Army Ortho

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

armydoc

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has any info on the army ortho programs. Any info would be helpful, but in particular I'm looking for info on average USMLE scores, competitiveness, quality, etc. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

armydoc said:
Wondering if anyone has any info on the army ortho programs. Any info would be helpful, but in particular I'm looking for info on average USMLE scores, competitiveness, quality, etc. Thanks.

The problem with answering your question is that the army is a smaller system then the civilian match (fewer programs and fewer applicants). So there is a lot more random variability b/w years. Some years almost everybody who applies gets a slot, other years there are twice as many applicants as slots.

I understand that, I just thought someone might have a general feeling or some personal experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
armydoc said:
I understand that, I just thought someone might have a general feeling or some personal experience.

There are six programs, and supposedly this year students will order all of them on their rank lists. You can interview either at the end of your rotation or by phone. I have heard at least two different statistics from last year's applications:

1. 35 people applied for 18 spots
2. 60 people applied for 18 spots

There seem to be about 20-25 people rotating through many of the programs each summer, with many people doing 2-3 ortho rotations. You will probably be asked about grades and Step I scores by some of the docs where you rotate.

armydoc said:
Any word on step 1 scores?

I haven't heard any specific numbers, but it is competitive like the civilian world. As you'll hear many times, the Step 1 score is something they use to make normative comparisions of all applicants, but it is still just one part of the applications. The time spent at the rotation and the impression you make does count for a lot. Being able to present well (either patients or a brief talk on a subject) is important, and the Netter Ortho atlas is pocketsized and great for when you (inevitably) get pimped on anatomy.

There are six programs, and supposedly this year students will order all of them on their rank lists. You can interview either at the end of your rotation or by phone. I have heard at least two different statistics from last year's applications:

Don't believe everything you hear, your stats are way off. According to the information directly off our web site, mods.army.mil/medicaleducation, there was a 1.1/1 applicant to residency slot ratio. That is far less competitive than your stats. Although this changes from year to year I was told by a resident at BAMC that if you want ortho there is a real good chance you'll get it.

s42brown said:
Don't believe everything you hear, your stats are way off. According to the information directly off our web site, mods.army.mil/medicaleducation, there was a 1.1/1 applicant to residency slot ratio. That is far less competitive than your stats. Although this changes from year to year I was told by a resident at BAMC that if you want ortho there is a real good chance you'll get it.

I wasn't saying those numbers were right, I was just passing on what I had heard. I've seen that slide, but it isn't clear exactly how those numbers were calculated. 6 people are going for 1 slot in rad onc this year, and it was about the same last year. That ratio obviously isn't reflected in that presentation.

Hi there--
Are there any current army ortho residents or MS4's who've done rotations out there that could describe your experiences at any of the army ortho programs and the level of competitiveness in getting a slot? I'm an MS3 interested in ortho and am trying to get an idea of the army's different ortho programs to decide where to do my 4th year ADT rotations. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I'm a MSIV, rotated at 2 places, talked to all the other program directors over the phone. This year there are around 40 applicants for the army's 18 spots.

Step 1 scores mean more than Step 2, but
since we have to take step 2 early (by oct 15), you still have to do well on those. I always had heard that you need 240s to be competitive, but after speaking to program directors, it's more like 220/230s.

Army Ortho seems alive and well and not dismal like some of the posts from other specialties. Some programs have many full Colonels, so people are re-upping and army ortho seems very well respected by civilian programs.

mal said:
I'm a MSIV, rotated at 2 places, talked to all the other program directors over the phone. This year there are around 40 applicants for the army's 18 spots.

Step 1 scores mean more than Step 2, but
since we have to take step 2 early (by oct 15), you still have to do well on those. I always had heard that you need 240s to be competitive, but after speaking to program directors, it's more like 220/230s.

Army Ortho seems alive and well and not dismal like some of the posts from other specialties. Some programs have many full Colonels, so people are re-upping and army ortho seems very well respected by civilian programs.

I would second this post as the ortho program at my hospital is doing VERY well. They are very busy with dependents, civilians and OIF/OEF soldiers. They have a well respected program and good staff to work with.

Mal....where did you rotate? Any suggestions on when to schedule rotations?

anyone out there have any experience with the ortho program at Madigan? am interested in getting opinions on the general feel of the program and its residents. any info on caseload and didactics compared to the other medical centers would be great too. thanks.