the three years after that. I am discussing this with my program director and she wants to be sure there won't be any conflicts with the program. I'm waiting on a call back from the recruiter, but I'm anxious for answers. I'm in my second year of medical school now, so its possible I will be doing clinical rotations during those three years where I am expected to be in drilling status. I was just wondering if anyone knows if there might be issues with doing 3rd or 4th year med school rotations while in drilling status?

JSJ: If you are waiting for a call back from a recruiter, I can hook you up with a regional recruiter who will answer all of your questions STAT and accurately, just PM me. The Guard wants docs, the Guard loves docs, Guard docs love the Guard (just ask them). Your state AMEDD R & R OIC/commander will (or at least should) make it work for you.

Old Mil: thanks

RDC12304: I must confirm what my esteemed collegue, iatrosB indicated. I just had three referrals get commisioned today, so my chain of command is pleased. All I do is wear my uniform to school 3 days/week and answer questions. I have several others in various spots in the commissioning pattern as well. This will happen to you at your school. This song writes itself, you'll see.

I also recommend investing in class A/B and dress blue uniforms, because there are occasions when the HPSP folks wear their uniforms on campus, and I gotta say that US Navy whites look significantly better to potentials than the ACU, but the Army dress blue is sharp!!!