Art History

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

El Nino

Attending
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, ok I know you guys are probably sick of "what should I major in?" type post however, I am in a dilemma. Art History is an fascinating discipline and something I am interesting in but, how are Art History majors viewed by adcoms and med schools? I dont want it to seem "oh he majored in something easy". If, I majored in Art history it would definitely make me an unique (compared to all the other heavy science majors) and well-rounded applicant but, how would it help me?

Yes, I have searched the forums and learned of all the non-science majors who have been sucessful in medical school. However, never heard of an Art history major's success story.

Any art history majors (who are currently pre meds or med students) out there have any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Art?

Oh, art history. It's reputable. :D

For reasons that I can only speculate on, statistically fine arts majors have the greatest %age success in getting into med school (a greater percentage get in than bio majors or other humanities majors).

Statistically, that's what I've read anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am an art history major. If you love it...go for it.

Ok, ok I know you guys are probably sick of "what should I major in?" type post however, I am in a dilemma. Art History is an fascinating discipline and something I am interesting in but, how are Art History majors viewed by adcoms and med schools? I dont want it to seem "oh he majored in something easy". If, I majored in Art history it would definitely make me an unique (compared to all the other heavy science majors) and well-rounded applicant but, how would it help me?

Yes, I have searched the forums and learned of all the non-science majors who have been sucessful in medical school. However, never heard of an Art history major's success story.

Any art history majors (who are currently pre meds or med students) out there have any advice?

I wanted to double in art history, but my school has a unit cap, so all I could do was the minor. I showed my interest in art, and related my PS to my love for art and art history, and I have been asked about it at all of my interviews. Adcoms will see it as a plus, but you should consider adding on a science minor or possibly doubling, if possible. I think rplyer1 is an art history double, so maybe he may be able to help.

I am a double. it has helped. I avoided the problem you mentioned by doubling in chem, which i have always described as my primary major, ie if i could only do one it would be that. it has generally been a plus on my applications.

don't shoot yourself down. i was a science major who couldn't for the life of me handle intro to art history classes. if you can do art history + excel in your pre-med classes then right on. humanities classes just scare us.

Yay art history!!! :love: I would encourage you to go for it (as it sounds like a true interest of yours) but add that you should make sure to take enough hard science courses to show ADCOMs you can handle the material. I went a bit further and actually got two degrees in art history before deciding to do this whole pre-med thing (I was planning to be a prof but discovered academia was all wrong for me), but I can tell you from the discussions I've had with admissions folks thus far that they have considered it a strength of my app to have interests and knowledge outside of the sciences. It will certainly help make you stand out in the sea of bio and chem majors. And it will give you something to talk about in interviews, essays, etc. You can point out how art history REALLY helps with memorization, visual observation, pattern recognition, and written and oral communication (I certainly had to write a crapload of papers and give a lot of presentations) -- all skills that docs very much need to have.

Actually, there's been some research done on how art observation can help you as a med student/doctor. One of my profs from undergrad created this website basically to allay the fears of parents wondering "what the heck is my kid going to do with an art history major?" He used to love to tell us "well, you could be a doctor!" If you scroll to almost the very bottom of the page, he has a short Yale news release posted on a study they did training med students in visual observation using art. Fun stuff. Here's the JAMA article on the research, if you're really interested (and have access to an online JAMA subscription).

Art?

Oh, art history. It's reputable. :D

Word. That's my sig! :D

don't shoot yourself down. i was a science major who couldn't for the life of me handle intro to art history classes. if you can do art history + excel in your pre-med classes then right on. humanities classes just scare us.

Another excellent point. I would never say that my art history classes were easy (whether the adcoms think so is a different matter, of course . . . and on that point, I have no idea.) Art history seminars were downright tough - lots of heavy reading, interpretation, and analysis . . . particularly if you're dealing with modern or contemporary art and theory. It takes a totally different mindset and set of abilities to excel in art history, and it's fairly impressive to be able to do well in both humanities and sciences (if I do say so myself :laugh:).

Another plus: you'll rock the ever-elusive verbal section of the MCAT. :D

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Outside the regular pre med requirements, what science classes do you recommend taking?

Now I just have to explain to my parents you don't have to major in bio or chem to get into med school.