wow factor for applying Nsurg

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

giguerex35

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
i am hoping to eventually apply to NSurg residency and wanted to know if there was anyone on here who could tell me what would be a real WOW factor when a PD is reading your app other than step score and the obvious. would it be multiple neurosurgeon letters? a certain amount of first author publications? what would really catch a program's eye as impressive. thanks again for the help

Members don't see this ad.

Olympic gold medal, nobel prize, etc

Those other things are expected and don't necessarily make you stand out

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
would it be multiple neurosurgeon letters? a certain amount of first author publications? what would really catch a program's eye as impressive.

Unfortunately in the NS applicant pool these things aren't uncommon.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
well....unfortunately i am none of the above, anything i can actually do or just the usual be the best at everything

My own 2 cents is that the application gets your foot in the door. Many programs have a minimum board score that you have to surpass before the PD will even review your application. A likable personality can be what makes you shine...

So how do they differentiate between students who all have stellar applications? When I was a senior resident, they started including me in the rank meetings, so I got to see behind the scenes. After interviews were completed, the attendings had a meeting with a Powerpoint that they'd go through and each attending had their own rank list. Each student would have a score from 1 to 5 in several different areas, like board scores, grades, publications, how they did on rotation, personality, professionalism...Then they'd "heatedly" debate during the Powerpoint section. The residents' perceptions of the students during their rotations and interviews greatly affected the rank. Like...one student really liked by the attendings on paper but disliked by the residents may go down several levels on the rank list, while others would be boosted upward.

Reactions: 6 users
The things you mentioned are the expectation for the average applicant. Wow factor would be something truly unique and remarkable.

First author Nature, Cell, Science, etc paper I know for certain looks excellent

Reactions: 1 user
Quality but also quantity. Whatever you're excelling at make sure there's a lot of it as well, humans lead by example