Army Urology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr zaius

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any army urologists out there? I'm curious about the application process. I found an old thread from 2009, but it didn't really answer my questions. From what I can gather it seems that an applicant applies for uro, does a GS intern year, and then re-applies. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Any army urologists out there? I'm curious about the application process. I found an old thread from 2009, but it didn't really answer my questions. From what I can gather it seems that an applicant applies for uro, does a GS intern year, and then re-applies. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance.

Actually you do two years of GS before starting urology. You have a designated urology spot even though you are doing GS. You don't have to reapply, at least thats what a friend shooting for uro this year has said.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm HPSP. I think only HPSP/USUHS grads can apply for Army residency spots, though correct me if I am mistaken.

Thanks for the attempt, though. No one else seems to be able to offer any information other than Bleeker.

I'm HPSP. I think only HPSP/USUHS grads can apply for Army residency spots, though correct me if I am mistaken.

Thanks for the attempt, though. No one else seems to be able to offer any information other than Bleeker.
Yes and no.

Civilians can apply for Army Residencies at the PGY-2 level and above.
HPSP/USUHS apply for FYGME (PGY-1)

Civilian physicians may apply during thier PGY-1 if they have completed USMLE, Step I and II and be regitered for Step III.

I hope this helps.
Your Recruiter may not be in the area where your medical school is, but another recruiting center should have contacted you in the area you are at. Feel free to send me a PM on here and I can find the recruiting center in the area you are in to assist you.

I appreciate the help, but I don't think I need a recruiter to apply for the match (most don't know anything about the match anyway). They already did their job and signed me up for HPSP.

No you will not need any recruiter for the match but we can help with the logistics of getting there.

Urololgy residency is at one of 4 (ARMY) locations:
Ft. Sam Houston in San Antonio, TX,
Madigan Army Medical Center, Ft. Lewis (Tacoma) Wa
Tripler AMC, Hawaii
Walter Reed/Bethesada, MD

There are also sponsored spots at civilian programs. One is at Duke. Can't remember where the other is at this moment

UT San Antonio is offered too. Its a VA sponsored program.

Thanks in advance.
Dr. Z,

I'm a current applicant for Army urology and will be finding out my match results tomorrow. Great to hear you're interested. It can be tough to find information on all the programs and even more difficult when you add the VA-DOD slots in.

The breakdown is 7 slots
2 at Walter Reed
1 at each Madigan, Brooke, and Tripler
1 at Duke (VA-DOD), intern year at Walter Reed and then PCS to Raleigh-Durham
1 at UT San Antonio (VA-DOD), intern year at Brooke

All the above programs are six years except for UTSA which is 5. If you are not in a VA-DOD slot, your program would be 2 GS years followed by 4 Uro. Duke is 1 GS, 4 Uro, 1 research. UTSA is 1 GS, 4 Uro.

In terms of "reapplying," yes you technically have to. My understanding is that it's pretty much a formality. If you do a very (and i mean very) poor job as an intern I can see them taking someone else in the slot. But it's not the sort of thing where they take 3 interns and then keep only 2.

Dr. Z,

I'm a current applicant for Army urology and will be finding out my match results tomorrow. Great to hear you're interested. It can be tough to find information on all the programs and even more difficult when you add the VA-DOD slots in.

The breakdown is 7 slots
2 at Walter Reed
1 at each Madigan, Brooke, and Tripler
1 at Duke (VA-DOD), intern year at Walter Reed and then PCS to Raleigh-Durham
1 at UT San Antonio (VA-DOD), intern year at Brooke

All the above programs are six years except for UTSA which is 5. If you are not in a VA-DOD slot, your program would be 2 GS years followed by 4 Uro. Duke is 1 GS, 4 Uro, 1 research. UTSA is 1 GS, 4 Uro.

In terms of "reapplying," yes you technically have to. My understanding is that it's pretty much a formality. If you do a very (and i mean very) poor job as an intern I can see them taking someone else in the slot. But it's not the sort of thing where they take 3 interns and then keep only 2.

Thank you for the info! Best of luck tomorrow. Would it be OK if I PMed you some questions?