Arthur Rubenstein - UPenn School of Medicine Dean

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I love his interpretation of Chopin. :p

Members don't see this ad.

As someone who's in the field of medicine, you shouldn't be so concerned with what other physicians are pulling in. A million dollars a year? That's nothing compared to CEO's of Fortune 500 companies or hedge-fund managers, or some top-level ibankers. Why don't you focus your attention on those making over twenty million a year and leave the lowly doctors alone? I guarantee no practicing physician makes anything like what some of these other guys are pulling in, let's focus on dragging those guys down rather than our own profession down.

just as a side note, many hospitals are non-profits, which distinguishes them from most (if not all) fortune 500 companies.

The entire Penn health system almost collapsed a few years ago. We were a few weeks from making payroll. The University is tied into the healthcare system and could have gone down with it. Both the healthcare system and the University has to be run something like a for profit system to stay afloat.

The line is constantly straddled, both on the University and healthcare system level. It seems like the CEO salary straddles that line too. It's not as big as a fortune 500 company, but not as small as a non-profit.

Members don't see this ad :)
Still, even if it is a non-profit it is still needs to be run well to improve its reputation, bring in research funds, patients, etc. So essentially the dean is acting as an executive. And if you want to consider how important an executive can be to an organization consider what the Steve Jobs and Apple story. Without Steve Jobs apple lost its creative edge was on the verge of bankruptcy. He comes back makes a few brilliant moves and Apple stock and revenues go up 10 fold. I think he deserves his "excessive" salary considering Apple might have gone bust and cease to exist without him. Similarly, if the Dean brings enough to the table he is worth that salary.

Hmm, well there's part of your justification (albeit pretty ****ty) for the ridiculous cost of American medical schools. I don't give a **** what the dean does, how approachable he is, or if unicorns fly out his ass, no one is worth that kind of cash. Furthemore, the tuition at the school is $39,648--not including all the BS fees--annually per student. In other words, that's the tuition of 87 students going into his pocket! At the current rate of medical school tuition increase (nationally speaking), this **** is going to have to come to an end sooner or later. Sadly, the entering classes of today are gonna be the ones getting donkey raped. ****in' exploitation of capitialism at it's finest.

I don't think you understand how companies work.

Certain people (ie the heads of groups, deans, ceos, etc.) bring in much more money, people, prestige, programs, etc. than they are paid. If Dean Rubenstein brings in a lot of capital and prestige, he is more than worth his salary.

Who cares how many student tuitions it is? Students don't increase revenue or give anything to a school.

I don't think you understand how companies work.

Certain people (ie the heads of groups, deans, ceos, etc.) bring in much more money, people, prestige, programs, etc. than they are paid. If Dean Rubenstein brings in a lot of capital and prestige, he is more than worth his salary.

Who cares how many student tuitions it is? Students don't increase revenue or give anything to a school.

As I said before, the tuition example I gave was to put the money thing in perspective (not to literally infer that the Dean is sitting in the office of student accounts come August salivating at the idea of taking ~80 student's tuition). In regards to the bolded comment, I don't really see how that is justified. If you're talking financially, create a cumulative total of how much tuition is paid to the university on an annual basis (before anyone jumps my ass, I know the amount isn't sufficient to run the institution; however, it's a multi-million dollar figure that isn't exactly trivial). In terms of reputation, the students who attend contribute greatly to how an institution is viewed in comparsion to its peers (which can be exploited for financial gain). I'm sure, given the time, I could think of many more examples; however, it's past my bedtime, and my focus is lacking.