EPPP part 2 early adoption

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychnerddc

Reaction score
EPPP part 2 early adoption

DC decided to be an early adopter of the part 2 and put in a terrible clause that forced all applicants with a degree conferral post Jan 1, 2022 to take it. Sucks for me because I'm already a licensed psychologist in another state with psypact but because my conferral date is aug 2022.. I'm forced to take it.

Despite the fact I went to APA program and internship AND completed 2080 hour formal post doc fellowship. Seems like quite the money grabbing scam to early enact it. I’m considering ditching DC entirely.

In general, it's my understanding that this test wasn't suppose to be official until 2026 and l've heard the norms for the part 2 are based on a low N.

Wondering if this arbitrary requirement is even lawful. Or if a state psychology board has free rein to decide the requirements at will. Is this just a case of too bad so sad states right or do I have a case to fight back?

My question: does anyone know if I have grounds to hire a lawyer/ start a legally backed group complaint? If so, what kind of lawyer would I need to contact?

Members don't see this ad.

The lawyers I have used charge between $250-600/hr. $5K retainer to take you on as client. Minimum $25k for litigation. The state has lawyers. So, how far do you want to get into the case before you go broke? $100k? $250k? If you have that kind of cash to burn why bother practicing psychology?

In short, they make the rules...take the test. You have no power.

Reactions: 2 users
The lawyers I have used charge between $250-600/hr. $5K retainer to take you on as client. Minimum $25k for litigation. The state has lawyers. So, how far do you want to get into the case before you go broke? $100k? $250k? If you have that kind of cash to burn why bother practicing psychology?

Hmm pretty pessimistic. But thanks for the good faith input!

Members don't see this ad :)

I doubt it'd even get to litigation. OP would just be throwing away a retainer and consultation fees for the suit to get thrown out. EPPP2 is rolling out for wide adoption in 2026, but individual jurisdiction can and are implementing sooner. There's no case here.

Reactions: 1 user
Just curious, so in the future if i want to be licensed in another state, am I going to have to take this new test prior to licensure? There's not going to be any grandfathering? I havent kept up on this AT ALL.

Just curious, so in the future if i want to be licensed in another state, am I going to have to take this new test prior to licensure? There's not going to be any grandfathering? I havent kept up on this AT ALL.

Will probably be state dependent. Some states will likely still have fast tracks (e.g., ABPP, licensed for X years with no board actions, etc). Plus, you'll still have PSYPACT as a partial workaround.

I agree--state boards generally have pretty wide latitude in terms of determining standards for licensure and practice. And with multiple states seemingly adopting or having already adopted part 2, it'd probably be hard to argue that your state is unique and/or inappropriate for using it. Unless someone challenges part 2 altogether, which would probably a separate, larger issue.

FYI - I remember reading something a while ago stating that passing "EPPP" was the equivalent to passing "EPPP, Part 1" and "EPPP, Part 2," even though "EPPP" and "EPPP, Part 1" are essentially the same thing. I did some quick Googling and couldn't find where I read this online... I think it was in an ASPPB FAQ..?

OP, consider doing some additional web searches for this statement, wherever it may live (cheaper than hiring a lawyer) and then consider sharing that with your jurisdictional board and asking for clarification (e.g., "If ASPPB says that passing the old 'EPPP' is equivalent to passing the new 'Parts 1 & 2,' then why are you requiring me to take 'Part 2' in addition to the old, standalone 'EPPP'?"). Seems unlikely that it will effect a change in outcome, but it can't hurt to check... Keep us posted, and please post the link to that FAQ I have in mind if you come across it!

Agreed, with what others have stated that the grounds for any legal intervention would be shaky at best. Without a larger shift in EPPP Part-2 adoption from other jurisdictions it seems like this test will be the norm come 2026, but others may join before then.