Arrowhead regional, western U clinical site

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

igcgnerd

Hawkeye
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has Western U lost arrowhead regional as a clinical/ residency site? I have noticed that they are seeking ACGME accreditation in all the specialties they had AOA residency programs in. Is this due to them opening up UC Riverside med?

Members don't see this ad.

Has Western U lost arrowhead regional as a clinical/ residency site? I have noticed that they are seeking ACGME accreditation in all the specialties they had AOA residency programs in. Is this due to them opening up UC Riverside med?

Maybe they are seeking dual cred? Wouldn't it be a big kick in the pants if they lost Arrowhead? It seems like Western does a lot there.

Maybe they are seeking dual cred? Wouldn't it be a big kick in the pants if they lost Arrowhead? It seems like Western does a lot there.

That would be a huge kick in the pants for them. But I totally didn't think about UCR's med school. Western was probably not too happy to hear about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, most likely dual accreditation (great for both DO's and MD's I'd think). It's still a major site for WesternU students, although it would be a huge shame if Western students get squeezed out of their rotation spots by Riverside med students in the future, hopefully that won't be the case.

Arrowhead has 30 ACGME spots already for transitional and family medicine. I know of at least one other program that has applied for ACGME positions. Most departments have enough work to accomodate double the number of residents they currently have. On top of that, the hospital is adding 83 med/surg beds this year.

As for Western being squeezed out, I don't see that happening. Arrowhead is an AOA accredited hospital, not JCAHO. It is THE main hospital in the OPTI-West consortium and such is committed to osteopathic resident education.

I can see Western maintaining their relationship with the school, but what I am curious about is Touro-CA. When UCR opens, will they still be able to send as many 3rd/4th years as they usually do?

At any rate, I hope to do an away there some day. Maybe I can find out more from them before then.

I can see Western maintaining their relationship with the school, but what I am curious about is Touro-CA. When UCR opens, will they still be able to send as many 3rd/4th years as they usually do?

At any rate, I hope to do an away there some day. Maybe I can find out more from them before then.

Touro pays ARMC for each student that rotates there, so they'll be allowed.

Last year they cut the number of Touro students to 12 for the year, but this year it is back up to 25. So regardless of money, cutting Touro back is not without precedent.

Touro pays ARMC for each student that rotates there, so they'll be allowed.

I figured they did. I didn't think that Touro students would be completely ousted but more like adjusted, like Shake's post:

Last year they cut the number of Touro students to 12 for the year, but this year it is back up to 25. So regardless of money, cutting Touro back is not without precedent.

This is what I'm curious about: will the spots remain roughly the same or will it just do a quick bounce to adjust to more students coming in? Not like it will happen for a couple of years, but I'm just wondering.

I wouldnt really worry too much about UCR med school now. I live in the area and did some rotations at Arrowhead, that place is "BUSY" and yes they have some MD spots. But the main reason to not worry about UCR is california is so poor. The state has no money to expand UCR's programs so last I read in the newspaper the plans were on hold. The school has excisted for a while, they do the first 2 years there and then transfer into UCLA. It looks like it will stay that way until California gets its budget act together.

I am going to matriculate in the fall to the joint ucr/ucla biomedical program. At recruitment day a week or so ago the new dean of the ucr medical school addressed us. He informed us that the medical school is indeed on track to open in 2012 with an entering class of 50. He also mentioned that arrowhead is going to be a heavily rotated site for ucr students. Whether or not this means that western students will get squeezed out is yet to be seen, but arrowhead is a county facility and ucr will be a state subsidized med school.

Last edited:
Does anyone know anything about the general surgery residency program at ARMC?? Good training?

I am going to matriculate in the fall to the joint ucr/ucla biomedical program. At recruitment day a week or so ago the new dean of the ucr medical school addressed us. He informed us that the medical school is indeed on track to open in 2012 with an entering class of 50. He also mentioned that arrowhead is going to be a heavily rotated site for ucr students. Whether or not this means that western students will get squeezed out is yet to be seen, but arrowhead is a county facility and ucr will be a state subsidized med school.

Wow, that's going to be a pretty big blow if a lot of Western spots are squeezed out. Nail in the coffin for the DO in CA relationship (UCI turning allo, DO to MD merger, NDs placed on DO board, etc).

I wouldnt really worry too much about UCR med school now. I live in the area and did some rotations at Arrowhead, that place is "BUSY" and yes they have some MD spots. But the main reason to not worry about UCR is california is so poor. The state has no money to expand UCR's programs so last I read in the newspaper the plans were on hold. The school has excisted for a while, they do the first 2 years there and then transfer into UCLA. It looks like it will stay that way until California gets its budget act together.

A bit of wrong here. UCR didn't have a med school. UCR did have a program with UCLA where UCLA would reserve some spots for UCR undergrad graduates. And it seems that UCR is progressing through the accreditation process.

I would be more concerned about losing the Riverside County rotations. After all, they are in Riverside.

Arrowhead has been a WesternU core affiliate for a long time now, and I don't think they'll just let it slip away. I'm not too worried.

I seriously doubt Western will be affected greatly by this, which is why I mentioned Touro-CA. Some of our returning 4th years in our class who auditioned at ARMC spoke to their 3rd years and they find it an utmost blessing to rotate there. There's a chance nothing will happen to Touro either but it seems if anyone is going to take the hit, it will be them. Of course, this is all speculation.

I would be more concerned about losing the Riverside County rotations. After all, they are in Riverside.

The main med school that uses Riverside county isnt Western, its Loma Linda. Im not saying it isnt used by other schools, as there are a few Western people there, but the majority are Loma Linda.

Also from looking at website, it looks like the school will indeed admit its first class in 2012. Sorry, the last thing I had read was back in Sept and they had concerns over funding, looks like its is ready.

A bit of wrong here. UCR didn't have a med school. UCR did have a program with UCLA where UCLA would reserve some spots for UCR undergrad graduates. And it seems that UCR is progressing through the accreditation process.

I guess if im wrong then the UCR website is wrong. Maybe you would like to read it and tell them they got it wrong

Copied from the official site under section prospective students although I did bold a few parts.
http://www.biomed.ucr.edu/

The University of California, Riverside (UCR) provides a unique path of entrance to one of the country's leading medical schools. Undergraduate students at UCR have exclusive access to the prestigious UCR/UCLA Thomas Haider Program in Biomedical Sciences. Students from any UCR major may apply for one of 24 seats each year in the University's joint program with the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA. Undergraduates who entered UCR either as a freshman or as a transfer student are able to apply to the Haider Program. Transfer students must have been enrolled at UCR for at least two years (six continuous quarters) in the pursuit of a bachelor's degree before entering the Haider Program. (This two-year requirement applies only to transfer students. Virtually all applicants admitted to the program will be expected to have completed an undergraduate degree at UCR before beginning their medical studies.)

Students admitted to the medical school phase of the UCR/UCLA Thomas Haider Program in Biomedical Sciences attend UCR for the first two years of medical school and complete their medical training at UCLA.

The main med school that uses Riverside county isnt Western, its Loma Linda. Im not saying it isnt used by other schools, as there are a few Western people there, but the majority are Loma Linda.

Also from looking at website, it looks like the school will indeed admit its first class in 2012. Sorry, the last thing I had read was back in Sept and they had concerns over funding, looks like its is ready.

I guess if im wrong then the UCR website is wrong. Maybe you would like to read it and tell them they got it wrong

Copied from the official site under section prospective students although I did bold a few parts.
http://www.biomed.ucr.edu/

The University of California, Riverside (UCR) provides a unique path of entrance to one of the country's leading medical schools. Undergraduate students at UCR have exclusive access to the prestigious UCR/UCLA Thomas Haider Program in Biomedical Sciences. Students from any UCR major may apply for one of 24 seats each year in the University's joint program with the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA. Undergraduates who entered UCR either as a freshman or as a transfer student are able to apply to the Haider Program. Transfer students must have been enrolled at UCR for at least two years (six continuous quarters) in the pursuit of a bachelor's degree before entering the Haider Program. (This two-year requirement applies only to transfer students. Virtually all applicants admitted to the program will be expected to have completed an undergraduate degree at UCR before beginning their medical studies.)

Students admitted to the medical school phase of the UCR/UCLA Thomas Haider Program in Biomedical Sciences attend UCR for the first two years of medical school and complete their medical training at UCLA.

You are right. Sorry. I was getting my info from a friend who went to UCR.