ARRRRGGGGHHHH one more try!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What programs are you ranking?

• Alabama - Birmingham

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Arkansas

• UCLA

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • UCSD

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • USC

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • UCSF

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Stanford

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Colorado - Denver

• Yale

• Georgetown

• George Washington

• University of Florida - Gainsville

• University of Miami

• Emory

• Hawaii!

• Northwestern - Chicago

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Univ of Chicago

• Rush

• Loyola

• Indiana

• Iowa

• Kentucky

• Tulane

• John Hopkins

• Maryland

• NIH

• BWH

• MGH

• NEMC

• BIDMC

• U Mass

• Michigan

• Mayo

• Minnesota

• Mississippi

• Wash U - STL

• Nebraska

• Dartmouth

• UMDNJ - Newark

• New Mexico

• Columbia

• Cornell

• NYU

• Mt. Sinai- NY

• North Carolina

• Duke

• Wake Forrest

• Cleveland Clinic

• Ohio State

• Oklahoma

• Oregon

• Penn

• Brown

• South Carolina

• South Dakota

• Vandy

• Baylor - the big one

• Texas Southwestern

• Utah

• Washington-Seattle

• Total voters

governaitor

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What programs are you ranking. I promise this one will let you pick multiple ones.

Members don't see this ad.

It will be interesting to see how the votes "pile up".

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the poll.
Can not find my favored program - U of Pittsburgh?!
Thank you,

Simon

It looks like University of Chicago and Northwestern are doing well. But Rush and Loyola might take it on the chin!

Originally posted by governaitor
It looks like there are about 20 senior medical students on this forum going into path, judging from the last couple of polls.

I bet there's more - lots of people being shy!

1) 5 and 4 people are ranking UCSD and UCLA while only 1 is ranking Stanford.
People seem to have a love it or hate it relationship with stanford. Not applying there, I have no relationship with it other than what I have heard from others.

2) Yale is in high demand.

3) Nortwestern and University of Chicago will fill easily while Rush and Loyola might not fill at all.

4) Iowa kicks ass for being in the middle of "nowhere"
Iowa is a great program, it was very tough for me to not put it higher.
I also think U Chi is going to become one of the toughest to get into in a couple of years, if not sooner. Impressive interview day. I think Rush and Loyola will probably do fine though, although Rush has an odd strategy of sending out interview invites in mid december and then only offering interviews for a few week period.

5) The three Harvard programs dominate Boston.
You must write for the Boston Globe in your spare time! (I say this because the Globe LOVES Harvard). You are right though, the other places do get a little lost in the shuffle sometimes. I visited all 3 but only ranked one of them.
7) In general the Southern Programs are not too popular.

Or, they just don't have any computers in the south. (!)
I kid because I care. Here in the North we may have computers but we have no tact. Seriously though, the time I have spent in a few southern locales (rural Virginia, Baton Rouge, Charlotte) has had me looking for a time machine to get back to present day.

And by the way Crepitus, I like the quote.

p.s. Gov where is your rank list?

Originally posted by yaah
Seriously though, the time I have spent in a few southern locales (rural Virginia, Baton Rouge, Charlotte) has had me looking for a time machine to get back to present day.

Back in the day, good ole VA stretched from Vermont to Florida. You seem like a pretty smart guy......for a Yankee. :laugh:

Take care.

P.S. "I wanna cast.....magic missle."
"Dude!"

Originally posted by Fermata
Back in the day, good ole VA stretched from Vermont to Florida. You seem like a pretty smart guy......for a Yankee.

Ack. Don't call a Massachusetts resident a Yankee.
Although I know what you mean.

Originally posted by yaah
Ack. Don't call a Massachusetts resident a Yankee.
Although I know what you mean.

I'm curious how deep this runs. From what I've heard, New York(City) residents don't even like themselves. :laugh:

Well, no one else likes them either. I always love Yankee fans who act as though they are somehow superior beings since the guy who owns the team they root for simply has more money to spend than anyone else. Hey Yankee fans, remember the 80's? I do! Yankees stunk! The Mets were everyone's team then, which you probably do remember because you all called yourself Mets fans at the time! Nothing like a good New York rant to get me off of how much I dislike the South!

To keep this related to pathology - I did an autopsy on a new yorker once. Surprise! No brains! The cranial cavity was filled with a bunch of applesauce. And some Yankee pins. And a pigeon.

And interesting, keep posting on this poll and more people vote on it. Up over 20 now. And by the way, not everyone ranks all 3 harvard programs. I only ranked one of them. People can think independently! Three cheers for humanity! Hurrah! Hurrah! On second thought, that's enough.

Sadly, I too remember the 80's. In 1986 I was living in a dorm that seemed half full of Massachusetts residents and half occupied (so as not to sound like an optomist about these types) with Mets (many nee Yankee) fans. 'Twas a tense time for about a month.

To keep this related to pathology, we were concerned that Bill Buckner and/or Calvin Cheraldi would be the next autopsy performed (they both hit the bricks before any "fans" could get ahold of them).

:p

I think some wiseacre went and voted for every program. My goodness, that's so clever! I hope your fraternity house was impressed by the boldness of your prank!

I have forgiven Billy Buck. He came back to the Red Sox a couple of years later for spring training and made the opening day roster. I went to opening day that year, and he got the biggest ovation of anyone. Standing ovation, several minutes. He only lasted a few weeks I think, but it was a good moment. I blame several others for that game 6 meltdown. McNamara. Schiraldi. The Steamer (Bob Stanley). Throw strikes, steamer! Grady Little, however, will never be forgiven. I don't wish him any harm, but he needs to keep away from New England baseball now. He's done enough.

Hey, I was at that game, too! Used to make all the opening days, even the COLD ones. It's true, he did make it back for a brief time. Unfortunately, he'll take the blame from the majority of people, when the 6th game was when the curse truly took effect (although not taking a knee for a grounder is pretty weak).

Hey management, listen up - time to apologize!

Back to path, anyone care to post their thoughts on Yale?

i didn't rank yale very highly (7 or 8 i think). this was for several reasons. first, it seemed like they worked too many hours for my liking (13-14 hour days per the residents). second, i didn't buy the whole spiel that they gave. i remember them saying, "if you just want to get good path training to become a good practitioner then you can do that a lot of places. but if you want to be leading the path community into the future then come here." please. if i can get really good training somewhere else where i would be happier, why would i want to go to yale? and third, i didn't like the way ap and cp were so separate. residents that were on ap actually didn't even know some of the residents on cp which was kind of shocking. oh, and i personally didn't like the residents that much for the most part. not that there was anything wrong with them, but i just didn't see myself getting along with them as well as i could at other places. i guess in yale's favor is the name. when non-medical people hear that i interviewed at yale but that i didn't like it and don't want to go there they think i'm crazy. but i guess being able to tell people i'm at yale to massage my ego wasn't enough to get me to rank it higher.

i'd like to hear some thoughts on musc if anyone has any. it seems like a great program although the hospital in general doesn't have a great name.

it's getting closer to spring and a young man's fancy turns to BASEBALL! (and graduation!)I remember being so devisated in 1986 after the Red Sox lost game 6. Now, I grew up in Maine so I am die-hard Sox fan, but my little league uniforms looked like the Dodgers, so I became a Dodger's fan too. I support both equally. When I was working in NYC a few summers ago I went to a Mets/Dodgers game THE SCENE OF THE CRIME in 1986 and I couldn't resist wearing my Red Sox shirt. I had a point to make, not sure what it was, but I made it! For a graduation gift to myself I bought tickets for the Red Sox/Dodgers series in June at Fenway. What a great weekend that will be!!!! Spanky's and Phillies on the North American Sports Network here in Dublin tonight, the beer is chillin' as I type. I notice that very little has been said about NYU on the rank list stuff. What did anyone who went there think of it? I was pretty disapointed. You couldn't pay me enough to go there!! Yaah, if you're at Fenway June 11-13 I'll buy you a beer! Pete