Army PGY2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jbernar1

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When selected for FYGME, are we being selected for PGY2 year in the specialty of our choice also or will we have to apply for a PGY2 position during FYGME?

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by jbernar1
When selected for FYGME, are we being selected for PGY2 year in the specialty of our choice also or will we have to apply for a PGY2 position during FYGME?

This depends on the specialty. If you look on the MEDED website, there is a document that describes each specialty and notes which are straight through. I believe all the PCP are straight through, most Surg are not. Notable as now being straight through is Ortho.

Ed

So let me get this straight. Even after you match for a specialty you have to apply again during your PGY1 for a PGY2 spot? And what happens if you end up not matching at that time?

Originally posted by dyk33
So let me get this straight. Even after you match for a specialty you have to apply again during your PGY1 for a PGY2 spot? And what happens if you end up not matching at that time?

It used to be that way, but now the army has transitional years where the candidates are ear-marked for specific pgy2 programs. When you apply for your internship, you can apply for a transitional year that is ear-marked for a specific field (like optho, urology, rads, etc) and those dept's will decide if you get that internship. Then when you apply for pgy2 after your transitional year, it'll just be a formality.

Many specialities (like ortho and ENT) have just done away with the second round of applications all together since they were pointless, and the same will most likely happen soon for the rest of the fields too.