Latest army O-4 promotion rate sinks to 90%

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pathophysiologist

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a junior attending, and I should be pinning on O-4 soon (currently has 4.5 yrs as a CPT). I’ve heard that this year’s promotion rate to O-4 is only 90%, and the process is no longer essentially “automatic”.

I know that major (no pun intended) red flags (legal investigations, article-15s, etc) can certainly derail a promotion, but I find it hard to believe that 10% of all CPT physicians have these major issues.

My question is, what, if any, can I do to make sure I get promoted? I am a good doctor and good at what I do. I also get along well with everyone at my clinic. But I don’t have any leadership roles or prior deployment experiences, and it’s probably too late to seek these out before the board.

Members don't see this ad.

but I find it hard to believe that 10% of all CPT physicians have these major issues.

You'd be quite surprised. Even in the MC, especially amongst the O-3 cohort (which tends to be younger), there's a fair amount (5-10%) that don't wear a uniform correctly, don't PT and stay within weight standards, and don't mind their genitals.

Don't be that guy/gal, and you should have no problem making O-4. Make sure your official file is updated (with your diplomas, board certs, etc etc). In the Navy we're having this constant problem where officers' records are NOT up to date (usually their own fault).

Reactions: 1 user
Agree 100% with @DrMetal

Don't screw up (legal, academic probation, harassment)
Don't be fat (weight standard, physical fitness test)
Don't forget the basics (Officer record up to date with college, medical school transcripts, board scores, officer photo, etc.)

Follow these three things and you'll be top 50% of your year group and promote no problem.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Dang. Everyone back in my day pinned 04 after 6 years in grade. So, 6 years from the day you entered AD after medical school.

Congrats on the BZ promotion!

Dang. Everyone back in my day pinned 04 after 6 years in grade. So, 6 years from the day you entered AD after medical school.

Congrats on the BZ promotion!
I am not getting a BZ promotion! I just want to promote on time with everyone else.

I am not getting a BZ promotion! I just want to promote on time with everyone else.

My bad, your post implied to me that you were pinning at 5 years, not 6

As mentioned above, being fat and not passing the ACFT are the two biggest promotion killers in the MC for 04.

for 05, add in PME
for 06 add command time of some sort as well as PME.

IMO, becoming a senior field grade officer based on clinical skills alone is rapidly becoming a thing of the past.

If you're really worried and want an edge, have CCC knocked out.

The very fact you are concerned tells me you are at a low risk of being passed over.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user