Army OBC this summer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ydangerzone

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm headed off to Army OBC this June in Texas and wanted to see if anyone else was going...

Plus, is it close to the same program the Air Force does? I've read lots of posts about the Air Force officer program.

My recruiter said we would be in either dorm rooms/hotels, would have private rooms, and would get $30 a day for food. Is that true?

The last week is the field training exercise - has anyone done it before?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not going to OBC this summer, but will be doing an ADT at BAMC in July, so I'll be around.

To answer your questions about OBC:

The Army OBC is specifically for med/dental/vet students- the AF program has med, law, chaplain, and I think other assorted special branch folks. Also, from talking to my AF classmates, I think the Army program is somewhat different curriculum-wise, don't know specifics though.

As for what the recruiter told you about lodging - that's essentially true. You'll be housed in the BOQ (Batchelor Officer Quarters). Its essentially an on-post basic hotel. You'll have your own room w/cable TV, and own bathroom. I think $30/day for meals might be a bit generous. I'm not sure what the current going per diem rate is. I think it might be closer to $20. What you need to realize about this, though, is you will be REIMBURSED for it. So you'll have to shell out for meals while you're there. That's not that big a deal though, since you should be getting paid while you're there, assuming no paperwork glitches.

About FTX: I don't know if they've changed it over the last couple years since I did it, but its good fun. You get to be tear-gassed, wander around in the woods with map and compass, do the litter obstacle course, get a little weapons training, and eat those delicious MRE's :barf: :spam: My 2 biggest pieces of advice: 1) Make SURE your boots fit well, or you'll be spending time in the aid station getting your blisters worked on. :thumbdown: 2) Hydrate, Hydrate, Hydrate. San Antonio in July is HOT, HOT, HOT, and humid. You WILL soak your clothes in sweat. Heat exhaustion is no fun. We actually had a couple people go down to the point of needing IV fluids. NOT somewhere you want to be.

Above all, though, enjoy your evenings and weekends off. Get out and see San Antonio - its a really cool city.

I'll be at OBC this summer. After drudging through second year and step 1 preparationI'm looking forward to it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be at IOBC next summer. :D

Follow me!

If I could give you one suggestion, it would be to get the Hi-Tec boots. They may not be official Army, but no one is going to care, and the tennis-shoe bottom will be really nice on your feet.

Are they switching to the Power Ranger uniform (digi-flauge) yet? I don't like those brown boots.

You can buy them here:
http://navyseals.zoovy.com/product/BTAL5877

if they are making you all buy the desert boots.

Just do yourself a favor and get ripple sole, whatever color. you're not going to be kicking down any doors or Nazis, but you will be walking a **** load.

You will be in BOQ with your own room with maid service, if you aren't going to be permanent party here at BAMC after OBC. Not luxurious and the walls are a bit thin, but the accomodations aren't too bad.

There is no more per diem for the TDY except on weekends. You will be on the MTSS system so your meals at the DFAC are paid for, with max per diem of $11/day for weekend meals.

The course has now undergone significant changes. The FTX is now three weeks long including a weekend for CLS. The last class that went through was not required to pass night land nav and had a much more relaxed scedule. It's a lot busier with the new course. Check the A/187 website for details of scheduling and curriculum.

Arrive in shape. This is no longer summer camp in San Antonio. It's not really hard by any means, but it's not the cake-eater course everyone expected either.

DoctorDoom said:
The course has now undergone significant changes. The FTX is now three weeks long including a weekend for CLS. The last class that went through was not required to pass night land nav and had a much more relaxed scedule. It's a lot busier with the new course. Check the A/187 website for details of scheduling and curriculum.

Arrive in shape. This is no longer summer camp in San Antonio. It's not really hard by any means, but it's not the cake-eater course everyone expected either.

I think he's confusing the All Corps OBC with the HPSP OBC. HPSP OBC is only 6 weeks as opposed to the 8 weeks for All Corps. In the course catalog in atrrs, it still says that the HPSP OBC's FTX is only one week. Maybe the 3 week OBC doesn't start till the implementation of BOLC next fiscal year. (keeping my fingers crossed that i won't be spending half my time in TX this summer in the field). Also, though it will be helpful to arrive in shape, passing the APFT is not a requirement for HPSP OBC, so it's not something that will make or break someone's summer if they fail the APFT, so if you got scared reading the last email, relax. (of course, all my information comes from my orders, past experience, and the obc website, so i may be completely mistaken, taking into account the army's track record of keeping its websites up-to-date)

PS... does anyone know if the FTX is really during week 6 of OBC or if it's earlier? I've heard from some ppl that it's during week 3 or 4, so I'm not sure who's got it correct... and of course, the class schedule for HPSP OBC is still not posted on the OBC website...grrr arrgh.

dwerho said:
PS... does anyone know if the FTX is really during week 6 of OBC or if it's earlier? I've heard from some ppl that it's during week 3 or 4, so I'm not sure who's got it correct... and of course, the class schedule for HPSP OBC is still not posted on the OBC website...grrr arrgh.
FTX=field training exercise? If so, my Army recruiter, who is pretty well respected and knowledgeable said that the first week is a pseudo-hazing week (up early to bed late) and the second week was FTX, and the other weeks were standard classwork and PT with a fair amount of independent group study projects.

threepeas said:
FTX=field training exercise? If so, my Army recruiter, who is pretty well respected and knowledgeable said that the first week is a pseudo-hazing week (up early to bed late) and the second week was FTX, and the other weeks were standard classwork and PT with a fair amount of independent group study projects.
Great, so now I've heard the FTX is during week 2, week 3, week 4, week 5, and week 6 from five different people!!! At least we know we won't be in the field on week 1. This is frustrating, cuz I want to buy a plane ticket for my brother to come visit one wkend, but I can't figure out when we'll be in garrison and when we'll be in the field. So much for getting a cheap ticket. I'm pretty sure we'll get the fourth of july off, so maybe I'll just take a gamble.
Why can't they ever keep their websites up to date? I guess I shouldn't get too frustrated now, seeing as I have to deal with this bu11$h!7 all summer. Welcome to HPSP.

dwerho said:
Great, so now I've heard the FTX is during week 2, week 3, week 4, week 5, and week 6 from five different people!!! At least we know we won't be in the field on week 1. This is frustrating, cuz I want to buy a plane ticket for my brother to come visit one wkend, but I can't figure out when we'll be in garrison and when we'll be in the field. So much for getting a cheap ticket. I'm pretty sure we'll get the fourth of july off, so maybe I'll just take a gamble.
Why can't they ever keep their websites up to date? I guess I shouldn't get too frustrated now, seeing as I have to deal with this bu11$h!7 all summer. Welcome to HPSP.
LOL... the course won't be much lower in terms of frustration given all the changes planned for all versions of OBC. Weekly schedules released Monday A.M. were obsolete by lunch.

I'll check the planned schedule for the HSPS OBC tomorrow and post the anticipated timing for the summer HPSP OBC FTX, if I can find it, when I get back.

dwerho said:
Great, so now I've heard the FTX is during week 2, week 3, week 4, week 5, and week 6 from five different people!!! ...

At last year's HPSP OBC our 5 days at Camp Bullis ("the field", FTX) were the second-to-last week we were in Texas (12-16 July), which I guess would make it the 5th week. I don't see any reason why they'd change it on you for this year. However, I wouldn't expect to get a schedule from them until at least the middle of your second week there. That was one of the more annoying things about OBC last summer, but, whatever. They own your a** for those 6 weeks, so knowing your schedule doesn't matter...you go where you're told to go and you're there when you're told to be there, and stuff changes all the time.

Once we did get our schedule I called my Fiance and he bought a ticket (Boston to San Antonio) to come visit the weekend before FTX on hotwire.com. It wasn't too pricey at ~1 month's notice.

I second what everyone else said about boots. Also, I found it was worth the extra $$ to get the expensive socks. I had no blister issues the whole summer, which everyone else seemed to think was miraculous. I accidentally bought (ripple-soled) boots on the internet (eBay!) that were 1/2 size too big...and I think it really helped keep my feet happy. Not sure if that is a good idea for you, but, FYI.

Texas is ridiculously HOT in July and I personally didn't think San Antonio was that great, but OBC was a pretty good time. Have fun and don't lose your weapon in the woods - that is BAD, not to mention STUPID.

Members don't see this ad :)
According to our TAC Officer for this summer, our FTX will most likely be changed to three weeks. :( I guess it could be worse; we could not have air conditioning. oh well... I suppose it's better than anatomy lab and biochem.
I guess I'll see y'all in June.

dwerho said:
According to our TAC Officer for this summer, our FTX will most likely be changed to three weeks. :( I guess it could be worse; we could not have air conditioning. oh well... I suppose it's better than anatomy lab and biochem.
I guess I'll see y'all in June.

are you being sarcastic, or do the tents honestly have air conditioning? I was planning on sweating out my body weight in water every night.....

deegs said:
are you being sarcastic, or do the tents honestly have air conditioning? I was planning on sweating out my body weight in water every night.....

Unless it is part of these new changes, you will have AC

Checked the schedule this last week, and verified with cadre: the HPSP OBC is still 6 weeks in total length, with the one-week FTX planned for the second week (20JUN-24JUN) and one day off for 4JUL. The 3-week FTX is only for the All Corps OBC.

And yes, the tents at the ISB at Camp Bullis have climate control. It's really not bad at all.

If we have a weekend off, do they require us to get a pass to leave the base or are we pretty much free for the weekend as long as we're back by Sunday night? Do they ever call us to duty during a weekend?

Man, this is not jail...it's pretty much just school. You can come and go as you please, as long as you show up where and when you are supposed to be there. The only real stipulation is that you don't go more than a hundred miles from base without a "permission slip", but that is not something that was enforced too vigorously while I was there.

Stop freaking out and go buy some ripple sole boots.

That's actually changed for the All-Corps course; the new rule is a pass and contact information is required for any location outside a 50 mile radius. Austin is considered within that limit. There were two mandatory weekend events, but that may change. Passes are almost uniformly granted, and no weekend duty unless you are being punished for something.

It really is pretty mellow for the All-Corps; likely to be the same for HSPS. I wouldn't stress about it.

For anyone concerned about getting their orders on time, etc., I wanted to let you all know that you have nothing to worry about. I'm dropping my other acceptance. Everyone, just sit back and take it easy. The orders will come. See everyone at OBC on June 12th!!!!!!!!!

In the mean time..... :sleep:

So, I'm a bit of a wierd egg. I'll be a happy (and thankful) member of USUHS 2009, but won't be going to OBC because I went to the All Corps class last year (Mar-May04) when I was commissioned as a Medical Service Corps Officer.

I can't say too much about OBC, except that it was not as bad as you think it will be. Check out 100yardstare.com for an overview of the academics if you want a better idea of what the class room will be like.

The field was long, but fun in the end. My class put in a lot of hours, but we all had a pretty good time and made a lot of life-long friends.

I'm kinda disappointed that I won't get to meet everyone until you've been together for 2 months, but hey....162 people, together for 4 years....2 months is nothing.

See everyone on August 8th!!!!

p.s. I'll answer any direct questions I can, but understand that I went to an all-corps class about a year ago. Feel free to shoot me an email [email protected]

Mike

I'll be there in June as well and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for preparation (especially those that have recently went through OBC). Here's some questions:

How much money should we bring/have at our disposal?

Did anyone know of anybody having problems getting their pay set up; and when would we see our first "check"?

Should we get our uniforms prior to OBC or better to wait? (on that note, what about the military "credit card" that you can use to purchase unforms, any info on how that works?)

Can/Should we get our military ID prior to OBC?

Am I wondering about pointless things?

JOE

I am going to OBC this summer also. I have already picked up my military ID, both of my military credit cards (one for uniforms, which has a $500 limit and no interest, and another with a $1000 limit and a 10% interest rate).

I will be picking up my uniforms this weekend. Two full sets of BDU's along with name tapes and Army tapes, all the insignia and Boots (I was recommended the Army "Jungle Boots"). And two sets of PT uniforms. I'm going to an Army base and I'm hoping they will be able to help me pick out all the right stuff at the PX.

I'm not sure how much money to bring. The OBC website is pretty Helpful.

http://www.cs.amedd.army.mil/187medbn/alpha/

Get your ID and BDU's set up before hand if you want, but it is not necessary. If you get it done, one less thing to do while you are there, and if you don't, you will have time. Everyone got their first paycheck about a month after we got there. You'll need money for the uniforms, groceries, and possibly for the dinning facility (they may have changed that where it's already paid for you). For USUHS folks, we had to pay our BOQ bill ($1,600) at the end of OBC. Some people got an advance for this and others were reimbursed later. If the Army offers you an advance for anything, take it. If they offer it, it is usually because you need it. Even if you don't use it, it is basically an interest free loan that you can invest or stick in a savings account to make a little money while you pay it back.

In preparation, run a couple miles a few times a week, so some push ups and situps. Other than that, just relax and watch some movies and read some books.

Plenty of ATM's also at Fort Sam. Don't worry about bringing a huge bankroll.

The reservists and prior enlisted seemed to be the ones who got screwed with pay the most often.

What time are you guys showing up at Ft. Sam tomorrow? Our orders say NLT 1400, but if you look at the All-Corps schedule, they have students arriving 0800-1130. (of course, they STILL haven't posted our schedule... :rolleyes: )

It doesn't matter man, half the class won't get there until Monday anyhow.

Where do people get the idea that any branch of the government is that organized?