Army NS & NS clerkship advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cudoc2014

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
A few questions, so if any of you have any advice on any that would be great...

First off, any current neurosurgery residents/attendings that have advice during NS clerkships? I plan on doing a NS clerkship the fall of my 4th year (after I complete the first two surgery core rotations). I would like to do as much as possible without "imposing" on residents. What's the best way to ask/go about doing that?

Also, I am an Army HPSP student that has a strong interest in neurosurgery. Most likely, I will be deferred to a civilian NS residency if I match. After residency, I'll owe the military 4 years of active duty and 4 years IRR. Anyway, I'm not sure I can fit in a significant research project during my 4 years with my Army obligations during the summers. Any chance I can get into a NS residency with excellent grades/board scores but not so much research?

Also, if there is any current/previous Army neurosurgeon out there who would like to give some advice to me please PM me or something. I would like to know where you did your residency and if/where you are still currently serving the Army. That would be great.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.