Arrrgh --- $*%&%& eppp!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
^

If making a pile of cash was my primary motivator for going into a job, I'd have stuck with IT. I know what I'd like to make to be comfortable, and that includes making my student loan payments (which aren't that horrific actually). The enjoyment of the work is so much more important to me. I also like the versatility that psych offers (research, teaching, clinical work, etc.).
Ditto. :(

I turned down multiple 6-figure job offers during my application process, and sometimes I wonder if I should have gutted out another few years to build more of a reserve. Thankfully I think I can do some work on the side to help supplement all of that lost income.

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe. I think I've put in a lot of time and energy into this career and I've been successful. But, the money sucks. I'm above average for psychology (in terms of remuneration), yet I make less than many nurses. I knew this going in and I expected to have to work hard and be "elite" to really get where I wanted both in terms of career content AND money. I seem to be on the path to do that. I've worked at great places, I've networked well, my work is viewed favorably, I've done some interesting things, learned a lot, etc. . . However, it's still so precarious. And, meanwhile, I see 1st year out of fellowship physicians nearly doubling my income. I've been cautioned on many occasion that I have a tendency to take the most challenging path just because it's the most challenging path. Maybe, I did. I don't know. I mean here I sit thinking, hmm, maybe I'll go to law school. Self, you can hit 170+ on the LSAT, no problem. Just do it. .

You know, I think a lot of us share the tendency to pick the most difficult path -- and then when we attain the prize we lose interest and set our sights on the next new challenge. Maybe there's no way around this if you're a certain sort of person? I don't know...both my husband and I have changed careers and have thought that we suffer from "the grass is always greener" syndrome (I think they should add this to DSM-V). Recently one of my teenage kids said to us "Well, I know one thing. When I finish college and grad school I'm going to pick a career and STICK WITH IT.":laugh: I nearly fell off my chair laughing, but it stung a bit too. Leave to your children to point out all of your flaws and failings.

Ah well, what can you do?:rolleyes:

I haven't posted in probably 1-2 years, but I used to be a regular poster (some of you may recall). I am about 3 weeks away from writing the EPPP. I just popped on here looking for others who might be going through the same process.

I have prepped for about 2 months. I don't tend to get test anxiety, but can admit to having a minor "meltdown" last week when I realized I had less than a month to go and was not performing as well as I would have liked on the "online practice exams." Mind you, I think those test-prep manufacturers are cash cows that bank on candidate test anxiety. It's no secret that the online exams are harder than the actual one. That said, who wants to "chance" writing the EPPP when they are only scoring 65% on these stupid online exams? Who wants to guess the disparity in difficulty between the two? I won't bother ranting about the wording of these questions or the necessity of knowing outdated and disproven studies from the 60's, but some of the questions are just insane. I know my neuropsychology quite well and teach an undergraduate course in neuroscience, yet when the practice exam asked about "the peripheral cortex," I had no idea what they were getting at - a quick google search came up with next to nothing. These subtle things really throw you.

My own anxiety was alleviated somewhat when a colleague (who in my opinion was less intelligent, professional, and graduated from an inferior school with fewer years of training) passed the exam with minimal study or prep. It kind of pissed me off actually and has me again wondering about the validity of this thing. At any rate, I have myself now scoring 70%+ on those stupid exams and I don't see there being any way of me NOT passing this thing in 3 weeks. I wish I could talk myself into relaxing a bit more, but my "Type A" personality (along with the constant self-doubt that is instilled during most graduate training) will not allow me to do that in face of the consequences associated with not passing.

For the record, I also agree with the profession having multiple problems and being a bit of a disappointment - I would never encourage anyone to take this path.

Cheers everyone. I'll try to remember to post my outcome in 3 weeks.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know my neuropsychology quite well and teach an undergraduate course in neuroscience, yet when the practice exam asked about "the peripheral cortex," I had no idea what they were getting at - a quick google search came up with next to nothing. These subtle things really throw you.

I took a practice exam a couple of year ago (a friend was prepping), and there was at least one pharmacology question that was completely wrong, and other questions that came out of left field. I actually bombed the diversity section (darn you models!), and did great on I/O....so the experience left me really wondering about the exam.

At any rate, I have myself now scoring 70%+ on those stupid exams and I don't see there being any way of me NOT passing this thing in 3 weeks.

From what I've heard from others, many have scored in the 60's/70's on the practice exams, but passed the EPPP without much trouble, for what that's worth.

Logic Prevails: At any rate, I have myself now scoring 70%+ on those stupid exams and I don't see there being any way of me NOT passing this thing in 3weeks.

Therapist4Chnge: From what I've heard from others, many have scored in the 60's/70's on the practice exams, but passed the EPPP without much trouble, for what that's worth.

And here's the problem boys and girls ... we all have a miraculous or pathetic story to tell about the EPPP.

The fact that someone from a marginal school can study for a couple of weeks and pass but someone from a top tier university can study for nearly a year and fail (yes, I have heard both stories -- and many others from several discussion groups) would seem to insinuate that psychology has succeeded, yet again, in producing a dubious keeper of the gate. So, best of luck, LP.

ASPPB itself admits that there is no way to validate the EPPP because if you don't pass, you don't get licensed. There is no way to have a control group for comparison (Information for Candidates, 2009).

As you'll learn from the EPPP I/O materials, "assessment centers" -- simulated job situations -- are the most valid means of judging if someone will succeed at a job. Sounds an awful lot like, oh, practicum, internship, and fellowship, doesn't it? Yet, we add an admittedly invalid exam with dubious content.

PsychPrep attempts to assuage candidate discontent by saying that the I/O area may be of value because someday you might find yourself running a program. Personally, if a few years from now I want some information about managing a group of people, I'm not reaching for my EPPP study guide but a current book on management techniques! PsychPrep also has one of the better practice exam set-ups because they give you rationales for both the correct and the incorred answers. You also have to love that the only section where there are no obvious answers is ... ethics! More often than not, the explanation for the answers is "there is no good answer, but this is the best of them."

Great way to study for a make-or-break exam!

Hey John, why did you skip over the "actor-observer effect" when you studied?

You mean fundamental attribution error. . .

What's your point?

Nice name, by the way, God.

No, I meant what I said. More precisely, it's a different kind of spin on the actor-observer effect, because you didn't "fail" the EPPP, but if you had, I'm damn sure you wouldn't have attributed to you being unintelligent like you did earlier in your blanket comments about others. However, due to the specificity of the behavior being cited, actor-observer effect is a more precise term than the more general fundamental attribution error. But this is just a derailment attempt anyway...

So why didn't you study these terms?

Last edited:
It's all about frame of reference, Gee. Are we talking about my inference to intelligence playing a role in failure rates on the EPPP or an unstated attribution of intelligence to myself for passing the EPPP? Because, I didn't make the latter statement.

. . . oh and just for kicks, interpret my failure to fairly attribute in this statement I made earlier in the thread, "I couldn't interview for ****. Too introverted; had to work hard to learn how to get past that." Who did I blame? Hmm.

So, Gee, again, what's your point? Is it your position that cognitive ability plays no role in overall pass rates on the EPPP (a cognitive test)? Because, if so, that seems like a very flawed hypothesis. If that's not your position, then why are you calling me out, as you would have to agree with me? Well?

Johnny boy, the point is rather obvious. When you say stuff like this:
It's not about me. I have my own problems. They just don't happen to be related to these issues. My position is that psychology is too easy to get into because of professional schools with crappy standards and easy undergraduate programs. Basically, we have a bunch of people that shouldn't be playing around in doctorate level education, playing around in ostensibly doctorate level education. It's. . . annoying. The test is easy. It's psych 101 material. If you can't pass it after going through a doctoral program, barring some sort of processing speed problem, I have to wonder whether you (third person you, not you specifically) should have been let through the gate in the first place.
you are implying that anyone who fails it the first time around is inferior to the almighty Jon Snow and his astounding understanding of everything psychology-related. It's absurd to downplay the exam to the level you do here. It's absurd that you have such little empathy for others who are obviously stressed out about this exam. And it's absurd that you compare the EPPP to "psych 101 material." When the vast majority of people disagree with your stance, but you stick to your guns, there's something seriously wrong with that picture.

To suggest that intelligence is most relevant on an advanced general psychology examination, rather than a whole host of other extraneous variables would suggest that have a fundamental misunderstanding of both the concept of intelligence and extraneous variables. In a nutshell, rather than being such an intellectualizer about the process that causes significant anxiety in about 99% of your counterparts, perhaps you should behave slightly more like a psychologist and less like Donald Trump. There's a time and a place to discuss university vs. professional school quality, and a thread related to people taking the most intimidating test of their life isn't it.

Here's a link to a great EPPP Exam prep. The program creates 225 question multiple choice based sets from an exam bank of 4,050 total questions. This is the largest unique database of eppp questions available anywhere. If you pass a practice exam you will pass the real exam... so all you have to do is take the practice exams until you feel confident of your ability to pass. If you do not pass the EPPP Exam on your first try you get 100% of your money back. Here's the link: http://petc-eppptraining.com/

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey John, why did you skip over the "actor-observer effect" when you studied?

Gee, you will notice that many of the primary contributors to this board suffer from chronic actor-observer AND fundamental attribution biases!

A quick read of the the many threads will reveal a pervasive "I overcame difficult challenges, so your failure means you must be flawed" or "Your difficulties must mean you are weak/unmotivated/unworthy because everyone else here is doing fine."

Note that the "moderator" tends post civility reminders when those protecting the prevailing view are challenged!

Once again a paragon of the status quo asserts being unaware of the level of initimidation of the EPPP. I have been following EPPP discussion boards for quite some time and, yes it is not a perfectly empirical sample, but there is a PERVASIVE sentiment of confusion how to prepare for this exam. People who either pass or fail the exam repeatedly post the same thing: "I have no idea why."

I would (partially) agree with Jon that one who completes a graduate program (not Psych 101) should be able to approach the exam with a reasonable amount of confidence. Certainly, you should have to study and prepare. But when people continually post questions expressing utter confusion about whether they are on the right track, this is a good test? Lastly, when the most common report after taking the exam is "I have no freaking idea how I did ... I passed? Wow!" one should be asking about the validity of the exam.

For those truly interested, Professional Psychology: Research and Practice (Vol 40(4), 2009) published a series of articles about the EPPP. Seems the heavy hitters in the profession are starting to have doubts too!

I've never seen such a quote/statement about a specific individual, much less a pervasive presence of such statements. I think most people that post on here are trying to be helpful. As far as moderation and civility, I think he does a pretty good job. But, I do find it funny that a few of you seem to use my name like it's a curse word when you get all bent of shape about things I say that aren't directed at anyone in particular.
This is what biases are all about Jon ... didn't they teach you that at your fabled R1 program?

People point out how they have felt your comments are dismissive and insulting and your response is to insult them and dismiss the observation.

Ergo = bias.

Not a perfect sample at all; not even a good one really.
Yes, of course Jon, all observational data is invalid, irrelevant, and inappropriate. I'm sorry, but to what profession do you belong?

I agree that there are different levels of validity for data, but not every behavioral phenomenon has been studied with double-blind replicated studies. A core component of behavioral sciences does include observational skills.

Yes, the referenced discussion groups are self-selected but do represent a pretty expansive cross section of post-docs from top-tier R1s to professional schools and everything in between. What I don't recall from you, on the other hand, are any references to ANY external data sources other than your own experiences (or your personal cohort)!

Exactly my point.
Once again Jon, you seem oblivious to your own statements. You rather ::ahem:: dismissively stated, and I quote: "The test is easy. It's psych 101 material."

I don't know if it's a good test.
If a practicing psychologist doesn't know if his profession's licensing exam is a 'good' test, that would seem to be enough of a reason to spend some time examining its utility. (Time for full disclosure, Jon -- are you a licensed psychologist?)

But, confusion from a subset of people taking the test doesn't suggest it's a bad test. It's not really relevant. I'm sure if you puruse bar exam boards, you'll see similar griping. . . or USMLE's or massage therapist exams. . . or beauty school exams. There's always someone failing or someone who's confused.
I'll skip you (again) spewing your actor-observer bias and straw man arguments. Psychology is supposed to be the profession which creates valid assessment instruments. (You might want to review the amicus briefs in Ricci v. DeStefano, the New Haven firefighter discrimination case recently decided by the US Supreme Court.)

And this goes beyond "griping." The vast majority of people who take the EPPP (who go on to either pass or fail) report that they left the exam totally twisted around and oblivious to how they did. Is this a sign of a good exam? Do the USMLE/bar/massage therapist/beauty school exam takers leave with a similar feeling?

(Oh, and real subtle dig at those expressing concerns by comparing the EPPP to "massage therapy" and "beauty school" exams.)

I think the test itself is obviously passable by most people that go through graduate school for psychology. This doesn't speak to validity.
No the ASPPB's own information admits that it is not. In fact, in the most current Information to Candidates, they admit to utilizing the very methodology you've criticized here -- surveying practicing psychologists asking them if they felt the exam covered materials they felt are germaine to the profession.

In an earlier version, they acknowledged that true validation is impossible because failing to pass the exam means one cannot practice psychology removing a core "treatment" group from comparative analysis.

You might want to consider:
Sharpless, B.A. & Barber, J.P. (2009). The Examination for Professional Practice in Psychology (EPPP) in the era of evidence-based practice. Professional Psychology: Research and Practice, 40(4). 333-340.

ABSTRACT: Professional psychology has increasingly moved toward evidence-based practice. However, instruments used to assess psychologists seeking licensure, such as the Examination for Professional Practice in Psychology (EPPP), have received relatively little empirical scrutiny. Therefore, the authors evaluated the available evidence in support of the EPPP's validity and current use as a core component of professional licensure. Although the EPPP has in many ways been extensively evaluated, there is a paucity of criterion, predictive, and incremental validity evidence available. Further, several aspects of the content validation studies were examined, and the authors question whether the EPPP, as currently constructed, can meet its stated goals. Given that the EPPP is a high-stakes examination and given the authors' best estimate (based on a sample of 16 states) that 35% of applicants fail the examination, it is recommended that the EPPP be more extensively evaluated. An outline of major decision points in this proposed evaluation process is provided, several suggestions for further research are proposed, and the field is encouraged to discuss these issues further.

Finally ... there are many ways of dealing with test anxiety Jon (as any good psychologist would know) -- relaxation techniques, rehearsal, spaced studying, to name a few.

But -- again -- you miss the point.

People aren't saying they are freaking out during the exam.

What remains the "x factor" is how best to prepare for an exam which seems to have no rhyme or reason.
We go back to how many people come out from the exam with no clue as to their performance.
Of course, there will always be marginal (or anxious) test takers who will leave feeling a bit confused.
But when both people who pass or fail have little idea as to how/why they arrived at that outcome -- something seems amiss.

Took a break from the finer things in life (like this forum! :cool:) because when I finally heard, the news was not good.

Wanted to thank Geehova and Psychwhy for trying to keep the faith.

And Jon, I went to a good school, studied for what I thought was a solid period of time (using donated materials), did not suffer any anxiety during the exam, even left feeling cautiously optimistic.

But still didn't pass.

NOW I'm filling spun around and don't know what to do next.

The EPPP is not the only hurdle for practice, only one of many.

I'll field this one ... (and ignore the rest of Jon's standard bias justifications)

As the EPPP itself points out, "assement centers" like practicum, internship, and residency are much better predictors of future performance than an exam.

And since you brought up the USMLE, why doesn't psychology follow a similiar pattern and have exams at various points during training (permitting retakes while training continues) instead of the EPPP which comes at the end of training making it a do-or-die high stakes hurdle?

Regarding your, yes dismissive, comparison to massage therapy and beauty school exams, a while back I took the qualifying exam to be an EMT. The written exam was focused on straightforward nuts-and-bolts knowledge (e.g. the thigh bone is connected to the hip bone) and a practical exam where the candidate had to demonstrate actual skills (EMTs do not require two years of supervised practice).

On that exam, I knew exactly where I stood. I didn't stare at a question trying to figure out what was "really" being asked or between two answers which both could have been correct. I might have forgotten the difference between rales and rhonchi but I knew I flubbed that question.

I still have no idea where I went wrong on the EPPP.

Took a break from the finer things in life (like this forum! :cool:) because when I finally heard, the news was not good.

Wanted to thank Geehova and Psychwhy for trying to keep the faith.

And Jon, I went to a good school, studied for what I thought was a solid period of time (using donated materials), did not suffer any anxiety during the exam, even left feeling cautiously optimistic.

But still didn't pass.

NOW I'm filling spun around and don't know what to do next.

Sorry to hear that you didn't pass, REBT... Hang in there, and don't let this behemoth get you down!

Psychwhy,

I read the article you suggested. I enjoyed the discussion section. There were lots of good ideas to potentially validate and improve testing. I think it's notable that they're essentially suggesting requiring board certification. I agree with this. But, I do think a general test of knowledge should be necessary as well. This has precedence, certainly in medicine.

Also, note these quotes from the article:

"A related issue concerns the relation of the EPPP to other exams. . .

More surprising, however, was the association between full GRE (i.e., Verbal, Quantitative, and Analytic scores) and EPPP scores. A corrected correlation of 0.78 (R2 = .61) was found.

This relation may also be reflective of factors such as motivation, IQ, or standardized test-taking ability."

So, what we're talking about here is motivation and IQ as potentially important variables. . . the same thing we're dealing with in respect to admissions arguments in a growing segment of graduate programs in clinical psychology. So, I guess the question is, are smarter and more motivated psychologists better at their craft? The authors suggest a few ways to evaluate that. I'm curious about that, actually. My instinct would be, that, yes, smarter and more motivated psychologists are probably better. But, I don't have any studies readily available on that issue.

How do you operationally define "smarter," Johnny boy?

Sorry to hear that you didn't pass, REBT... Hang in there, and don't let this behemoth get you down!

... and encouragement.

Seriously, though, I did follow the preparation recommendations.
I really don't know how to reapproach this .

And Jon, you might want to read some of the comments to the Sharpless and Barber article. Focusing on the correlation of GRE scores to EPPP performance seems pretty simplistic -- people who succeed on one standardized test are more likely to succeed on another standardized exam. Hardly an earthshattering finding.

I do find it interesting that no one seems to be questioning the nearly 33% failure rate.

What's with the "Johnny boy's?" Are you doped up?

As for your question, that's a bit beyond the scope of this thread. Let's just call it 'g'.

Yes, Johnny boy, you've got it. I'm high as a kite. Do you actually work with patients? If so, God help us all, but I think you may be right about the field going downhill.

Using "g" as your operational definition of intelligence is perfect....because using more relevant definitions of intelligence aren't biased enough. Who knows--maybe you'll be able to keep everyone except yourself out of the field! Total Utopia, right JB? :thumbup:

Go to whatever graduate program you can get into or that's convenient, online, a kajillion dollars a year and open admissions, doesn't matter. Once you graduate, you're licensed. No tests. No internship. No postdoc requirement. I've seen you argue the last two before.

No, you most certainly did not see me argue the last two points before.
I also have never even advocated for the elimination of the EPPP -- only that it be validated as having legitimacy to the actual practice of professional psychology.

I believe -- as the APA advocates -- there should be a limited license available after graduation so that internship and post-doc are not the "dining on ashes" minimum wage affairs they currently are. Practicum requirements have increased exponentially since the Boulder model was devised meaning that today's intern already has at least a year of hands-on practice experience. Internship/post-doc no longer an "apprenticeship" required to provide actual clinical experience early Boulder programs omitted.

But, much like the "death panel" propagandists out there today, you seem intent on mischaracterizing others' statements so they fit your self-serving worldview. For crying out loud, claiming innocent ignorance that comparing the EPPP to massage therapy and beauty school qualifying exams isn't dismissive? (Big hint Jon: Neither of those professions require a 4 - 7 year doctoral degree (after an undergraduate degree), followed by two full years of supervised practice, or deal with intervening with an individual's dysfunctions of health. You could have stopped with law and medicine, but just couldn't resist, could you?)

I've said it before -- I joined this forum hoping to engage in professional dialogue with colleagues and perhaps offer a bit of perspective to those starting the journey.

Still waiting for that experience.

(REBT - I'm too am sorry to hear of your disappointing news. I just hope that for those who endure the agony of the process do not -- as so many of our predecessors have done -- repress your personal frustrations instead working to make it a more realistic and valuable part of the training/qualification procedure.)

Johnny boy, meet my point (from your link):

"Scientific publishings of findings of differences in g between ethnic groups (see race and intelligence) have sparked public controversy"

I guess I was talking over your head again...:laugh: Thanks for pretending like I didn't know what "g" was rather than responding to my actual criticism that comparing intelligence and eppp scores is a biased, narrowminded, and simplistic way of looking at things.

Okay, the cutesy little digs at each other that everyone keeps making have been kind of getting on my nerves. Can't we debate like grown-ups?

Calling someone a condescending name and tossing in snarky comments about their intelligence doesn't mean your arguments are any more valid. This goes for both sides, by the way.

Okay, the cutesy little digs at each other that everyone keeps making have been kind of getting on my nerves. Can't we debate like grown-ups?

Calling someone a condescending name and tossing in snarky comments about their intelligence doesn't mean your arguments are any more valid. This goes for both sides, by the way.

But cara, it also gets just as tiring to be admonished about civility by some of the perpetrators of the very behavior being criticized.

Hello pot? Kettle calling ...

And I'm happy that you seem to be immune to the sort of "snarkiness" you lament. But as one who has been on the receiving end for most of my time here to only then be criticized for rising to my own defense, let me assure you, THAT is what gets rather tiring.

What are you talking about? Jon didn't say anything about my intelligence, nor did I say anything about his. Perhaps you should read through the thread more carefully, because it seems that you're not understanding the conversation very well.

I actually thought you might have not gotten the reference; my mistake (I don't know how far you've gone in your psych training at this point). In any case, this is why I didn't want to get into a discussion of operationalizing intelligence. It's not a simple discussion. It is, however, a very interesting area of research, philosophy, and controversy. . . and it spans into many, many areas (e.g., http://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...serid=10&md5=92f6e46ba9906a7deb6a327d17ac259f) and http://www.eric.ed.gov/ERICWebPorta...&ERICExtSearch_SearchType_0=no&accno=EJ452370.

Exactly my point. The concept of intelligence is much more complex than the oversimplified suggestion that those who fail the EPPP deserve to have their intelligence questioned. Furthermore, much of the correlation between intelligence and standardized tests is accounted for by the higher level of intelligence of those who make it far enough in school to actually take them

I guess I was talking over your head again...:laugh:

Funny, seems like a dig to me. And earlier when you mentioned his skills as a therapist, which I know I'm not alone in feeling is ad hominem, or at the very least irrelevent.

PsychWhy: I wasn't actually referring to your behavior, specifically. And, yes, I know quite fully what it's like to debate/discuss a topic with someone who keeps insulting you as a person. Though it is tempting to stoop to their level, and I admit that I have in the past and will most certainly do so in the future, it's better to acknowledge that there's just no getting through to them, that intelligent discourse cannot exist when people refuse to listen, and moving on.

But, really, I meant the condescending names more than anything. It drives me up a wall when people do that.

Edit: Thanks, Jon.

And I'm happy that you seem to be immune to the sort of "snarkiness" you lament. But as one who has been on the receiving end for most of my time here to only then be criticized for rising to my own defense, let me assure you, THAT is what gets rather tiring.

So, not to put too fine a point on it, but I don't actually see this happening. Can you quote something from this thread where it did? Because I see people being openly insulting to JS, but not to you (maybe if you interpret one of the general things JS said early in this thread about panicking about the exam or failing multiple times being suggestive of someone being a substandard candidate as pertaining specifically to you, but that seems to require a leap to me). It's really not like we're all out to get you--I said you were dead on correct about some professional issues in another thread.

I agree with cara--the juvenile and weird name-calling is really kind of pathetic.

It's not really oversimplified. On an epidemiological level, what things will acoount for a significant amount of variance in performance? The authors of the article psychwhy mentioned brought up intelligence and motivation because they are obvious variables that account for variance in performance on such things. It's not an outlandish thesis. And no, any specific individual that fails a test doesn't "deserve" to have their intelligence questioned. But, we're looking at group data here. And, there appears that there may be systematic differences with performance outcomes in one training program type versus another. What's different between the program types?

I'm not saying that intelligence isn't related to performance on a standardized test. I'm merely warning against overestimating its impact on the EPPP when so many other factors obviously have a large role, not he least of which is that the EPPP is a very intimidating test for the majority of people who take it.

This doesn't make sense to me. If people haven't actually taken the tests, what is the corrlation derived from?

My comment about the correlation was just an intellectualized way of saying that "we're all smart here." People who make it far enough to take the EPPP are smarter than the average bear...;)

Geehova: Jon did it as well, by calling you "Gee."

So, not to put too fine a point on it, but I don't actually see this happening. Can you quote something from this thread where it did? Because I see people being openly insulting to JS, but not to you (maybe if you interpret one of the general things JS said early in this thread about panicking about the exam or failing multiple times being suggestive of someone being a substandard candidate as pertaining specifically to you, but that seems to require a leap to me). It's really not like we're all out to get you--I said you were dead on correct about some professional issues in another thread.

I agree with cara--the juvenile and weird name-calling is really kind of pathetic.

Give me a break--JS made a comment earlier in this thread that people deserve to have their intelligence questioned if they don't pass the EPPP on the first try, and he did so on a thread started by someone who was feeling unconfident while awaiting his scores on the EPPP.

There's no excusable reason for making such comments in this context.

Geehova: Jon did it as well, by calling you "Gee."

Understood, although I didn't interpret that as any kind of dig. Guys tend to call each other nicknames and use sarcasm at times. I don't have any negative feelings because "Johnny boy" called me "Gee." However, I now know not to call you "Susie" anytime soon :D

It actually wouldn't bother me--I grew up with a brother who's called me far worse. However, in a debate context, I think it would seem immature and unprofessional. Like, calling someone "honey" in an everyday situation is usually okay, but if you get called "honey" during an argument it usually means that the person is attempting to belittle you. From my experience, anyway.

It actually wouldn't bother me--I grew up with a brother who's called me far worse. However, in a debate context, I think it would seem immature and unprofessional. Like, calling someone "honey" in an everyday situation is usually okay, but if you get called "honey" during an argument it usually means that the person is attempting to belittle you. From my experience, anyway.

In an actual debate context, I wouldn't call someone by a nickname. However, an internet forum doesn't really meet the criteria of a formalized debate setting. If Jon wants to call me "Gee" whenever he wants, I'm cool with it.

It's actually pretty common on internet forums to use abbreviated ("nickname") versions of users' screennames, which is probably why I was so dumbfounded as to why anyone would find it offensive.

Yeah, but Johnny Boy takes longer to type than Jon Snow. And internet isn't a true debate, but I still think it should retain some degree of decorum, especially when people are discussing professional issues.

Anyway, I'll drop the issue now.

Master's level clinician here, in the process of applying to go back for the Ph.D....

The EPPP was the least annoying part of applying for licensure. I was out of school for a year when I took it. Prep consisted solely of borrowing study materials off of a doctorate level friend who had taken it a few years before. Studied for about a week, mostly to brush up on I/O, which I had never had a class in. Test only took an hour and a half and was far easier than any of the practice test. Passed at above the PhD level and had my results within a week.

I've gotta agree with the "Psych 101" people - it's a little more involved than Psych 101, but not much. If you've paid attention in your undergraduate and graduate psych courses, there is absolutely no reason you shouldn't pass the EPPP with flying colors. It's even multiple choice!

*stands back with popcorn and awaits the vitriol*

Did you not notice the law school and medical school comparisons as well? Are you not aware that I'm a psychologist? I think it's pretty clear that the point I was making was that it doesn't matter what level the test is, someone will have a problem with it. I wasn't equating psychology or medicine or law to massage therapy or beauty school in terms of scope or intention of training.

And did you not notice (in a previous post) that I acknowledged if you had stopped at medicine and law your comment would have, at least, retained face validity.

Jon I realize you are a psychologist -- as am I -- and I have, on occasion, acknowledged the validity of points you have made.

But you have this inexplicable tendency to go off the rails into what I believe has become known as "snarkiness" -- a pseudo-intellectual attempt to
discredit someone by employing some form of a cheap shot logical fallacy.

For example, I have agreed with you that professional schools have inflicted some unintended consequences to the profession. But you have to "go that extra mile" and eviserate anyone who attends such a program as being substandard, unworthy, and duped into spending (what was it?) a "gazillion dollars." You also then tend to blame those who sought to enter the profession through this venue rather than those who created the model in the first place.

And now here, inserting massage therapy and beauty school into a discussion about the EPPP (especially after your "anyone can pass, it's psych 101 stuff" comment), sure sounded to me like you were trying to once again deny the reality that many applicants -- 33% according to Sharpless & Barber -- struggle with this exam by insinuating it is no more difficult than a beauty school qualifier.

Your intention may have been to present a general statemeent that in any population there will be those who struggle with the entrance qualifications. However, to this psychologist, who works in both healthcare and academia, and has been thoroughly inculcated to the culture of parsing one's words carefully, your comments did sound dismissive.

Master's level clinician here, in the process of applying to go back for the Ph.D....

The EPPP was the least annoying part of applying for licensure. I was out of school for a year when I took it. Prep consisted solely of borrowing study materials off of a doctorate level friend who had taken it a few years before. Studied for about a week, mostly to brush up on I/O, which I had never had a class in. Test only took an hour and a half and was far easier than any of the practice test. Passed at above the PhD level and had my results within a week.

I've gotta agree with the "Psych 101" people - it's a little more involved than Psych 101, but not much. If you've paid attention in your undergraduate and graduate psych courses, there is absolutely no reason you shouldn't pass the EPPP with flying colors. It's even multiple choice!

As someone who will soon be taking the EPPP, I'm happy to hear that maybe something I've picked up in 8+ years of undergrad and graduate psych coursework might come in handy in passing the thing!:rolleyes: I like multiple choice tests -- at least you have a fighting chance at picking the right answer.

Just a reference back to the "actor-observer bias" dialogue a few comments back.

I am left seriously wondering so-called clinicians are able to achieve any rapport with clients if you repeatedly post here about how since YOU had no difficulty with ____ that obviously means there is no problem with ____ it must be the person "complaining."

Did anyone ever consider that some of the 33% of applicants having difficulty with the exam might, oh, have some other factors involved -- like family trouble or financial turmoil?

Not everyone can approach this as an abstract academic exercise.
For some it really is a make-or-break job-or-unemployment challenge.

And cara, before you jump in with your reminder this forum isn't therapy, I'm assuming prisonpsych isn't a convicted felon. If s/he is able to work with those who are, how come s/he doesn't seem able to muster up a modicum of compassion/sympathy/empathy for people who were probably very much like him/her, faced many of the same challenges, but stumbled on this exam?

Just a reference back to the "actor-observer bias" dialogue a few comments back.

I am left seriously wondering so-called clinicians are able to achieve any rapport with clients if you repeatedly post here about how since YOU had no difficulty with ____ that obviously means there is no problem with ____ it must be the person "complaining."

[...]

And cara, before you jump in with your reminder this forum isn't therapy, I'm assuming prisonpsych isn't a convicted felon. If s/he is able to work with those who are, how come s/he doesn't seem able to muster up a modicum of compassion/sympathy/empathy for people who were probably very much like him/her, faced many of the same challenges, but stumbled on this exam?

Um, to be fair, aren't you also guilty of the same thing? You are assuming their response style (which you dislike) is the same way they approach their clients (dispositional), rather than specific to this situation.

I like multiple choice tests -- at least you have a fighting chance at picking the right answer.

Actually, psychmama, from reviewing the "passing stories" of hundreds of EPPP takers, this is absolutely the wrong approach.

Regardless of Jon Snow and prisonpsych's assertions about it being "psych 101" material, there is an insiduous strategy in the exam.
In most every passing story, there is a recognition that if you go with what looks like the right answer, you've fallen in the trap.

Evaluating the questions is a meticulous exercise as most of the questions have two very similar answers. One is the "obvious" answer; the other is the right one! Most who were successful at the EPPP speak of the need to very carefully review each and every question and review ALL the answers. It is not enough to know which one is right, but why the other three are wrong.

Best of luck!

Um, to be fair, aren't you also guilty of the same thing? You are assuming their response style (which you dislike) is the same way they approach their clients (dispositional), rather than specific to this situation.

However, KT, do you honestly believe psychologists employ different interventional/problem-solving strategies in session vs. out?l
And, do you "like" their dismissive response style?

(PS - "Actor-observer" would not be the correct bias in play as my assessment is based upon behaviors observed over time. This would be more correctly a projection bias as it is my presumption they share similar beliefs about public behavior as I.)

However, KT, do you honestly believe psychologists employ different interventional/problem-solving strategies in session vs. out?l
And, do you "like" their dismissive response style?

(PS - "Actor-observer" would not be the correct bias in play as my assessment is based upon behaviors observed over time. This would be more correctly a projection bias as it is my presumption they share similar beliefs about public behavior as I.)

Your last comments were about PrisonPsych. Who has posted seven times, mostly questions about military clinical psych. Pretty sure your statements were about his/her ONE comment. I pointed it out to remind everyone that knowing about the biases people have does very little to prevent us from making the same mistakes (no matter which side of the fence you are on).

And yes, actually, I am quite sure that people can behave differently in therapy versus a discussion on an internet forum. Different setting, different dynamics (person to person, eye-contact), different power structure, different purposes, different pressures=> different behavior. Do some people behave in a therapy setting like they do on the internet? Probably. But I don't think that is the norm.

Last edited:
Here is what I said AFTER I was blasted after offering what I thought was a friendly post.

I can accept that this was not a congenial way to express this thought. Though, I didn't mention anything about a first try failure nor did I intend to suggest that the OP was unintelligent. I do think we have a front door problem that probably accounts for a good portion of the problems in passing the EPPP. Others have brought up that maybe the EPPP is a poorly designed exam and that it may also not validly predict performance. These are good points. So, how should we fix it? I thought in the discussion of the article psychwhy references, several good suggestions were proferred. Any one have an opinion?

First off, yes, we definitely have a front door problem, but so does every profession depending on the academic program (i.e. Each profession has its version of "ambulance chasers"). However, Jon, your perspective on the front door problem seems to paint the professional school students in an extremely negative light. As a Ph.D. product, you may not realize that a great deal of professional school students take issue with expansion of programs and relaxed admission policies when they happen. I was somebody who decided on a Psy.D. program at a professional school over a Ph.D. program at a university because the Psy.D. program provided a direct path to my professional goals (to be a general clinician in private practice). As I progressed through the program, many of us complained plenty about the ever-growing school programs and student populations. In a nutshell, what I'm trying to say is that the Psy.D. programs put out many talented products, and obviously a fair share of people who won't cut it. IMHO, the people who can't live up to the expectations of the field will work themselves out of clinical and research-oriented work in favor of a peripheral area of application which they're able to handle.

As for the intentions of your earlier comments--I don't think you were meaning to offend anyone, but I did think that you were guilty of failing to remember that intentions of the talker and interpretations of the listener are mutually exclusive concepts that bear equal levels of importance.

I don't believe that. In business or law. . . sure. But the performance differences in a health delivery field are not so obvious to the consumer. I've seen a lot of incompetence amongst our colleagues (in the form of report writing, assessments, and comments. . . I haven't observed many of my fellow professionals actually performing therapy, for example).

Actually, I've seen some pretty bad examples of law practice in my day. In the case of both psychology and law, the education and licensing systems are supposed to separate the wheat from the chaff -- but not always. Caveat Emptor.

Jon SnowI think there are some questions that fall in this realm, but not most. I know, on the practice exams, there were a few questions that, in my area of specialization, I disagreed with the answer. But, I've never taken a multiple choice exam that didn't have at least a few of those (and this one is 200+ questions).

. . . and you don't have to worry as much about idiosyncratic interpretations of your work.

Of course, no assessment is perfect.
But I showed two colleagues one of the retired questions and all three of us had different answers. We debated the answer for 20 minutes. During the exam itself, you can't spend 20 minutes contemplating one question and certainly can't bring two other psychologists to consult with!

Gotta wonder about idiosyncratic interpretations in cases like that.

Personally, I liked the PsychPrep materials because they explained the rationales for all the answer options. But when all four answers are just a shade apart ...

And, not to open another can of worms, but a fair number of post-exam rants share the impression that there were scores of questions that were totally unfamiliar. And yes, perhaps, the individual is employing a self-serving bias and overestimating how long s/he prepared. But this has been reported with such frequency it seems unlikely they ALL are embellishing their prep effort.

Me: It is not enough to know which one is right, but why the other three are wrong.
Jon: Is this bad?

In and of itself, no.
But this is a different approach than virtually every standardized test I've taken before.

Most are along the lines of:
Q) What color is the sky? 1) Red 2) Blue 3) Green 4) Shades of grey

The EPPP version:
Q) What color is the sky? 1) Cerulean 2) Cobalt 3) Bleu 4) Green

Yes, the content of the questions is super simplified.
EPPP questions should make you think.
They shouldn't be so obtuse as to make you want to bang your head on the table.

Me: Did anyone ever consider that some of the 33% of applicants having difficulty with the exam might, oh, have some other factors involved -- like family trouble or financial turmoil?

Jon: What do you think accounts for most of the variance in that rate:

- lack of preparation

- lack of adequate preparation

- ability

- poorer training

- standardized test taking strategies

- family trouble

- financial turmoil (that's interesting in the context of this conversation)

Jon, you remind me of the teenagers who walk along railroad tracks and when one of them is killed by an oncoming train, the rest all say, "Well I've walked those tracks for years and nothing ever happened to me!"

I ask if you can envision there being NON-academic reasons for poor performance and you respond by five sub-standard academic preparation reasons for poor performance.

Yes ... some people do not properly prepare. It is a fact.

But what you seem to be totally unwilling to entertain (nevermind concede) is that there are some who do give it their level best and still fail, leaving with total sense of confusion. The mere fact that there are journal articles questioning the validity/utility of the EPPP would suggest there are some lingering concerns about it.

And, again, your inability to recognize that not everyone who takes the exam is a twenty-something grad student lucky enough to be seeking licensure in a state which permits the exam to be taken before post-doc is over.

There actually are some applicants whose state makes them wait until post-doc is over (and certified by the board) before sitting for the exam and who have financial/familial obligations. For them the exam is not some exercise in academic rhetoric. Either they pass or lose their job (and the family their income). Sorry, but that does seem to be a pretty hefty price to pay after sacrificing for 4 - 7 years of study/internship/post-doc and then the 3 - 6 months of heavy-duty studying most say is needed to have a reasonable expectation of passing.

All I have ever advocated for is that the exam be truly a legitimate assessment of one's knowledge base for the practice of professional psychology. It should not be yet another obscure obstacle course on the journey to becoming a psychologist.

Is it sad that I actually do sit and eat popcorn while reading this thread? :)

In psychology, we take those students (and below) and put them in professional schools.

ouch! Jon, you had me until that last statement. I think it's the bald, blanket-type assertions like this one that tend to provoke the strong reactions from some of us. I agree with 90% of what you said, but painting all professional schools as repositories of the inept?? C'mon, it'd not quite that black and white.