Army Service Uniform

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

delicatefade

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you think??? It goes on sale 4th quarter of this year and is mandatory to replace the Army greens by 2011.

I'm right on the cusp where it's going to hit me in the wallet. I have to purchase the Army green coat (Class A) for my interviews this year, but it will be a wasted expense since the Army service uniform will probably go on sale just after I've completed my interviews for the year.

That stinks.

Word.

Members don't see this ad.

So go to your interviews in dress blues. Or, one of my smarter colleagues just borrows someone else's green jacket when he has too (maybe once a year).

Hate to say it, won't be the last time you will go through this. After all, brand new cammie jammies, couple of years ago it was the beret, etc. Saw it consistently on the Navy side, poopie suit suddenly in vogue with the SWOrriors, so the M2K reg poopie suit become the standard, w/out American flag (in case the russians captured us, they wouldn't know we were American). Dungarees changed, khakis changed, now there are new stupid cammies. It never ends, they change at least one uniform at least every four years, and give you six months to phase it in. Sorry it's your expensive one.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hate to say it, won't be the last time you will go through this. After all, brand new cammie jammies, couple of years ago it was the beret, etc. Saw it consistently on the Navy side, poopie suit suddenly in vogue with the SWOrriors, so the M2K reg poopie suit become the standard, w/out American flag (in case the russians captured us, they wouldn't know we were American). Dungarees changed, khakis changed, now there are new stupid cammies. It never ends, they change at least one uniform at least every four years, and give you six months to phase it in. Sorry it's your expensive one.

so yeah, correct me if I'm wrong, but I heard something about the fact that the Navy is wearing Army Combat Uniform type uniforms now? that seems a little different...

i'm also wondering the same thing about the army service uniform. being guard, I'm gonna try to push off buying a dress uniform for as long as possible, and hope I can wait until after the greens are almost phased out.

so yeah, correct me if I'm wrong, but I heard something about the fact that the Navy is wearing Army Combat Uniform type uniforms now? that seems a little different...

Okay, I will, don't take this personally, it's matter of personal pride in the Navy. I went to West Point for a semester, so I don't have anything against them, but I will razz the Army night and day, but its family love man.

The deal with ALL the digital cammies goes like this. So a while back, the Marine Corps and the Army thought maybe we can design a better cammie, one that works better, requires less uptake (less starch), blah blah blah. So the started to develop the digital cammie together. Somewhere along the way, the parted ways because each service wanted to personalize it (little eagle globe and anchors for the Marines). Could be wrong, but I doubt that the Marine Corps intitiated the split, being the most cash strapped, they stood to profit by leveraging off the Army. Anyways, the Marine version came first, followed about a year or two later by the Army.

Now, wher I have to say you may have a point, the Navy then jumped in not wanting to be left out and came out with their own stupid blue cammies. There were a couple different (like three) designs they tried out. Here is where it gets really ******ed. They chose the kind of haze grey/blue design because it would work best on ships, thinking they would shift that to the working uniform (fine, give the poopie suit back to the sub guys). Sure, it has lots of pockets, wash and wear, etc. However, since it is designed to blend with the ship and the sea, sounds pretty ******ed if someone falls overboard, huh? I guess it protects you from the undected Russian ship shadowing every battlegroup half a nautical mile behind. Guess we give those russkies a lot of credit! I'll have to get back to you on whether it has an American flag or not.

But no, we didn't copy yours, we jumped the shark and got our own. However, since I plan if having to do a GMO tour, to do it with Marines, I'll buy their uniform. That way I won't stick out like a sour thumb in the woods or the dessert, cause there aren't too many rivers for me to go jump into and hide in the dessert.

All in all, stupid decision, this should have been a DOD wide swap, not a service specific deal, it costs all those enlisted guys more money to buy a service specific uniform since there is no economy of scale. When the digitals came out in the Corps, you could only buy them at first if you were working up to deploy, only if there were leftovers did everyone else get to buy them. ******ED.

If u go to one of the local army/navy surplus stores you can buy the greens usually very cheap. An officer at my unit got the pants and jacket for 60$ I think. You will have to take it somewhere to get it tailored, try to find a place that specializes in military uniforms and knows the regs.

So go to your interviews in dress blues. Or, one of my smarter colleagues just borrows someone else's green jacket when he has too (maybe once a year).

I sure didn't think of this. If I buy the dress blues can I keep most or any of it for the new Army Service Uniform??? The ASU is supposed to be based off the dress blues, after all...

I sure didn't think of this. If I buy the dress blues can I keep most or any of it for the new Army Service Uniform??? The ASU is supposed to be based off the dress blues, after all...

The answer to your question is yes. I got an email from one of our senior NCO's w/ a description of the new ASU. Highlights:

-The dress blue coat will NOT change.
-The dress blue (high-waist) pants will also NOT change for dress occasions.
-There will be a new set of pants produced that will basically be a blue version of the green class A/B pants we have now for environments where we would now wear class B's.
-The shirt for everyday class B - type wear will be gray, with a white shirt for dress wear w/ the jacket.
-The beret, black windbreaker, and sweaters will still be worn w/ the "class B" blue ASU
-The dress blue hat (forget what its called at the moment) will be worn when wearing the uniform for dress occasions.

Hope that helps.

The answer to your question is yes. I got an email from one of our senior NCO's w/ a description of the new ASU. Highlights:

-The dress blue coat will NOT change.
-The dress blue (high-waist) pants will also NOT change for dress occasions.
-There will be a new set of pants produced that will basically be a blue version of the green class A/B pants we have now for environments where we would now wear class B's.
-The shirt for everyday class B - type wear will be gray, with a white shirt for dress wear w/ the jacket.
-The beret, black windbreaker, and sweaters will still be worn w/ the "class B" blue ASU
-The dress blue hat (forget what its called at the moment) will be worn when wearing the uniform for dress occasions.

Hope that helps.

mostly right. here it is from the horse's mouth:

https://peosoldier.army.mil/factsheets/SEQ_CIE_ASU.pdf

service cap to be worn with ASU, at least for us zeros........ i'm not sure if that is an improvement over the beret...... at least you can put it on with one hand.

i'm not sure if that is an improvement over the beret...... at least you can put it on with one hand.

WORD. I still can't put on the beret properly without a mirror.

Thanks everyone. Looks like I'm buying dress blues next month. Hopefully they won't think I'm weird during my interviews :D

I'm having a new DA photo done soon, so I decided to bite the bullet and buy the ASU including the new class A (blue) jacket. Unfortunately, I had to buy the sleeve braid from an online store because my local clothing sales store ran out.

For those that don't know, the sleeve braid is branch specific (maroon for the medical corps). When it arrived today, it's obvious that the braid is a distinctly different shade of dark red as compared to my rank shoulder boards. I definitely ordered the correct braid, and invoice from the online company confirms this.

Is there any chance that they didn't send me the wrong braid? Is it possible that AAFES military clothing sales and the online store simply have a different standard of what maroon is? Are they supposed to look this different? Has anyone else encountered this? I am the first person that I know of to buy these, so I know of no one against whom I can compare in person.

Thanks.

I'm having a new DA photo done soon, so I decided to bite the bullet and buy the ASU including the new class A (blue) jacket. Unfortunately, I had to buy the sleeve braid from an online store because my local clothing sales store ran out.

For those that don't know, the sleeve braid is branch specific (maroon for the medical corps). When it arrived today, it's obvious that the braid is a distinctly different shade of dark red as compared to my rank shoulder boards. I definitely ordered the correct braid, and invoice from the online company confirms this.

Is there any chance that they didn't send me the wrong braid? Is it possible that AAFES military clothing sales and the online store simply have a different standard of what maroon is? Are they supposed to look this different? Has anyone else encountered this? I am the first person that I know of to buy these, so I know of no one against whom I can compare in person.

Thanks.

No, they screwed up. The braid should match the shoulder boards exactly (and the braid around the cap, if you have one). Sounds like they sent you one for the artillery corps.

Ed

No, they screwed up. The braid should match the shoulder boards exactly (and the braid around the cap, if you have one). Sounds like they sent you one for the artillery corps.

Ed

Thanks - I figured as much. I just wanted to confirm before I start driving around trying to find the correct one. I can't afford to wait for the online company to fix my order, not that I'd trust them to get it right anyway.